• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FGM Brass, worth using?

Vin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2004
Just starting to reload and I know everyone has their preference of brass with Lapua seeming to be the frontrunner. I have been shooting a long time and only used work ammo but now after doing some F Class shoots in the F/TR class I am getting a dedicated rifle and took the plunge to reload. The 168 gr SMK doesn't cut it at the longer ranges compared to the 155's and heavier 175 SMK and 178 A Max etc so I want to be more competitive, hence the reloading.I pretty much have all the once fired brass I could ever use and want to know if the FGM brass is worth using.Any opinions appreciated.

Re: FGM Brass, worth using?

Go ahead and use your Federal brass. A lot of people perpetuate the opinion that Federal GMM brass is junk. In the December issue of Shooting Times, a writer did a brass endurance test and Federal .308 brass lasted through his 20 reload tests.

If I was buying new brass at retail, yes, I would buy Winchester or the higher priced Lapua over Federal, but since you have a cost effective source of once fired Federal, use it.

I have buckets of once fired GMM that I have collected from ranges. The internal capacity is a little less than Winchester or Hornady, but GMM brass works.

I've been using Fed GMM brass (FC headstamp) as well as Hornady match brass for a long time. Works good for me, no problems and plenty accurate. I don't do a full-case resize, just a neck resize.

I've always heard that the Fed brass is softer than most others and eventually the primer pockets would loosen up. I stayed away from it for years because of this. But a few years ago I came across a great deal on a large volume of the stuff and I can't say I've had any problems at all with it. I've never heard of any problems other than short lifespan. It's quality as far as consistency is very good in my experience.

I agree. Reloading practices matter much more. Don't over-resize the cases (bump shoulders the recommended .002 or so)and all works well.

When I started reloading I went through this same thing. For now, use the brass you have. I've got some Federal that are on their 4th loading, no issues yet. I'll continue to load them until they show issues. You'll make a few mistakes early on too and it's easier to throw away the ones you didn't pay .40 - .70 for.

You mention a new dedicated rifle. If it is a custom build with match barrel you might have to look at neck turning the Federal brass or buying thinner brass.

As someone else mentioned above, capacity in the Federal cases is a little less (thicker cases) than some others so take that into consideration when working up your loads. A max load listed using Winchester brass is probably going to be too hot in Federal. As to sizing, make sure to full length resize before you load them for a different rifle.

The Federal brass has been determined to be softer, and their primers are a smidge larger in diameter, which probably helps sell Federal primers.

Where some will bemoan the tendency for Fed primer pockets to open up quickly, I also think they may be overlooking the real culprit, which is hotloading. That will open up primer pockets in any brass, although it seems to be especially prevalent with the Federal stuff.

In truth, I think Federal is a lot more interested in selling great factory ammo, which it does, than in whatever the handloader chooses to do with the cases after they've been fired first.

Federal brass can perform admirably as long as one respects its dislike for hot loads.

Greg

Thanks for your help guys. The info is appreciated. I will use it for now keeping in mind the points mentioned. Cheers.

FGMM brass works fine, just won't take the pressure that Lapua brass will. Wouldn't hesitate if the price is right.