• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Field Test: Weaver 3-15 vs. Vortex PST 4-16 & 6-24

Re: Field Test: Weaver 3-15 vs. Vortex PST 4-16 & 6-24

^^2.5-10x44, are you referring to the Kaspa? The one at Sportsman guide?

Weaver has a few decent lines of long range scopes, the Grand Slam; which the 1" tube 3-10x40 tactical is based on http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2008275&page=1 , and Super Slam tactical, the scope in this thread. The Kaspa is a Chinese manufactured economic line of scopes. Sure you get some of the bells and whistles of the Grand Slam and Super Slam but I have been burnt by enough Chinese crap to not go down that road again. ATK has great customer service and the Kaspas are covered, but when I am hours away from home, I dont want a warranty, I want a guarantee.

Now Weaver does/will have the 2-10x36 might be an option. http://swfa.com/Weaver-2-10x36-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P55483.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Introduction:</span></span>
After verifying that the scopes were indeed level in the rings on each rifle, we set the rifles in a vise at 100 +-.5 yds from a 10 mil x 5 mil grid that is plumb and level. The
John </div></div>

Hi John,

Great review. Did you bought the 10 mil x5 mil chart or made one yourself?

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin LA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Introduction:</span></span>
After verifying that the scopes were indeed level in the rings on each rifle, we set the rifles in a vise at 100 +-.5 yds from a 10 mil x 5 mil grid that is plumb and level. The
John </div></div>

Hi John,

Great review. Did you bought the 10 mil x5 mil chart or made one yourself?

Kevin </div></div>

We made it ourselves using a Stabila level and drew a 20 mil x 10 mil cross (referenced to 100 yds.) on the shop rollup door. Orange crosshair stickie dots at center, 10 mil up/down and 5 mil L/R.

John

Thanks for the great review. I am new to this and looking at getting one of these and this has helped me make my decision.

Also thanks to all for all the great reviews and info!

John's test shows the Weaver is an exceptional scope for the money. It is more difficult to design a 5X zoom scope (Weaver) than 4X (Vortexs). 15X is the maximum power for Weaver, but only medium power for the Vortexs. Most scopes are sharper at medium power than max power. And yet the Weaver resolves only slightly worse than the Vortexs. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin LA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. I wish I still have my drafting board. </div></div>

You'd need a pretty big table.
wink.gif
IIRC, 10 mils at 100 yds. is 6'.

The nice thing about this setup is that in addition to checking elevation accuracy, you can verify that your scope is mounted level. If the crosshairs track L/R at all as you move the turret through its travel (Assuming the rifle is leveled) your scope is off. I actually verified some unexplained windage I was seeing in the field at 600 and 1000 yds. with a scope I have mounted with feeler gauges. It wasn't off much... but it WAS off. Enough for me to see it in the shot.

John

What a let down. I thought this was a new review, but it is same one from over a year ago and someone just dug it out of the depths.

I did reach the limits of my Weaver yesterday. I've had NO issues with it at all since I got it. Optics have always been good. BUT yesterday late afternoon, the sun was going down, and I was doing some shootin'. At first everything was great, but as the sun dropped below the trees it got harder and harder to see. Still plenty of "daylight," just fading. Had to strain a little. I could still resolve the 1/2" dots on my dot drill target no problem, and I had no problem hitting what I wanted to hit but I can see where a higher end optic could be better.