• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fill Ratios for PRS Shooting Bags

gonzodoc

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2021
Calgary
For all those who are using hybrid fills in their shooting bags (for example, sand and lightweight polymer beads) , what fill ratios do you use, and the rationale behind them.

I've played with 50/50 sand and GitLite. I liked it, if I knew I needed to cut some weight or shoot a match with a ton of positions I'd probably do that. On most stages at the matches I shoot, I don't find that movement speed is what limits my scores.

I believe I tried adding GitLite a bit at a time, and 50/50 worked well, but it's not hard to separate them and try a different blend. I honestly don't recall, I just know I liked 50/50 enough to use it again in the future. 100% GL would be for backpack hunting or a match where cutting weight was hugely important; it's definitely inferior to sand for stability.

I have a shmedium plus 1 and a standard shmedium done with blends. I didn't go 50/50, the plus one is just under 7lbs down from 11ish and the standard is at 5.5 down from 8.5. It was easy to adjust. I went with weight first and settled on what I wanted and then added GitLite to get the bag to the fullness I wanted.

I tried blends and they never stayed mixed. Ended up going back to just sand.

Reactions: CK1.0
I hated the mixes when I tried it… bag got lighter, but also more unpredictable, and would sometimes settle wonky or shift unexpectedly.

Since then I’ve ended up just carrying/using two totally different bags…

I use a Plus1Plus1 with all the heavy sand it came with for most props and positions (first/only time I’ve got a sand-filled bag where I didn’t empty any sand out, the Plus1 broke in fast because it’s so heavy and loosened up before I needed to take any out), it’s heavy, near 11lbs.

I also carry/use a poly-filled Wiebad Mini Range Cube which is ~5lbs and far more squishy… it’s my prone/modified-prone bag and is a better size/shape for that IMHO. While less rigid/solid than a sand-filled bag I find it a lot faster for me for that stuff.

They’re nothing alike, but either are great at their specific jobs and both bags work together well if I have to stack them for some reason.

Point is: 2 might be better than 1, YMMV, worth a try.

Reactions: b6graham