• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Field Precision Rifle Class Concept Approved!

NorCal Vu

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2004
Sacramento Area
Field Precision Rifle Class Concept Approved by the NRA HP Committee.

All,

I was invited to join in on the NRA High Power Committee’s conference call to discuss the possibility of Field Precision Rifle Class (FPR) aka F-Tactical becoming an official classification in F-Class.

After about a 20 minute discuss, the NRA HP Committee members approved FPR/F-Tactical in concept. There were too many questions and what ifs to answer right then and there, so I will be working with a committee member located in Sacramento on the finer details of this classification.

They were actually thinking of pushing it through for this coming year, but that was not meant to be. I expressed that I rather go back and refine things, rather than putting something out there half ass.

So the good news is the NRA is seriously thinking of including this classification under F-Class. This would mean TAC shooters can compete in our own class, and be ranked nationally.

Bad news: No brakes or suppressors. This would be a deal breaker for the committee members, so I agreed to change the rules to not allow brakes or suppressors. It is what it is.

Over all, I think this is one step forward in the right direction. This classification will give competitors that are just starting out a place to learn LR shooting, without having to run and gun. Or the guys that are retiring from all the run and gun stuff, but want to keep on shooting a TAC precision rife. This also adds another venue for us to compete among our peers with the hardware we have.

So what’s next?

I’ll be working with Rob Thomas (fellow club shooter) and the NRA HP Committee on finalizing the rules and specs for the classification over the next several months.

What I need from everyone (even if you don’t even plan on shooting one of these events):

1. I need everyone to post the specs of their rifle and weight with bi-pod attached. The more details on the rifle, the better.

Stock configuration:
Optic:
Barrel contour:
Caliber:
Mounting system, Rings, Base:
Bi-Pod:

I need as many rifle weight specs as possible. Those that have stock AI, Sako, Savages, ect. Please give me your specs as well.

Thank you,

Vu

Re: Field Precision Rifle Class Concept Approved!

That's awesome news Vu!

I shoot the same specs as you. However, one stock to add is the JP AMCS stock. Weight is 83 ounces for the chassis. Do you want the overall length and width?

My rifle is Sako TRG Folder 22, 20" heavy barrel, spuhr mount, s&b 5-25x56, trg bipod.

Weight without ammo 17lbs 9oz

Great news Vu and thanks for the time you put into this.

glad you're working on this, but "no break, no suppressor" should be a deal breaker us

otherwise, what's the point? bipod instead of rest?

don't give up on that too fast

Thanks for the efforts Vu. W/O brake or suppressor this is not interesting to me. It further elucidates that the NRA is out of touch with the competitive tactical shooting community.

Keep pushing!

Thanks for meeting with them Vu!

One problem is I'd have to take my tactical rifle to a gunsmith to get the brake off. I leave them on til I need a new barrel.

We like our brakes and suppressors. Concerning this subject I'd tell em take it or leave it.

MAK tube kit M700,HDMR,ARC rings,Harris 6-9,17.5lbs for mine unloaded.

The Surgeon XL is about 22 lbs set up the same.

Here are my specs Vu

Surgeon Scalpel
Stock configuration: AICS 2.0
Optic: S&B 5-25
Barrel contour: Heavy Palma
Caliber: 6.5 Creedmoor
Mounting system, Rings, Base: Seekins Rings
Bi-Pod: Altas with BT17

18.4lbs.

Here are my specs:

Stock: AICS 2.0
Barrel Contour: Bartlein 26" Varmint/Sendero
Optic: Schmidt & Bender PMII 4-16x50mm
Mounts: Badger Ordance on a 20MOA base on the M2008 Action
Bipod: Atlas
Caliber: 260 Remington
Weight with 5 shot AW magazine w/0 Suppressor: 17.25 lbs

"We like our brakes and suppressors. Concerning this subject I'd tell em take it or leave it."

about sums it up, too many useless rules

Outstanding Vu!

