• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Figured Stock Blanks

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    View attachment 7249450
    36DAF9BE-F453-4A1F-9AD4-6DF6865F7133.jpeg
    View attachment 7249450

Tagging in expecting you to post updates as these get cut........:)

The only shame is how much of that wood is going to be made into chips. I almost wish it would be feasible to make a huge buttstock just to show off the nice figuring in that wood.

Where did you get hold of these blanks?

Added: Kinda cool you can see the check dates on the sides of some of the blanks.

I was looking again, and wondered if on the top piece, you could slide that back a bit and put a "stovepipe" pistol grip. You'd get more figure in the butt and also in the grip.

Some of them go on elephant rifles like this .416 Rigby takedown magnum Mauser.
    65C338AD-C9E7-4261-B202-3824C41A8A97.jpeg
    l
    65C338AD-C9E7-4261-B202-3824C41A8A97.jpeg

Last edited:
    some amazing pieces of wood. Would love to hear the species of these various pieces. They don't look like domestic ones...

First and third ones are American walnut.
    Others are European walnut often called Turkish though it comes from many countries in Europe and Asia. Often along the Black Sea.

I get them from various people who keep an eye out for exceptional blanks as the trees are sawed. It’s best to buy years ahead. The best blanks are sold before drying. Normally I weigh and date blanks for 5-20 years prior to using.

First priority is layout. If a blank won’t layout correctly it is worthless. The layout marks on these stocks are often placed prior to my getting them and I seldom use as marked.

Oddly a correctly cut highly figured American Walnut blank is harder to find than a fancy Turkish blank. Does not bring as much though.

Hoping others post up some wood pics.

Last edited:
    Reactions: jbailey
    I love wood stocks! Those are some amazing pieces you have and the finished are beautiful to say the least. Great work!

Reactions: NovaHunter
    Thank you. I just collect the parts, plan the projects. I don’t do the work. Or, very little of it.

A very high quality blank that is nice but not over the top figure wise. The metal work and engraving show up well with the restrained figure.
    A370C286-FDAF-4772-BC1E-5BF42AF7A869.jpeg
    35E3F732-3BAF-4AA2-A17A-C15194A9DDD1.jpeg

Attachments

• DBA1315B-79B2-4427-B88C-15C5D6A03ED2.jpeg
      DBA1315B-79B2-4427-B88C-15C5D6A03ED2.jpeg
      798.9 KB · Views: 19
    Wood upgrades with generic medium to high end production shotguns (Krieghoff/Perazzi) start at 2k and approach 200k with the corresponding engraving.

313EA48B-70A9-4191-BD60-31D7BF33E008.jpeg

This one is an amazingly figured American walnut stock on a high grade Winchester Mod 21 20 gauge. Hope grain shows up.

Reactions: Pre-64
    FF33B97C-56CA-4676-A340-C8A23D097202.jpeg
    A
    Purdey with very dark streaked European walnut but mostly covered by stock pad in this picture.

Very nice!
    Do you have specific plans for them? I notice they are inletted for actions. Thanks for posting.

I took that picture in the form in which I came to own them. They were from a giant lot of half-done projects that ranged from flea market finds to beautifully engraved Paul Jaeger Mausers.

The top one is partially cut for a Mauser action. I'm slowly and carefully teaching myself to complete it with the FN Mauser action I have. Eventually it will have a heavy sporter .243 barrel and an oil finish.

The lower one is just off the duplicator with no inletting. Depending on my success with the first one, I may finish it myself. I want to do the wood justice, though, so I may send it off. I have a Pre-64 Model 70 .375H&H barreled action waiting for it.

Reactions: RTH1800
    This looks like a Todd Ramirez gun.
    It does indeed, but it is not. Steve Nelson out or Oregon built that and Lisa Tomlin engraved it. I would love to own a Ramirez but way out of my budget. Do you do custom stock work for people or just for yourself? You have some legit talent.

It does indeed, but it is not. Steve Nelson out or Oregon built that and Lisa Tomlin engraved it. I would love to own a Ramirez but way out of my budget. Do you do custom stock work for people or just for yourself? You have some legit talent.

I've been tinkering only for myself so far, but to take credit for this work would make me an imposter. They are as I found them.

The rifles on these pages are certainly beautiful, pretty, dainty even....

Sometimes when you go to the Men's Department you can find some nice looking battle wood also.....

P5306348.JPG

P9187074.JPG

RightSide.jpg

Leftside.jpg

Reactions: lash and RTH1800
    Bought this one on impulse off of Ebay.

It was relatively cheap. Im going to have it built into a rifle and Im kind of concerned it may be the weak link in some nice hi end parts and labor I plan on adding to it.

Should look sweet, pretty, dainty, beautiful even with some raw linseed oil on it.....

1582077357155.png