• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FGMM 175 question

yej0001

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Northern CA
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask the question, but I am certain I can get expert advices on this subject here

I recently bought a stack of FGMM 175 gr in 7.62x51 (GM762M2). They are from different vendors and are all headstamped FC 11. In comparison to the shiny FGMM 168 gr I shoot, these 175 gr all have slightly dull colored brass - not quite tarnished, but they appeared as if it's been stored in a underground bunker for a while. Are those ammo actually military M118LR rejects? The brass on my M118LR look similarly colored, but they are all LC LR stamped

I have not shot them, but I am sure they will shoot well. Just curious about the odd cosmetic appearance of this "commercial" ammo

Re: FGMM 175 question

It iis not lr118. Lr118 has lake city brass, the GMM is made by federal in house. They are made separately on the line. The 118 is also held to much tighter tolerances. My source is a chief engineer right at the Anoka plant.. We were just talking about this over the 4th. Not sure on the tarnish.

This was posted before:

From Anoka @ Federal via email:

Ballistics are the same, however, the cases are different. The GM308M2 is built for the commercial customer and is available through commercial stores and websites on a regular basis. The GM762M2 is built to government contract specs and is only available when there are over runs for that load and then are made available to the general public through retailers. The brass case is the main difference the 762 is dull looking while the 308 version is shiny brass.

Thank you for the clarifications. These are the exact answers I am looking for. Thank you guys!

Ok, here's what you are seeing: your 168 has traditional commercial Federal brass casings. Your 175 FGMM that is stamped FC11 uses slightly different brass. that is the Military 7.62 brass Federal makes for NATO standard ammunition. its good stuff. its basically Federal's copy of Lake City brass, as it was explained to me.

-Paulus

Paulus,thank you for the additional info. I will definitely save the brass

Jeff

Email received from Federal Ammunition

XXXXX,

Here is the difference. The 762 has a mil spec case, dull finish and iris around neck and shoulder, and a different head stamp FC and two digit year. The .308 has a commercial case, shiny, and says FC 308 WIN on the head. They both use the same commercial primer, not mil spec, but the 762 primer is staked into the primer pocket. Hope this helps.

Thanks

Federal Premium

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 5:15 PM
To: Anoka Prodserv
Subject: Federal Premium - Ask the Expert Form

What is the difference between your .308WIN 168SMK and 7.62X51NATO 175SMK, besides bullet weight obviously. What is the primer difference? Are they the same are they both military sensitivity or not? I just want to know which one is better designed for an autoloading, floating firing pin rifle. I realize twist rate has alot to do with bullet weight but im more concerned with the primers you guys use. As the SA M1A I have will handle 175 and 168. Im sure you guys get this question all the time. Thanks for the help...

If you are shooting a gas gun, the American Eagle 168OTM load is specifically designed for the M1A.

I shoot it in my bolt gun with excellent results.