Stock configuration: <span style="font-weight: bold">AICS 2.0</span>
Optic: <span style="font-weight: bold">USO SN-3 3.2-17x44mm</span>
Barrel contour: <span style="font-weight: bold">27" MTU, R+D RAD brake</span>
Caliber: <span style="font-weight: bold">6.5mm Creedmoor </span>
Mounting system, Rings, Base: <span style="font-weight: bold">Badger Ordnance low rings, Stiller 20 MOA base.</span>
Bi-Pod: <span style="font-weight: bold">Harris 6"-9" swivel </span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">TAB sling</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Alpha Industries, McRee and AI magazines 5's/10's</span>

Rifle comes in at 18.5 lbs.

Barrel: #8 at 28" chambered in 284win threaded 5/8X24
Action: Remington Long Action (Trued & Blueprinted)
Trigger: Timney Tactical 8oz
Stock: McRee T-Mag
Base: EGW 20MOA
Rings: Burris Extreme Tactical 30mm
Optics: NF NSX
Bi-Pod: Atlas V8
Mono-Pod: AccuShot BT-13
Slind: Tag Gear fluch Cups
Weight: 18lbs +/- .5lbs

I hope this helps....
laugh.gif

I concur with several others great progress Vu but no breaks or cans makes it a no go for a lot of us active long range tactical match shooters

I don't understand,
does the NRA want everyone to eat recoil or just shoot pee wee calibers?

Disallowing brakes or supressors and then putting in a weight limit on rifles will push everyone into the 5.56 or 6mm platform

Stock: ACIS 2.0
Action: Stiller Tac 30 with Stiller 20MOA rail
Barrel: Krieger5R 1-8.5" #14 HEAVY PALMA 28 inch with brake.
Chamber: 6.5 Creedmoor/140 A-Max@2850fps
Trigger: Jewell set @1#
Rings: Seekins Precision 34mm Lows
Bi-Pod: Harris 6 to 9 notched leg with swivel
Scope: Leupold Mark4 M5A 6.5-20X50mm FFP Mil/Mil with Horus
Vision H-58
Sling: TAB Gear
Weight: ?

Action: Stiller LH TAC30
Stock configuration: Manners T4A w/ mini chassis
Optic: US Optics SN3 3.8-22x w/ GAP reticle
Barrel contour: 26" Bartlein Medium Palma 1-7.5 twist
Mounting system, Rings, Base: Stiller 20 MOA rail, USO 35mm rings
Caliber: 6XC w/ 115 DTAC's
Bi-Pod: Harris swivel bipod w/ podlock
Weight: 17 pounds

What was their concern/reasoning behind no breaks or cans? Those two items help MAKE a tactical rifle. Breaks I can KINDA see, as your neighbor eats your blast, but cans?? For heavens sake, they are legal AND tactical to boot.

No idea on mine. Chad has not started it yet.

I have a few at home I can weigh for you later.

I am a certified NRA instructor and can tell you they have some serious P.C. rules in teaching their classes like calling the pistol a weapon is forbidden in a NRA pistol class. My bet it is tied to that and the normal "whinning" I hear from bench rest and high power shooters about how noisy my breaks are on the line. The silencers who know other than more P.C..

All the above said thanks to Vu for fighting the good fight!

AI-X
S&B 5-25
Standard Palma Contour, 28 inches
6CM, 260 and 308
Badger rings
Atlas Bi-Pod
Badger Brake or Shark can
17-18 lbs

Thanks for all your hard work on this.

Surgeon Action
Bartlein barrel 27 inches
Cal 260Rem
Custom Handmade Aluminum Stock
Tubb Brake or Shark Suppressor
Premier Reticle 5-25
Badger Ordnance USMC Rings
TAB sling
Atlas Bipod
Weight is around 19lbs

Defiance S/a
NF F1
Bartlein 22.5 w/ BO fte mtu
Aics 2.0 w/atlas
NF rings
16-17 lbs?

I agree with many of the above comments. I get the brake restriction but Cans? Really? I would tell them to Eat It! if they can't atleast go with cans.

