• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Movings together a rifle with the shooting bag

5Baize

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2021
Fr-29S
Me again 😉.

On video I see a lot of people moving from a position to another holding their shooting bag together with their rifle.

It seems to be quite time effective.

Are people doing this with heavy sand filled bag?

I can't move my heavy sand filled schmedium like that. I'm not strong enough.

Or are people doing that with gitelite filled bags?

Most of them do not know what they are doing , or are using a plate bag because they can't build a position, are too weak, or are new and don't know any better.

Unless its a speed stage where you can rip off less than perfect shots, you should be placing the bag each time to make sure you are building a stable position. You will see people rush in throwing their bags down then fight to try and get stable and spend 3 times as long dicking with it than if they took the 2 seconds up front to place the bag properly.

Placing the bag properly depends on the prop, the target location relative to the prop, any transitions,ect and to be honest, the only way you will get good at it is through experience of shooting a ton of different stuff and seeing what works best.

If you watch videos of the best shooters you will see the vast majority are methodical and take their time getting the bag place properly to maximize stability.

Jake Millard is a great example of how to place bags on props. Here are some of his videos:

Yep, learn to do it like Jake.

The 3rd video is a great example of how fast you can be when you are smooth and efficient in movement and fast to acquire the target... 10 positions, 10 shots, 90 seconds.

Moving and positioning the bag separately is what I'm currently doing.

Thanks for the feedback

Allison is one of the few I've seen that can move the bag and the rifle at the same time consistently from stage to stage. And her bag is attached via a plate when she does it.

The videos above is what you want to strive for. Once you get to the point where something like a timed PRS barricade is the difference between winning/placing high and losing a few places for a slower pace, then you can worry about things like moving the bag and rifle at same time. It takes more practicing/choreographing than it seems.

As a PRS Dabbler I have found that attaching the bag to the rifle makes me smile while it frustrates gravity who wants to make me drop things and try to make my bag fall off the barricade.

-Stan

Reactions: drglock
I move the bag and rifle together without it being attached. Its much more efficient especially on props like cattle gates. There's definitely a technique to make sure it settles perfect but i prefer it that way. Watch how Andy slade moves if you can find a vid.

Reactions: 5Baize
I run mine un attached. Sometimes depending on the barricade/prop , the bag may need to go tits up, tits down , or tits on the side. Attached to a plate it is always tits down and some props the rifle needs to be rolled into position.

There has to be a technique for it if it's something you choose to do. Watching guys like Chad and Francis make it look effortless while using the 1+1 Schmedium, indicates there is a way.

Edit: Just because someone is using that technique and is extremely successful using it, doesn't mean it will work for you.

Last edited:
just takes getting enough rounds down range doing whichever method you prefer

Reactions: lash
I don’t need to hit the gym as long as I can bicep curl my 25lbs 22 cal rifle with a 4 port brake

• Haha
Reactions: 5Baize and lash
There is a technique to moving the bag and rifle as one. I had a conversation with Francis about it and he enlightened me to what works for him. It does take some practice to figure out how to set the bag the way you want it when transitioning. I've been working on it and utilizing it for about 6 months, it definitely helped me with gaining time on stages, so I can slow down my trigger press. I use a Pint Sized GC with regular fill. I've done it with my sand filled Pint Sized before it developed a hole, and it was still fine. The sand filled Schmedium is a bit heavy, but it can be done.

Reactions: 5Baize
There is a technique to moving the bag and rifle as one. I had a conversation with Francis about it and he enlightened me to what works for him. It does take some practice to figure out how to set the bag the way you want it when transitioning. I've been working on it and utilizing it for about 6 months, it definitely helped me with gaining time on stages, so I can slow down my trigger press. I use a Pint Sized GC with regular fill. I've done it with my sand filled Pint Sized before it developed a hole, and it was still fine. The sand filled Schmedium is a bit heavy, but it can be done.

Would you mind sharing the tips he gave you?

I spoke with him on the phone this afternoon about it. To attempt an explanation on here would result in an extremely long wall of text. There's a video coming about the PRS barricade in which you'll see the technique.
@Tx_Aggie

This is the video I saw where it caught my attention before I reached out. There’s a lot of details to unpack as @Mormegil87 said, but this can at least get you started with a visual understanding.

Reactions: giumau1
Could always use different fills. Or, if you're attaching it to a plate pad then there's the smaller, flatter options. Might help with the weight side of things.