• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally after 10 years - building my custom rifle and need help, please

amedeo1227

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2012
Thibodaux, LA
So I have been reading, studying, and stalking the hide for about 10 years. Between other builds, financial setbacks (in the form of hurricanes, wedding, and children), I am finally getting my first custom rifle build put together.

So if I could get some help from all the seasoned shooters I would be most appreciative.

Dropping the deposit Monday. Here is the current build list:

Have:
Magpul Hunter 700 stock w/DBM (about to buy a Manner Compact Gen1)
Timney Calvin Elite 2 stage
Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 3-18
Larue mount
Harvester 30 with Area 419 adapter

Buying Monday:
TL3 action and 6CM proof 16.5" barrel with Area 419 brake
2 additional bolt heads (223 and Magnum for future barrels)
Bighorn action wrench
Couple of magazines (ARC, Accurate, or AICS)

So I have a couple of questions, if some of you could point me in the right direction.

1. Proof Carbon barrel contour - will a Sendero contour fit in a Mapgul Hunter stock?

2. What mags do y'all use? Really thinking of an ARC 10rd with an improved follower like MK machining or LRI.

3. I already have a 6.5CM hunting rifle, and this will mostly be used for hunting, should I stick with a 6.5CM? I was hoping I could use this with my daughters for hunting. The farthest shots I can make where I hunt is 300yds tops, most within 200yds. I was thinking 6mm might have less recoil.

4. Does the TL3 fit in the Magpul Hunter good, without modification to where the bolt handle rests in the stock?

Is there anything I am missing?

Does the larue mount have vertical rings? If so, i would consider another mount all together.

Reactions: Primus
No, I forget what model it is exactly, but it's horizontal. I want to eventually buy a few barrels and try to have a switch barrel set up, so the QD rings is what I "needed", although I think it is just more of a want.

I will look up exactly which model I bought and I will report back.

ETA- Its a LaRue LT120

Last edited:
Does the larue mount have vertical rings? If so, i would consider another mount all together.
i would even if it didn't. larue mounts are EH at best. QD not necessary just to have different barrels. just know the zero offset for the ballistic calc when you switch not a big deal

MPA, SPUHR, ARC rings will be a much better performer

mags: AW AW mags....its a TL3. or AI, Accurate, MDT. all good. ARC eh maybe maybe not. why spend extra on a follower to get mags that might work.

6mm will have less recoil and it'll take an elk no problem. no reason not to

probably wont get a whle lot of experiecne with the magpul hunter on here. its pretty bland especially when we have the KRG Bravo now

No, I forget what model it is exactly, but it's horizontal. I want to eventually buy a few barrels and try to have a switch barrel set up, so the QD rings is what I "needed", although I think it is just more of a want.

I will look up exactly which model I bought and I will report back.

ETA- Its a LaRue LT120

SO you dont need QD at all just get them tall enough to clear the shank of the barrel. But for the price of the LaRue, please look into the spuhr hunting line. its a much better mount and quality. Or if you want to get the QD cantilever spuhr mounts, frank mentioned switching to it due to the scope rail being short on the TL3. This will help with eye relief on your scope. Seem like you have solid components why go with LaRue mount when they are OK at best.

But buy once and cry once. You waited this long, treat yo self!

Congrats OP!
I’m about to build my first nice rifle(degenerate savage slut in the past) next week and am super excited myself!
Ditch the Larue and run rings or a proper mount like the above mentioned Spuhr hunter.
ARC or Seekins rings are nice and reliable for the $$$.
I like ARC mags as I run a 260 loaded long but some do have issues.
AI mags(always good to me) and even the magpul version work quite well if normal mag length is ok.

Last edited:
SO you dont need QD at all just get them tall enough to clear the shank of the barrel. But for the price of the LaRue, please look into the spuhr hunting line. its a much better mount and quality. Or if you want to get the QD cantilever spuhr mounts, frank mentioned switching to it due to the scope rail being short on the TL3. This will help with eye relief on your scope. Seem like you have solid components why go with LaRue mount when they are OK at best.

