• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Field Firing Solutions Update - Version 4.8.1.16

AIAW

★★★★★
Minuteman
  • Aug 16, 2001
    Central Texas
    Now available for download. Also, remember to update your World Magnetic Model File to the latest version as the old model file has expired and you will experience a warning with each target selection that has longitude/latitude information present in it.

WMM file only needs updated if not performing the program update (it can be installed separately without touching the program version).

Change log:

Version 4.8.1.16
    1. Sundry maintenance, correction, minor modification changes.
    2. Improve Reset function on rangefinder interface.
    3. Improve data display of Inch/click scope units.
    4. Add option to reboot device from Reset Program tool.

Last edited:
    I have the Tactical on a micro SD and Delta 5 on a standard SD. Is there a reliable tutorial on how to go about this without screwing something up or erasing anything? I’m afraid my computer knowledge isn’t where it needs to be without seeing a walk through of this first.

I have the Tactical on a micro SD and Delta 5 on a standard SD. Is there a reliable tutorial on how to go about this without screwing something up or erasing anything? I’m afraid my computer knowledge isn’t where it needs to be without seeing a walk through of this first.

Just treat your cards as two different instances. Same procedure for each card. Perform the update with the cards removed - I.E.: Don’t use the PDA as a USB card reader, to simplify things.

To summarize the update process, it’s just replacing files on the card, that’s it.

Program update instructions can be found here: Link

Updating the World Magnetic File: Link

Is he ever going to update it to an operating system created in the last 20 years?

Blaine has been contemplating doing that, but it's a full rewrite in an entirely different language. No porting option to say Android or such. That's a pretty big task to undertake - completely redesigning the app from the ground-up in a new language.

Coldbore and ATRAG are in that same situation, hence why there is no other OS option for those either.

Windows Mobile hardware sucks and is starting to get difficult to procure new these days. Got to give Windows Mobile credit - it's damn stable at least. Entirely not the case for Android or (especially) iOS 13.x.

Hypothetically if there was say an Android port of FFS, then best thing you could do is disable automatic OS updates and use it solely as a ballistics calculator.

Big task or not hardware and software left WM behind a long time ago.

I have Delta V on a nomad, love the program, hate the ancient device I have to use

Common complaint for sure.

Somewhat technical for some and I've never tried this (I could I suppose if I can find time) but technically you could run a full-blow say Windows 7/10 install but run the Windows Mobile SDK which has a Windows Mobile emulator. The trick is getting the SD-card CID to pass through to the emulator (which is required to launch the program). You could then use any hardware that ran Windows "desktop" then.

You'd sacrafice any GPS, RS-232 or BT connectivity (if that mattered) for sure. The downside, no matter what the physical screen size you'd still have to use it at the same resolution since the program is written specifically for 768x480.

I performed the update and the new exe file has 12/21/19 as the date but when I go to the program and view the version it says I’m still running .12 and not .16

I performed the update and the new exe file has 12/21/19 as the date but when I go to the program and view the version it says I’m still running .12 and not .16

Click the "Get Program Identifiers" and it will display the new version. It's just the old "About" information cached in a file.

See photos

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      253.6 KB · Views: 117
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      538.9 KB · Views: 128
    It worked, thanks. Now to update my other one but it always goes fine after you learn on the first.

Reactions: AIAW
    Updated, there's a WMF in the updater so I don't think that needs to be done separately

Updated, there's a WMF in the updater so I don't think that needs to be done separately

Yep, this is correct. My first post outlines that the WMF can be done separately if the user wishes to not touch the program version (some people are touchy with updates if they have everything just as they like it and it's running just fine).

AIAW,

At the risk of hijacking your thread I have a question. How would you handle the following, after creating your ffp and range card with targets you have to change your ffp to another location. What is the best way of handling the change in the ffp in the program.

AIAW,

At the risk of hijacking your thread I have a question. How would you handle the following, after creating your ffp and range card with targets you have to change your ffp to another location. What is the best way of handling the change in the ffp in the program.

No worries. I can type that up for you, but it sort of depends if you are using target groups or not.

