• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report FGMM 175's vs M118LR

Psywar1-0

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2005
Indiana
Depending on your POV, Ive either had really good luck, or not and have only ever shot M118, 118LR and M852 thru my bolt gun, I have no exp with civillian ammo. That being said, I no longer have access to Uncle's ammo so am transitioning for the short term to factory loaded match ammo till I get my reloading equipment purchased, set up and running. Anyone have a SWAG on how much of a zero shift I will see from M118LR to Federal GM Match loaded with 175SMK's? Rifle is a Rem 700 PSS, 26 inch barrel in 308

Also on a Gas gun I know there are issues with Black Hill's 175 load popping primers in Mk11's, what about the Federal?

TIA

Luke

Re: FGMM 175's vs M118LR

I would think your zero should be close. If I remember correctly the 118 pushes a 175 about 2650fps and the GMM pushes the same bullet 2600fps. You will probably see better accuracy from the Federal GMM ammo. Once you get into reloading, if you kept your 118LR brass, there is a ton of info on the Reloading page to duplicate the 118LR ammo.

On my Schnieder barrels there is 0 change in POI. On my PSS it is less than 1/2 MOA.

It is what it is, or, for you, what it's going to be. What does it matter? You'll buy it and try it, right? It will give you a result which may or may not be similar to what you've recorded in your score books for what you were shooting. If results are different you'll adjust for it. My experience with M118LR (pre-production lot A), as well as with M852 was that it performed better than FGGM. But, if you can't get it, just get on with what you can get.

Luke,

I have used FGMM occasionally in my Mk11 and SR-25 Match. I haven't had any issues with primers, but the brass is softer, and seems to get chewed up a little more than the 118LR.

Scott

Current ('07) LC M118LR runs at 2718fps out of my 26" barrelled FN SPR, while Fed GMM runs at the advertised 2600fps.

Don

@ 200yds both were almost identical poi. This was yesterday approx 650 ASL @ around 85 degrees f.

Thanks for the Info folks, To save on ammo cost, I will just use my sighters to confirm during the next match......