• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fierce Mountain Reaper - Advice?

ttg7ya

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2022
Manhattan Beach, CA
All,

A few months ago I put a $500 deposit down on a Fierce Mountain Reaper ($3600 total) that is now ready.

At the time, the weapons system offered most of what I am looking for. I want platforms that are very precise from the bench or prone to 1,000 meters plus but that are also light enough for backcountry carry at my age (44). I am not 22 anymore so lugging around a 14 pound precision platform is a no-go.

The platform is relatively new and offers an adjustable cheek piece, short barrel length (20 inches) and is chambered in my desired round (300 PRC). It has an adjustable cheek riser. Does have LOP adjustability (not to the extent of a full chassis) but I generally find with my shorter arms (I am 5'9) that LOP adjustments are not necessary and if they are, minimal. Weight is optimal. I think their Bix n Andy triggers are proprietary, and their actions do not mate with a 700 LA.

Here's the rub. I have read on a few other forums since I ordered the rifle some really dreadful things about Fierce quality control and customer service. They've also posted some YouTube videos in past years that really bug me (taking game animals at 600 meters from the roof of a truck is not my idea of hunting). The latter though is more a snobby approach on my part as opposed to worries about the quality of the product.

Looking to see if anyone has purchased a rifle from Fierce over the last twelve months and can offer some input. I can still walk away and build out a custom with only the loss of my deposit.

Hard pass for me with a limited search....

Yup. Saw that thread. Was my biggest concern.

Alternative is to use an MDT lightweight hunter chassis and build out a proof barrel and custom action. Might end up costing the same.

Reactions: spife7980
Yup. Saw that thread. Was my biggest concern.

Alternative is to use an MDT lightweight hunter chassis and build out a proof barrel and custom action. Might end up costing the same.
might cost the same but you won't question the build every time you shoot and it isn't 1/2 moa or less

Just after the first paragraph about one of the problem guns that’s gonna be a negative, ghost rider. Eat your deposit and build something. If you can wait a bit and search some used items you’ll be able to make up some of that back. If not, you should still be able to build a badass rifle for the cost of the fierce gun even with the deposit hit

Reactions: DIBBS
I'd shoot for a 7# rifle prior to optics, that means you can use a Bartlein 3b'ish contours and make weight and not pay big carbon prices. My lightweight rifles I want to be capable at 1k yards are 9-12#, anything in that 8# range is 600y or less. As you get lighter the discipline and fundamentals need be absolutely dialed to get good consistent bullet placement at distance in field settings. The extra weights is just more forgiveness in the system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Savageman2506