• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Field Precision Rifle Class in F-Class Matches?

Re: Field Precision Rifle Class in F-Class Matches?

I think I understand what you're trying to accomplish. This is an interesting thread to read from my perspective: a former HP shooter ("Coat and sling guy") whose eyes are bad enough now that he can't see irons that well anymore. The kids are now old enough that they're not consuming every waking moment, and I am gravitating back to the rifle, this time with a scope.

F class is therefore somewhat attractive, but it seems to be "benchrest prone." Most of you probably understand why this offends the sensibilities of the coat and sling crowd: if you put a ten pound tripod under the front of the rifle (driven into the ground with stakes), and a bag under the rear, and add a 6 ounce trigger to a 17 pound rifle with a three inch flat spot on the forend of the stock, what have you accomplished other than moving the bench to the ground?

Don't get me wrong; I love benchrest shooters, they push the envelope and make eq available to the more practical among us. But I have no interest at all in benchrest shooting, no moreso if the bench has merely been cleverly moved to the ground. If I ever show up at an F Class match I'll be shooting against myself. I know that and am totally OK with it. I don't need trophies, I need to be able to hit targets at distance without having to pull a cart behind me.

I guess I'm a curmudgeon. Tough. I am the only one at my club who lays on the ground to shoot. Recent extensions to both ends of the covered benchrest firing points at the rifle range of my club resulted in my having to ask for special dispensation to keep some dirt space alongside the covered positions and some space between the new benches that were being added so that I could lay between them under the cover if I chose to.

When asked why I didn't shoot from a bench I replied: "If I could figure out a way to get the deer-sized game to reliably file past me while I was comfortably seated at a bench, then I would shoot from a bench." Does this make me an old fashioned "coat and sling" purist? I don't think so.

I shoot prone from a bipod, no rear bag. The only accommodations I sometimes allow myself are my coat and my mat, no sling. Sometimes it's just the mat, and sometimes I hose down with OFF and lay in the dirt. The guys think I'm nuts, or uncivilized, or something else. I need to find a good set of elbow pads that aren't all slippy on the bottom. Any suggestions? Buy a regular set and glue rubber on them?

BTW, on a recent outing I shot three 3-shot groups at 100 yards that measured 0.575", 0.525", and 0.550" on the same piece of paper. The aggregate of the three groups is probably 0.8". I think I'm doing OK for an old curmudgeon. But they're three shot groups, so am I even allowed to mention them?

So here's my critique of Field Precision Rifle: lose the rear support. Lose the bullet weight specifications. You've got the specs down so hard, especially the ammo, it looks to me like "State/Local Police Issue Match". Which is OK with me if that's what you want. Is that what you want?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWRichmond</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So here's my critique of Field Precision Rifle: lose the rear support. Lose the bullet weight specifications. You've got the specs down so hard, especially the ammo, it looks to me like "State/Local Police Issue Match". Which is OK with me if that's what you want. Is that what you want? </div></div>

I believe what Vu is coming up with, and correct me if wrong, is a F style cof while using rifles more commonly seen at tactical style matches. The bullet weights are really only for .223 and .308. The .308 wieghts are the common ones for match grade ammo as are the .223, although I haven't seen any loaded ammo with 92 grain bullets. This sort of levels the field for those that do not reload. Based on the proposed rules, most of the shooters that go out will have to make no changes or modifications to their rifles to shoot Field Precision. That and the standard F'ers won't complain about brakes
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I believe what Vu is coming up with, and correct me if wrong, is a F style cof while using rifles more commonly seen at tactical style matches. The bullet weights are really only for .223 and .308. The .308 wieghts are the common ones for match grade ammo as are the .223, although I haven't seen any loaded ammo with 92 grain bullets. This sort of levels the field for those that do not reload. Based on the proposed rules, most of the shooters that go out will have to make no changes or modifications to their rifles to shoot Field Precision. That and the standard F'ers won't complain about brakes
wink.gif
</div></div>

I've never shot a "tactical" match before; do you guys carry rear bags around with you? I guess that's something I ought to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWRichmond</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
wink.gif
</div></div>

I've never shot a "tactical" match before; do you guys carry rear bags around with you? I guess that's something I ought to know. </div></div>

I have only been out with Vu's club, NCPPRC, a few times but, everyone I have seen has some sort of rear support, most being a bag of some sort. Generally guys are carrying their gear in a back pack. You start at 200 yds generally then walk from there all the way to 1k then walk back to the target pits. You have to hump all your needed gear the entire time. They are small though, like the bags Triad sells. With some of the smaller ones guys will fasten them to the rear sling attachment point to keep it with the rifle. Times are short between cof so you need to get your shit together quick.