Action: Defiance Mutant long action
Stock: CCS MTR (tube gun)
Barrel Contour: Brux 27" Med palma
Optic: Nightforce 5.5X22X56 mil/mil
Mounts: Burris Tactical
Bipod: Harris
Caliber: 7MM WSM
Weight with 5 shot AW magazine 15lbs

Stock: McMillan A5
Action: Surgeon 591
Barrel: Krieger 1/8.5 twist #14 HEAVY PALMA 26 inch
Chamber: .260 AI
Trigger: Jewell at 1.2#
Rings: TPS low
Bi-Pod: Harris 6-9 notched leg with swivel and KMW pod lock
Scope: Leupold Mark4 M5 6.5-20X50mm FFP TMR
Weight: 16.5 without mag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taliv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">glad you're working on this, but "no break, no suppressor" should be a deal breaker us

otherwise, what's the point? bipod instead of rest?

don't give up on that too fast </div></div>
Totally agree.

The NRA is stuck in 1965 on this one.

If it's "tactical", then the shooters on either side of you must get used to the fact that rifles are loud and have muzzle blast. If you can't take it, go shoot benchrest.

This is as silly as pistol matches requiring that all draw strokes be "from concealment". Not every "defensive" use starts from that condition.

Thanks for you hard work on this Vu

6X47 Lapua
Surgeon 591
Vbull DBM using AI mags
Jewell HVR trigger
Broughton- Barrel HV contour 26"
McMillan A5 stock w/GAP camo
NF 1.125 rings
NF 5.5-22X56 scope
Sinclair Tactical Bipod
Weight 19.08 lbs

Thanks for your efforts. I agree to shoot without my can would be an issue. The good thing is many local match directors would be willing to allow cans and breaks if they were away from the main body of shooters. At least that is the policy at CO matches in the past.

Stock: McMillan A5
Action: Rem 700
Barrel: Rock 1/8.75 twist MTU 30 inch
Chamber: .284 Win
Trigger: Jewell at 2.2#
Rings: USO
Bi-Pod: Harris 9-11 notched leg with swivel and KMW pod lock
Scope: USO SN-3 3.2-17
Weight: 18.5

Same specs except .260 Rem that weighs in at 15.5

This is good news! I only hope the course of fire remains consistent with tactical flavor. I too think Suppressor's and break should be permitted. As one already said. Next thing you know it will be all 6mm stuff.

- Rodger's Rifle Shop Custom 6.5-06
-Surgeon XL with .308 bolt face
-KMW Sentinel stock w/ bottom metal and mag and EFR mount
-Rock 26in M40 6.5 with 1-8 twist barrel
-Timney 510 trigger
-Vortex 35mm rings
-Vortex 5-20
-Harris bi-pod

19lbs

GAP Rock .308
24" Bartlein 1-11.25
Titan muzzle brake
Trued remington action
Manners molded in camo stock
factory trigger set to 2.5 lbs
Badger 30mm Ring
Nightforce 3.5-15 MLR

16.5 Lbs

I'll post my specs when I get home...

As far as muzzle breaks/ cans... I'm an NRA instructor also, and they are crazy about some of the PC speak... but in this case I suspect it might have more to do with the fact that not everyone can legally own a can... they probably are trying to make the rules fair over all 50 states?

This looks great Vu

R700- .308
AICS
Rock Creek 1:10 M40 contour
TPS 20 MOA rail / high 30mm rings
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 mil/mil EBR-1
Harris 6"-9" swivel notched leg model bipod
Timney trigger @ 2.5#

Go brakes and cans or don't go at all. Earlier this year at a range I was denied shooting because my actual hunting rifle had a muzzle brake on it. I even offered to move several spots away from the other shooters. Shoot with a can just once and you won't shoot it any other way.

Good Job! and Good Luck!

Stock configuration: Manners T4a
Optic: PST
Barrel contour: AMU profile, 32"
Caliber: 7mm-300 Win Belted Mag
Mounting system, Rings, Base: EGW 20moa base, Tactical rings
Bi-Pod: Sinclare tactical

Unloaded weight: 18:10

And like so many other's said- I aint taking my brake off. They can kiss my foot. (this from a former Highpower and current F-class shooter)

WHAT DOES THE NRA HAVE AGAINST BRAKES?

The ONLY reason (B*itch) I can See the NRA might have with Muzzle brakes is that if the guy right next to me on the line breaks his shot a mili-second before I do, his brake diverted gases might, possibly, (unlikely) impart a lateral movement to my bullet's path that I had no way of planning, detecting or holding for.

