• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Finally got my Savage 10 PC set up

txgolfer45

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
Texas, USA
Savage10PC.jpg

EGW 20MOA mount
Burris XTR rings (lapped)
Nightforce 3.5-15x50 scope with ZS
Harris Bipod

Off to the range tomorrow to sight it in and break it in.

Re: Finally got my Savage 10 PC set up

What caliber did you go with? I was looking at a new Savage in 260 but decided to build one in the same instead.
Gotta love them Savages!

Nice set up Scott!

Sanity check please as I'm looking at replacing my ancient mount/rings on my 10FP with an EGW 2MOA + Burris XTR rings. My scope also is a 50mm. Did you use low XTRs?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bald1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice set up Scott!

Sanity check please as I'm looking at replacing my ancient mount/rings on my 10FP with an EGW 2MOA + Burris XTR rings. My scope also is a 50mm. Did you use low XTRs? </div></div>

Yes, I used the low XTR's. Will be sighting it in tomorrow.

THX! Appreciate the sanity check! Going to order the EGW/XTR combo. Enjoy your rifle
smile.gif

My 1998 10FP
--Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x50 Mil-Dot LR Tactical SA scope
--<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Leupold STD base and rings w/15 MOA shim</span>
--SSS competition trigger
--SSS kelvar-fiberglass thumbhole wide beavertail forend stock
--SSS tactical bolt handle
--Gibbs M8500 bipod

Addendum: pix now reflect Warne 20MOA base and TPS TSR 30mm rings
FP10_M8500a.jpg

FP10_kit.jpg

Scott,

It's a basic wide Boone Packer I acquired, like everything else for this rifle, when I bought it in 1998. I think their current model designation for it is "2+2" which includes the QD swivels.

Yeah I like it a lot as it distributes the weight well, works great as a hasty sling, is strong, reliable, and inexpensive.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Q. </span>My son is all over me about replacing the base and rings. His position is that they've worked well for over a decade, so why dump 'em. Just to be tacti-kool? He may have a point..... <span style="font-weight: bold">your thoughts? </span> BTW mine's a 308 too
smile.gif

If they are holding zero and the correct height for you, not sure there is a good reason to change rings. But, if you are limited in range and want the 20MOA, then make the change.

Thanks.

With the 15 MOA shim in place along with the 100 MOA scope adjustment, range has never been an issue. And yes they've held zero perfectly. I also used Sinclair's LAP-3 to prep/lap the 30mm rings back then. Height is perfect too for the Leupy tube. In 1998 canted bases weren't readily available which is why we went with this set up. The old school approach has proved reliable and durable. Guess my son's "put" is spot on..... don't fix what ain't broke.

hey Scott- that rifle is really good looking. Happy shooting!

I've got that exact same rifle, so far I've been very pleased with it. Let me know how it shoots.

I got it sighted in this afternoon. Need more trigger time with the Savage Accutrigger. It's a little different than my other rifles. Also zero'ed the scope and set the zero stop too. It helped having a buddy at the range who also owns a Nightforce. Pleasant surprise.

I really like the accutrigger, it breaks very crisp. I adjusted mine all the way down and it helped shrink groups.

Scott,

Glad you got out to sight her in. These rifles are great aren't they?

I wanted to do some shooting too but a bit of snow coupled with wind to whip things up killed that idea. Officially Rapid City got 9.3 inches so far today. But I'm up in the hills southwest of town and got even more. Ah well........

Love my Savage 10 PC in .308. Shoots great for a factory rifle. Just took mine out to the range today, all of my 5 shot groups were under 1 MOA at 100 yards with a few were under 1/2 MOA.

I am curious how short your chamber is, mine is really short. With both 168gr & 175gr SMKs I am into the lands with a 2.800 COAL.

If you are handloading here is what I am using. Obviously you work your loads up to see what your rifle likes.

175gr SMK
44.5gr Varget (this is max load without ejector marks)
CCI BR2 Primer
Lapua Brass
2.770 COAL (10 thou off the lands)

2610 FPS avg from my chrony

168gr SMK
42gr Varget (real easy on brass, on my 13th firing on brass)
CCI BR2 Primer
Hornady Brass
2.805 COAL (13 thou into the rifling)

2450 FPS avg from my chrony

Here is my setup -

2010-09-18_15-43-16_16.jpg

My Savage PC throat is short also, be careful with bullets like barnes 180ttsx they get into the lands quick(these bullets show high pressure signs very fast in my rifle). Here are my two go to loads.

for steel out to 800yds never shot farther(5 shot groups average .5 moa or so at 100yds)

175gr SMK
46.1 gr Varget(this load is hot but no ejector marks, and have over 500rds of this down range)
Winchester Brass
cci 200 primer
2.790 COAL
2600fps avg. out of my chrony

Hunting load(shoot just over .5 moa at 100yds very accurate for a hunting load.)
130gr Barnes ttsx
51gr Varget
Winchester Brass
cci 200 primer
2.800 COAL
3000fps avg out of my chrony
here is my kids rifle
short308001.jpg

People just don't realize how awesome these little carbines really are. I absolutely love mine so far!!

DK

It looks like an eagle stock pack. Got mine from triad and it is most definately worth the 35 bucks. I would highly recommend picking one up. The multicam looks good on my pc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of cheek pad do you have there? </div></div>

Bingo, its an Eagle stock pack ordered from Triad. Totally worth the money for comfort and I keep tools in the pouch in case any of my mounts ever come loose in the field.

Mine is an Eagle from Triad as well. Good stuff from good people.

DK

Romme1500
Nice set up. I recently bought a Savage 10FCP-K that like pappy83 said (has a short throat), but I went out this weekend with some 185 grain berger VLD's and they performed awesomely. Best group was just under .4. Not to bad for a beginner. Don't be afraid to try the bigger or heavier bullets, you may miss out on something even better. RESPECT

Scott,

Now I know why my youngest son was so adamant that I leave well enough alone. He let it slip over the weekend that a Warne 20 MOA Picatinny rail and a set of TPS TSR low 30mm rings were en route as presentos.
smile.gif

I did some quick sanity checking and it looks like this set up will be just fine with my 50mm Leupy tube. Super low rings would work with 40mm tube but not 50mm if the height of the rail I factored is right. I really wish manufacturers would provide specs on the heights of their rail mounts though. I had to search for owners who had posted measurements.

Did you make a choice for a sling yet?