• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Final testing question...

nikonNUT

The harbinger of... making things not work anymore
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 6, 2019
    Gunlandia
    Evening all! So I have my velocity node found, my bullet jump nailed down - ish, and now it is time to revisit the velocity node for tweaking. My question is this... Assuming my node is about 1 gr wide how many round do ya'll suggest for locking down the charge if I go in .1gr increments. 5 shots per to get an "acceptable" representation of ES per charge weight? 3 shots just to find the charge to get back in the sweet spot which appears to be at 2805FPS? My initial test was at .010" jammed but found out that my rifle likes .115" of jump so I'm kinda lost. Thanks for the help!

-Chris

I your reloading program is decent I’ve find just 1-2 of each charge increment tells me what I need to know.
    If you already know the know the node then just load 10-20 in the middle of it and test them for vertical.

@Steel head Thank you, sir! I know the node but with a .125" change in seating depth I'm just trying to reestablish my MV as I "assume" the same charge weight with a smaller case volume will cause the MV to go up, correct? Or is that one of the maybe but not necessarily things? :)

Last edited:
    @Steel head Thank you, sir! I know the node but with a .125" change in seating depth I'm just trying to reestablish my MV as I "assume" the same charge weight with a smaller case volume will cause the MV to go up, correct? Or is that one of the maybe but not necessarily things? :)
    You really shouldn’t need to make an eighth of an inch change in seating depth in the first place.

You may want to investigate the gold nuggets in this video.

You really shouldn’t need to make an eighth of an inch change in seating depth in the first place.

You may want to investigate the gold nuggets in this video.

Cool, man! Thanks! I'll check it out tonight!

Only thing that matters is the target, shoot 3-5 shot groups at the longest distance you can and let the target results tell you which charge to go with, probably .3 gr spread is good

Only thing that matters is the target, shoot 3-5 shot groups at the longest distance you can and let the target results tell you which charge to go with, probably .3 gr spread is good

This is not always the case. Powder charge is rarely the reason groups fall apart at distance.

If the sd/es is acceptable.......the powder charge is fine. The only reasons groups can fall apart at this point is shooter error, or inconsistent BC from bullet to bullet.

Most of the time when someone has good numbers and groups at 100, then take it to distance, find the groups don’t hold up.....change powder charge and the groups hold up, are actually see the results of the 5 (or whatever size they shoot) having a consistent BC. Basically they either got lucky with the replaced powder charge bullets, or unlucky with the first powder charge bullets.

Basically, if your groups are falling apart at distance and it’s not the shooter, you should be looking at the actual bullets and not the powder charge.

And if your chrono numbers aren’t consistent, you shouldn’t even be shooting at distance until you get that cleaned up.