And that's theoretical and REALLY splitting hairs.

What is their deals with brakes?? We're all already wearing hearing pro and QUITE used to the noise and percussion.

I am glad to see people trying to advance the world of shooting however I honestly see no benefit in this. All your doing is opening up yet another category to compete under in F-class. The competition will then be the same, same scoring ring etc same distance. The only way I could see a purpose in this is if you were to open an actual NRA sanctioned tactical match. That would mean shooting unknown distance and steel targets out to x distance rather than known distance 800-900 and 1000y on a bulls-eye target. I honestly think the way to go if you want to do something like this would be for the NRA to open a class like this and mix the two types of competition. Shoot one day Bulls-eye style shooting like current F-class and the next day shoot all unknown distance. That would show who is the best in both worlds. And compromising on things like brakes and suppressors is the wrong direction as well. Tell them to allow them or be left behind in this area of competition. Just my 2cents.

Awesome! Hate living 40 minutes from a 1000 yd range and not being able to compete because I rock a huge brake.

Remington 700 stainless 300 win
Barrel: Kreiger 10 MTU w/ big chubby brake
Stock: Mcmillian A5 adj
Metal: Badger detachable
Near 35 MOA base
NF Medium rings
NF 22x
Harris bipod
Weight: 16.4 is what the scale says. my perfectly calibrated arms say its about 95 pounds or so

Sorry it took me so long to get this info to you. It really sucks not being able to read. A friend of mine said I was illiterate but I told him my mom and dad were married.

Anyway here it is if you still can use it.

Stock: Manners T5-A terry cross cheek piece.
Optic: Schmidt Bender PM II 5-25 P4 Fine
Barrell: Bartlein 26" Without can 1 1\4 strait taper
Caliber: 6.5 X 47 Lapua
Mounting System: Near Picatiny rail with mark 4 rings
Bipod: Harris 9-13" LM
Weight: 18.5 lbs

Looking forward to having class. Thanks for taking the time to get it going I hope it evolves a little. It is a starting point.

Stock configuration: AIAW
Optic: Schmidt 5-25x56 or Steiner 4-16x50
Barrel contour: 1960 (medium palma)
Caliber: 260
Mounting system, Rings, Base: Spuhr
Bi-Pod: Atlas
19.5 lbs

Vu, I think what you are doing is great, I on occasion will leave my f-open rifle at home and take a Tac rifle, to a f-class match to burn up old ammo or stuff that didn't shoot as well as I hoped.

Some of the comments here I am having a small problem with, I'm not sure many of these guys even know the format of an f-class match which is often included in the palma matches.

Your mostly shooting paper targets on a rotational basis and having to score and do pit service for the other shooters. Not really as fun as shooting steel, but great feed-back with the spotter disk and I think it helps a ton on getting a real fine and precise handle on wind reading, if you use it as a tool rather than rapid fire chasing your spotter.

I think the suppresor issue is due to; the rules need to work in all 50 states, and cans are not allowed in all 50 states.

The guys that may not understand the brake issue, I think that when you see a palma match you may understand, some of the competitors shooting 3 feet away may be shooting prone rifle free hand with only a sling. Concussion could really screw with there scores. BUT if you guys were the only ones on the line I would see no problem with it, I would even role out the Lapua and shoot with you.

You guys can all currently take your unbraked tac rifles and shoot in any palma/f-class match.

The reasoning behind what Vu is doing is getting you your own class so your competing against similar set-ups; Which to your obvious dislike is going to require some equipment rules.

First if you have not shot an F-Class TR match you need to go shoot it even if you borrow a rifle to do it. Once you have done this you will have a better understanding of what is being asked. You will also see how the open class is an event of who can dump the most time and money into their rifle and load development. The only real challenge for open class often seems to be getting a consistent wind call as some of those rifles damn near shoot themselves. I have done a lot of shooting around some pretty obnoxious muzzle breaks and even with hearing protection on the concussion, dust and debris kicked up, along with the influence it has on adjacent shooter's concentration can make for a bad range experience for everyone. As far as running cans I wish they were required on all rifles, what a nice place to shoot that would be. There are ranges in Europe that you are considered rude if you do not run a can on your gun.

