• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Fill in pitted barrel

annamariaslim

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2003
Longboat Key, Fla.
I have an old .22 short single shot rifle that I have had since I was about 10. It was old when I got it about 48 years ago. The barrel has pitted a bit on the outside but the rifling is still good. I'd like to find something to fill the pits and maybe Krylon the barrel after. The only reason I still have it is the sentamental value as my first rifle. What say the experts?

Re: Fill in pitted barrel

What kind of rifle is it? It may be cheaper and a better fix to install another barrel.

You could also have the gun reblued. Mel Doyle (Doyle's Gun Shop) in Idaho does great work and has really fast turn around times. I have never been disappointed with his work or his prices.

For a rifle that's not going to be reblued (as rebluing alone is not going to remove actual pitting) then it's not uncommon to see the pitting filled with one of the bedding epoxies, lightly sanded flush and coated over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: annamariaslim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an old .22 short single shot rifle that I have had since I was about 10. It was old when I got it about 48 years ago. The barrel has pitted a bit on the outside but the rifling is still good. I'd like to find something to fill the pits and maybe Krylon the barrel after. <span style="font-weight: bold">The only reason I still have it is the sentamental value as my first rifle.</span> What say the experts? </div></div>
How deep are the pits?
I filed some pretty deep ones out of a Mauser.
Of course the inside of the barrel was trash, but this was a school project.

If not too deep they can be filed out, the surface prepped, and the barrel re-blued.

If you are retaining if for sentimental value, then perhaps restoring it to the original blued finish might be your first option.

If you cant buff the pits out of the gun id fill it in with devcon,and blend the devcon with the rest of the barrel using sandpaper or a buffer and make it appear as smooth as possible then beadblast the barrel to give it a nice matte finish before painting.

White epoxy or JB Weld. Apply some to the pits then either stirrup polish the barrel or lap it on a lathe. I've had a few pitted old .22 barrels come through here and that's the best fix I've found for them if you'd going to apply a spray finish like Duracoat. Be sure to take a brush and naval jelly to the pits first to get the rust and rot out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kingarmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">White epoxy or JB Weld. Apply some to the pits then either stirrup polish the barrel or lap it on a lathe. I've had a few pitted old .22 barrels come through here and that's the best fix I've found for them if you'd going to apply a spray finish like Duracoat. Be sure to take a brush and naval jelly to the pits first to get the rust and rot out. </div></div>
Straight from the expert. That's the way I would go.

As a sentimental rifle that's not going anywhere and not meant to impress anyone I'd leave the pits right where they are. Clean her up, get a bottle of slow rust blue and restore the traditional finish, slowly, by your own hand and re-connect with all the memories that old steel holds. There are enough pretty, moly-supertactical-teflon wonderguns in the world and in our safes. Pitted blued steel and dented dark walnut holds a piece of our past, and memories that you should never cover in krylon. Just my two cents worth. Good luck in whatever route you choose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a sentimental rifle that's not going anywhere and not meant to impress anyone I'd leave the pits right where they are. Clean her up, get a bottle of slow rust blue and restore the traditional finish, slowly, by your own hand and re-connect with all the memories that old steel holds. There are enough pretty, moly-supertactical-teflon wonderguns in the world and in our safes. Pitted blued steel and dented dark walnut holds a piece of our past, and memories that you should never cover in krylon. Just my two cents worth. Good luck in whatever route you choose. </div></div>

This right here. Dont cover your memories with krylon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a sentimental rifle that's not going anywhere and not meant to impress anyone I'd leave the pits right where they are. Clean her up, get a bottle of slow rust blue and restore the traditional finish, slowly, by your own hand and re-connect with all the memories that old steel holds. There are enough pretty, moly-supertactical-teflon wonderguns in the world and in our safes. Pitted blued steel and dented dark walnut holds a piece of our past, and memories that you should never cover in krylon. Just my two cents worth. Good luck in whatever route you choose. </div></div>

Sounds like a good plan to me, Don't forget to post pictures of whatever you do. Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel.B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a few memories i'd pay to have covered in Krylon </div></div>

Same here, applied several coats of alcohol and it didn't work
grin.gif