• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Finally Did It

CharlieNC

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
At nearly 65 yrs old I finally shot my first match ever! Started playing with rifles about 3 years ago and became interested in F-class since it relates more to my hunting interests, and prone is just more fun than bench to me. Yesterday shot my 223 in F/TR at Catawba 300 yd match. Shot 194/6X + 195/4X + 192/4X to finish in the middle of the pack. The area most needing help now is a scope with > 20X since I could barely resolve the X-ring. Only disappointment was staying so busy the entire match did not allow me to watch and study some of the world-class shooters who participated; I had no idea there was no play time allocated! But I did have a chance to meet a number of good guys with similar interests and look forward to doing it again.

Congrats on your first match and shooting a Master classification score. The first one is always a little hectic until you get into a routine. Catawba is a good range to get started in F class because it is 300 yds and has light winds usually.

The one downside to F class is you stay busy the whole time with shooting, scoring, and pit service. Some places you can hire target pullers like Butner and Coastal Carolina Rifle Club (Stone Bay) which give you more downtime. I try to show up a little early and stay a little after the match to talk to the other shooters and glean information. Catawba has a good group of guys that are happy to help.

I started at Catawba last year with a .223 AR and got my feet wet. I learned alot and had a .308 built over last winter. I shot the match yesterday as well and had the best match I've ever had. Shot my first "clean", a 200-9x on the first string, and 595-21x overall to finish 2nd in F-TR behind Nik. There are several members here that shoot at Catawba, so feel free to ask questions.

BC

Good on you for getting out there and doing it! Those are pretty respectable scores, as well. You should feel good, my man!

BC 6.8, you had a hell of a match! I got a kick out of that clean! I knew about 15 shots in you were gonna clean it! I also knew I wasn't gonna be able to beat you after the way I botched the 1st match.:( Good show, buddy!

Good on you for getting out there and doing it! Those are pretty respectable scores, as well. You should feel good, my man!

BC 6.8, you had a hell of a match! I got a kick out of that clean! I knew about 15 shots in you were gonna clean it! I also knew I wasn't gonna be able to beat you after the way I botched the 1st match.:( Good show, buddy!

Thanks buddy. Just goes to show you, "every dog has its day".

You're selling yourself short. That was some fine shooting! I keep looking at the targets for matches 1 & 2, and it looks like the 9 on each of them is flipping me the bird! so close! You pulled off the hat trick!

I see how this can become addictive. Besides getting a better scope I need to step up my physical conditioning because I was whipped when I got home! I started to pick up the pace a couple of weeks ago, getting ready for hunting out West late October. I'm semi-retired and shoot during the week at Charlotte Rifle-Pistol club so if any of you guys want to practice there let me know and I can take you as a guest.

We were in the pits while you guys were shooting. I'm glad you came out and had a good time! We want more people to participate, so if you have any buddies you can talk in to coming that'd be great. What's the set up a Charlotte like? I hear it's a nice club.

CRPC 300 yd range with approx 30 covered benches and spots for 4 prone at the end. The member must keep watch over the guest and cannot shoot at the same time. Check out the web site: Plinking, sight-in, tactical, pistol, and very nice shotgun range too.

We were on target 5 relay one and two. I just bought six pounds of powder and 500 bergers today so I plan on being back. Thanks for the*welcome. That was some good shooting on target 5 when I was in pits. I am jealous

Chefcam and I were shooting on target 5 relay 3 and 4. His x count was very impressive. I think he had two matches that were 199 - 15x. I was shooting a bit more conservatively because it was my first match with the new rifle. I didn't want to loose any points out because of vertical or wind.

I also had a good time this was the first time I was at this range as I usually shoot at Charlotte Rifle & Pistol and Camp Butner. I definitely plan on going to the next match up there.