There was a time when F Class was shot in just two flavors, rests and bipods. Then came all the other ideas, like caliber restrictions, etc. Honestly, I liked it more when it was simpler.

One of the things the changes did was to put F Class and the other Highpower shooters on different targets. I think that tended to isolate F Class shooters some from the mainstream.

Meanwhile, if you're gonna do the thing, I think your ideas are well considered; and sincerely hope your outcomes are pleasing to you.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWRichmond</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I understand what you're trying to accomplish. This is an interesting thread to read from my perspective: a former HP shooter ("Coat and sling guy") whose eyes are bad enough now that he can't see irons that well anymore. The kids are now old enough that they're not consuming every waking moment, and I am gravitating back to the rifle, this time with a scope.

F class is therefore somewhat attractive, but it seems to be "benchrest prone." Most of you probably understand why this offends the sensibilities of the coat and sling crowd: if you put a ten pound tripod under the front of the rifle (driven into the ground with stakes), and a bag under the rear, and add a 6 ounce trigger to a 17 pound rifle with a three inch flat spot on the forend of the stock, what have you accomplished other than moving the bench to the ground?

Don't get me wrong; I love benchrest shooters, they push the envelope and make eq available to the more practical among us. But I have no interest at all in benchrest shooting, no moreso if the bench has merely been cleverly moved to the ground. If I ever show up at an F Class match I'll be shooting against myself. I know that and am totally OK with it. I don't need trophies, I need to be able to hit targets at distance without having to pull a cart behind me.

I guess I'm a curmudgeon. Tough. I am the only one at my club who lays on the ground to shoot. Recent extensions to both ends of the covered benchrest firing points at the rifle range of my club resulted in my having to ask for special dispensation to keep some dirt space alongside the covered positions and some space between the new benches that were being added so that I could lay between them under the cover if I chose to.

When asked why I didn't shoot from a bench I replied: "If I could figure out a way to get the deer-sized game to reliably file past me while I was comfortably seated at a bench, then I would shoot from a bench." Does this make me an old fashioned "coat and sling" purist? I don't think so.

I shoot prone from a bipod, no rear bag. The only accommodations I sometimes allow myself are my coat and my mat, no sling. Sometimes it's just the mat, and sometimes I hose down with OFF and lay in the dirt. The guys think I'm nuts, or uncivilized, or something else. I need to find a good set of elbow pads that aren't all slippy on the bottom. Any suggestions? Buy a regular set and glue rubber on them?

BTW, on a recent outing I shot three 3-shot groups at 100 yards that measured 0.575", 0.525", and 0.550" on the same piece of paper. The aggregate of the three groups is probably 0.8". I think I'm doing OK for an old curmudgeon. But they're three shot groups, so am I even allowed to mention them?

So here's my critique of Field Precision Rifle: lose the rear support. Lose the bullet weight specifications. You've got the specs down so hard, especially the ammo, it looks to me like "State/Local Police Issue Match". Which is OK with me if that's what you want. Is that what you want? </div></div>

Sir,

Almost every shooter I know that shoot tac matches carries some sort of rear support. We are not talking a big 10lb bunny ear support, we are talking a lil bean bag or something of that nature. No different than some guy using a big creedmore glove.

Taking away the restrictions that you have mentioned turns this into F-TR or F-Open.

Hey, when I came to F TR Class I shot a basic M40A3 from GAP, with factory ammo. I loved the type of shooting but found to be competitive I needed a more purpose built rifle. I abandonded the short rifle and went to 30" with larger bipod. I loaded my ammo to a precision level that requires so much detail I hate loading it. What Vu has done is bring it down a huge knotch where a guy off the street can show up with basic kit and be competitive.

Now some are worried this will take away from thier pie but what it really will do is create a training ground and in the end there will be more F Class shooters not less