But buy once and cry once. You waited this long, treat yo self!

I already have the Larue mount, from a previous 308AR build. I know they aren't considered as nice as the spuhr, but I already have them. I know I'm going to switch them out later, but a manners stock is higher on my list.

However, noted that the Larue needs to go after the stock is upgraded.

Ha ha! This is funny. Everyone is poo-poo'ing the Larue mount when the OP is putting a TL-3 and $900 barrel in a Magpul stock! LOL!

Well I have to work with what I got for now. Story is - the wife bought it for me as a surprise when she knew I wanted a bolt gun, she doesn't make much money, but it was the best she could afford. Even thought I plan on getting a manners, the Magpul won't be going anywhere. This is the same wife that when I told her I wanted a $4k rifle, she told me "you should get it, you deserve it"

So while my bolt gun won't be the best pieces out there, I plan to work with what I got for now.

Nothing wrong with the 6 Creedmoor, but might be worth considering the .243 as your daughter 's hunting rifle. Ballistically a near twin, and a plethora of factory ammo available everywhere.

Nothing wrong with the 6 Creedmoor, but might be worth considering the .243 as your daughter 's hunting rifle. Ballistically a near twin, and a plethora of factory ammo available everywhere.

Not too worried about ammo, because I do reload, but I do live close to a bunch of stores that carry 6CM. I have shot a few whitetail with the 65CM in 143's, so I imagine the 6CM will knock-em down too. Just not sure if the difference in recoil is worth sacrificing the benefit of having 2 rifles chambered in the same caliber. I try to keep my numbers down, but its not like I'm stockpiling 6.5CM hunting ammo (only 100-200rds) compared to 5.56 ammo (2000-3000rds).

I appreciate the suggestion though. I have a friend that lives by the motto - "I wont buy a gun what I cant get the bullets from wal-mart"

i would even if it didn't. larue mounts are EH at best. QD not necessary just to have different barrels. just know the zero offset for the ballistic calc when you switch not a big deal

MPA, SPUHR, ARC rings will be a much better performer

mags: AW AW mags....its a TL3. or AI, Accurate, MDT. all good. ARC eh maybe maybe not. why spend extra on a follower to get mags that might work.

6mm will have less recoil and it'll take an elk no problem. no reason not to

probably wont get a whle lot of experiecne with the magpul hunter on here. its pretty bland especially when we have the KRG Bravo now

AW mags wont fit in the Magpul stock, right? Also, when I order the manners, I will have to get the bottom metal in AW, right? I dont want to limit myself to just AI brand mags, I figure if I want a double stack, ARC is an option if I go with AICS pattern. Unless I am looking at this wrong.

An AW mag will fit in a regular DBM Bottom Metal like the M5 or whatever manners puts in their mini chassis stocks?

You’ve waited this long man, do your the rest of your build a favor and swap that Magpul out for a Gunwerks Clymer, Magnus Or Manners Composite. The wait time on the Gunwerks stocks is about 60 days right now.

It’s my understanding that the Proof Sendero Contour is more along the lines of an M24 contour. For a hunting rifle I would look at the Sendero Light. This is comparable to a Factory Remington Sendero Contour.

Reactions: Railguner
AW mags wont fit in the Magpul stock, right? Also, when I order the manners, I will have to get the bottom metal in AW, right? I dont want to limit myself to just AI brand mags, I figure if I want a double stack, ARC is an option if I go with AICS pattern. Unless I am looking at this wrong.

An AW mag will fit in a regular DBM Bottom Metal like the M5 or whatever manners puts in their mini chassis stocks?
AW will work anywhere an aics works.

So now there is a bit of an issue.

After talking with the shop I planned to use, they are thinking of pushing me in a different direction than I originally thought of.