Have a peek at this video, then let me know if that doesn't answer your questions (or just complicates things more).

Thanks. I think I found what I needed. After I’ve created my ffp and target group if I move to another ffp I simply hit the gps button at the bottom of the target range card and that brings up the ffp file editor then just hit accept and it updates the ffp file with the new coordinates and changes the ranges and direction and ultimately the solution

Thanks. I think I found what I needed. After I’ve created my ffp and target group if I move to another ffp I simply hit the gps button at the bottom of the target range card and that brings up the ffp file editor then just hit accept and it updates the ffp file with the new coordinates and changes the ranges and direction and ultimately the solution

Excellent, that will definitely work (and is how it's designed to be used with target groups also) with no LRF connected.

Now available for download. Also, remember to update your World Magnetic Model File to the latest version as the old model file has expired and you will experience a warning with each target selection that has longitude/latitude information present in it.

WMM file only needs updated if not performing the program update (it can be installed separately without touching the program version).

Change log:

Version 4.8.1.16
    1. Sundry maintenance, correction, minor modification changes.
    2. Improve Reset function on rangefinder interface.
    3. Improve data display of Inch/click scope units.
    4. Add option to reboot device from Reset Program tool.

Thanks for the post and will update both my units running FFS.

hi mates...need an info... confirm that FFS delta V is out of production? on web site no more updates and Blane told me that FFS V is over...
    ??

Thx

Well shit, I guess I’m finally going to be one of those guys still using legacy tools years from now.

“Hey old timer, what the hell kind of rig is that?”

Reactions: Laseredge
    Well shit, I guess I’m finally going to be one of those guys still using legacy tools years from now.

“Hey old timer, what the hell kind of rig is that?”

I hear that at almost every match I attend. “What’s that for?” .....” Calling Tokyo, Godzilla is on the other line.. “

Reactions: Laseredge
    I normally shoot far far far away from others and rarely go to public ranges unless it's early in the AM (I'm not a fan of humans), and still almost any time someone sees me with my Nomad plugging away I get comments like "that's the biggest iPhone I've ever seen" or "you know they make apps for your phone now."

I’m working with Blaine now to get the license transferred over to Gunsite. We plan on moving it to Android, but will continue making and supporting the WM system. I’ve got the code now, just need tho get the legal stuff finalized.
    Thank you for the continued WM support!

Reactions: aam
    @CoryT
    Hi Cory..where we can find any possible WM upgrades ? On Lextalus.com? Or there'll be a new website? Thx.
    John

6.1 is the latest version of Windows Mobile, then there is Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5. It’s solid as is, no more updates coming.

We just got paperwork from Blaine, so we are getting close. I’ve got a full setup for building new WM cards, I’ve ported the code over to Visual Studio 2019 and I’ve started an Android project with the trajectory engin.

Ive got one complete system available on a Nomad, with serial boot, data cable and Vector IV that will get posted in the PX shortly.

Anyone having issues, needing updates or so forth can contact me directly, I’ll get you sorted out.

6.1 is the latest version of Windows Mobile, then there is Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5. It’s solid as is, no more updates coming.

We just got paperwork from Blaine, so we are getting close. I’ve got a full setup for building new WM cards, I’ve ported the code over to Visual Studio 2019 and I’ve started an Android project with the trajectory engin.

Ive got one complete system available on a Nomad, with serial boot, data cable and Vector IV that will get posted in the PX shortly.

Anyone having issues, needing updates or so forth can contact me directly, I’ll get you sorted out.
    Thx Cory.

Thanks for working on that Cory! Me and the pops (Larry/Yardsale Tactical) were very excited to see Gunsite acquiring FFS.

Think it would dominate the ballistic software market on both the Android and Apple app stores.

-Ryan
    Full targeting kit now posted.
    Vector/Nomad/FFS targeting kit

Just tested the GPS targeting function at 8153 yards and got within 30 feet of Google Earth coordinates for the point.

Now when the Lex Talus website is long gone, where can I find the v. 4.8.1.16 update?