Let me see if I understand the reason for the new class:
1. inclusion of brakes and suppressors (currently not permitted in F-class TR)
2. wider scope of calibers permitted (can only shoot 7.62x51 and 5.56 now)
3. use of a tactical rifle verses open class sled guns verses "new tactical ? class " (only differences from current F-Class TR is caliber, rifle weight, brakes & suppressors, and having to use a bipod)
4. to have a venue that would allow inclusion in a nationally recognized ranking system and classification.
5. provide a venue for shooters to basically shoot whatever they want at paper targets for score

Why under the umbrella of F-Class? The current restrictions are intended to level the playing field (at least in the TR class) and make the competition more about the shooter's skill instead of how much money can be dumped into a rifle (like others have said if you want to play that game shoot bench rest or F-Class Open). Would this new class allow .50 BMG or Cheytac chambering’s? Is there going to be a minimum caliber?

Sounds to me as if the NRA needs to be petitioned to create a new shooting event that can then be broken down into paper punching for score and a run and gun on steel. Then each of those broken down by caliber (for example: sub .30cal., .30cal., over.30cal, and over .40cal) with progressive classifications awarded for proficiency.
A lot of the above is the same reason why IDPA, USPSA, IPSC, and lord only know what others have been created. Three Gun stuff is becoming very popular and the NRA has gotten on board with it but only after others have done to the leg work to make it a viable shooting sport with established rules and classifications.
Precision rifle shooting is the new golf and has increased in popularity by leaps and bounds in the past ten years. I remember the first Sniper’s Hide / Rifles Only match I shot we didn’t have near the shooters attend, let alone fill the match up within seconds on registration day. Maybe it is time for the evolution of a national organization dedicated to the advancement of precision tactical rifle shooting. The development of the “Precision Rifle Series” is a fine example of where this discipline of rifle shooting is headed.
Just a few thoughts I had on the subject and I would certainly be interested in hearing others thoughts and if there is support for a nationally organized precision/tactical rifle group then let’s move forward with that.

savage mod 10 ,MCM A-5
bushnell hdmr
rem sendero fluted
.260 rem, 7mm/08, .308, .223
ai mount, egw base
atlas , harris bipod
13 lbs unloaded

Manners T4A
LH R700 .308 by GAP
Bartlein 22" fluted 11.25 #7
Badger mount, rings & brake
S&B 5-25 PMII
Parker-Hale bipod
15.5 lbs empty

I appreciate the hard work, but I'm not sure that I understand what the sport currently lacks that it would have with the NRA on board even without the absurd equipment restrictions.

My AI doesn't have a brake (yet) or a suppressor (yet), but even so I'd have zero interest in shooting a match that prohibited the usage of either.

Any interaction I've had with regards to NRA training classes and regulations have made me bitter...like the Range Officer certifications that completely fail to teach new ROs how to clear or operate many commonly and uncommonly encountered weapons on the firing line. The NRA's attitude continues to be "If it's not a traditional hunting rifle, police service pistol, or .22LR, we're going to stick our head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist." Then, of course, there's the benchrest crowd.

The things that go on in serious tactical carbine and rifle matches would send most NRA bureaucrats into sheer apoplexy...

The NRA allows muzzle devices in Service rifle so its a little hypocrytical to take that position on brakes. Noise? Muzzle blast? Dirt and Debris?

I think it may be time to invest in one of those cute little wheeled carts so we don't have to hump our gear.

Pesonally I think the NRA is just seeing dollar signs here. 10 years ago they wouldn't give the tactical community the time of day. Maybe that favor should be returned. The NRA just may be bad for this sport and unfortunately we won't know that until the damage is done.

Somebody needs to create the NTRA...National Tactical Rifle Assn.

I can understand the cans more than the brakes really. Cans aren't legal in all 50 like mentioned by Jim See. Unfortunatly I live in one of those states (yes I know I could move), but if I managed to make it to an event out of my state I still wouldn't be able to run a can. So I can understand that aspect of it.
The brake I'm still not sure on. I can imagine that some rifles are pretty obnoxious with there brakes, but why should that be a limiting factor for a tac competition?