Part of me thinks - this is my gun, I decide what I want

The other part - these are the pro's, listen to them

I am thinking of either a TL3 or a Neucleus, and honestly, my only experience is with over the counter bolt guns. I couldn't tell you that my favorite is the Impact, Bat, Stiller, Defiance, etc...... however, what I do know is that I want an action I can change bolt heads on. I will be swapping barrels in my garage. That's why I'm doing the build.

So if anyone can chime in on a TL3 or a Neucleus, and why, I would appreciate it. I think I'm just getting afraid to jump, I'm on the ledge, and I only want to do this once.

I'm leaning TL3

After talking with the shop I planned to use, they are thinking of pushing me in a different direction than I originally thought of.

I am thinking of either a TL3 or a Neucleus, and honestly, my only experience is with over the counter bolt guns. I couldn't tell you that my favorite is the Impact, Bat, Stiller, Defiance, etc...... however, what I do know is that I want an action I can change bolt heads on. I will be swapping barrels in my garage. That's why I'm doing the build.

So if anyone can chime in on a TL3 or a Neucleus, and why, I would appreciate it. I think I'm just getting afraid to jump, I'm on the ledge, and I only want to do this once.

I'm leaning TL3

I have no experience with the Nucleus, but I’d be in for the TL3. Getting ready to build my daughter one. Reason being, pre-fit barrels and easy bolt head swap. Can train for cheap on 223, swap the barrel out to 6mm for hunting/comps etc, and go short Mag later down the road if needed. 1 Gun that can do it all. Just my .02.

I have no experience with the Nucleus, but I’d be in for the TL3. Getting ready to build my daughter one. Reason being, pre-fit barrels and easy bolt head swap. Can train for cheap on 223, swap the barrel out to 6mm for hunting/comps etc, and go short Mag later down the road if needed. 1 Gun that can do it all. Just my .02.
You can actually do all that (prefits, bolt head swap) with a Nucleus as well. Can get a barrel spun up for either by LRI in pretty short time too. That said, the TL3 is in a different class than the Nucleus. To compare same to same, you'd be looking at an Origin action instead of the TL3.

Reactions: HogsLife
You can actually do all that (prefits, bolt head swap) with a Nucleus as well. Can get a barrel spun up for either by LRI in pretty short time too. That said, the TL3 is in a different class than the Nucleus. To compare same to same, you'd be looking at an Origin action instead of the TL3.
Also. TL3 goes bang every time.

Mausingfield awesome.
Deadline awesome.

I'm leaning TL3
What sort of shop are you planning to use and for what? And what are they pushing you towards?

If you are wanting to get a tl3 then you can just order a barrel up from anywhere and spin it on yourself. You said youre already planning to get the action wrench to do so in the future so no issue there. Get the tl3 over the nucleus, especially since youve already got a timney, the nucleus needs to sort out some trigger issues/firing pin issues before I would explore that route.

^x2. What do you need a shop for? You've made a solid choice on the TL3 so you can use prefit barrels. Buy what you want.

Sounds like money is tight on this project, an understandable place to be. So why not hold off on the extra bolt heads and put that towards your stock purchase? Same thing with the carbon barrel. A lot of your build cost is going into that. Sure they are awesome, but will it really make you happy in the end. You could go stainless prefit from NSS or the like and carbon later, or explore some lesser cost carbon barrels like carbon six.

Reactions: Steel head
^x2. What do you need a shop for? You've made a solid choice on the TL3 so you can use prefit barrels. Buy what you want.

Sounds like money is tight on this project, an understandable place to be. So why not hold off on the extra bolt heads and put that towards your stock purchase? Same thing with the carbon barrel. A lot of your build cost is going into that. Sure they are awesome, but will it really make you happy in the end. You could go stainless prefit from NSS or the like and carbon later, or explore some lesser cost carbon barrels like carbon six.
That’s what I’d do.
Unless it’s for an ultralight hunting rifle I have absolutely no desire for a carbon barrel.

Prefits shoot and not dealing with a smith will save money, that’s a few hunskies you can throw at a stock.