• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally got the 375 Cheytac project done....almost

I Am Hero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
About 1 month ago I got myself a .375 Cheytac by Lawton in a Mcree aluminum folding stock. It came without a magazine, ammo, or a scope. I hopefully will have the mag on its way soon but I was going to put my Leupold VX-iii 6.5-20x50mm scope on the gun and just single shot it until then.

I set up at 300 yards before to get my 375 CT sighted in and then shot 800 and 1000. I know some people aren't fond of Lawton but when they promised me 3/4-1 MOA out to 1500 yards (could be different on different barrels and receivers), they weren't lying. Got a 6.93" 4 shot at 800 with my first Lawton. Some people have criticized Lawton's work and I understand it wasn't the same quality in the recent years but it seems that was mostly due to them not being able to meet quota or expected delivery dates.

This past spring I shot 1000 with my .300 win mag. It was way different using the 375 cheytac with the 350 gr 375 cheytac with a .943 BC over my .300 with 180 gr with a .453 (Barnes TSX BT). The wind had started to pick up on my way back from the 800 yard target. It was buffeting both my flight path and me as the shooter while shooting 1000 yards so I shot about a <13" 3-shot at 1000. It was still a drastic improvement from my previous 300 win mag. Those 180 gr bullets are a lot more affected by wind, obviously.

I can't wait to get a magazine to finally finish this up so that I can get out and shoot this (although I am currently selling it instead).

I will see if I can upload photos from that day later (of the gun and the groupings). TO clear up some confusion that people are having with my thread in the for sale section, that gun is unfired. The one that I am talking about in this post was my previous 375 CT by Lawton before I went with the 300 win mag route.

Re: Finally got the 375 Cheytac project done....almost

Sounds like your hooked now
smile.gif

Some photos of your days shooting would be interesting to see your set up.

Just ordered a similar rifle. Don't have it yet but, I should next week.

Do you have any loads worked up? ( I assume you're going to hand load for it )

I'm really looking forward to shooting the beast. Think I'll move my NSX over to it and put the Vortex on the 300wm.

1212111136b1.jpg

1212111136.jpg

Now hopefully someone can tell me about the scope height. These are sort of bad angels and just quick pictures I had. I bought a new set of rings for this gun (if I were going to use this scope) but I am just wondering if the bottom of my scope bell ought to be closer to the barrel. Right now it is just over 3/4" about the barrel and that just seems high for a 56mm scope. My other rings would put it about 1/8" above the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, needs lower rings.

What scope is that? </div></div>

I am in the process of selling a gun to buy myself a Nightforce for it but right now I have a Millett LRS-1 on there.

Thank you. I hope it does alright. I know people have mixed reviews on this scope but I had it on my 300 win mag for over 200 rounds without any faults so hopefully it withstands the .375 CT as well. I sold the Leupold and hopefully I'll hit 100 posts soon to be able to sell another gun to fund that Nightforce. Then the Millett is going back to the 22-250.

Hero: Are you shooting factory loads or are you reloading?

(Edit) Oops! If you're shooting a bullet with a BC of 0.994 then you're reloading. What powder and charge weight are you using? Who has a 350 gr. bullet with a 0.994 G1 BC?

I may have stated that wrong or perhaps a little confusing. The 419 gr bullet is .994 and the 350 gr is .943 if I am not mistaken on my numbers. Those are according to Cheytac and the info they gave me with their loads.

Holy cow that will be a monster!!!

Where are you buying the 375-350grn bullets and what are you paying for them? What is your seating depth off the ogive? Or are you buying new loaded ammo?Also the 419 grn bullet is for the 408.

Bought it directly new from Cheytac. They were getting them from Sierra who said that Sierra only sold them directly to Cheytac. I imagine eventually Sierra will make them commercial available or so I hope.

And as far as the 419 gr bullet goes that is what I was thinking as well, but perhaps the guy from Chetyac misspoke when he said I would be able to get 419 gr. He said 350 SMK or 419 Solid. Not sure.

Got my rifle in and now the LONG wait on getting the rest of the reloading stuff in.... It's sitting here scopeless because I'm not moving my NSX over to it until my Vortex comes in so I can use the Vortex on my 300wm ( where the NSX is sitting now ).

I've found brass but, only in 408 so, I'll have to neck it down to 375... Suppose I'll shoot the 350smk to break in the barrel then solids only for this beast.

Had to buy a new case trimmer to accomodate the large brass.... Had to buy a new cleaning rod, chamber gauge for trim length, new bullet puller and, new neck turner also.... Jeeze! Not to mention the custom die set!!!!

Guess I'd better get used to spending big dollars on this thing... I guess that's the price you pay to be the only kid on the block with one of these monsters!

At least I can use Retumbo on both the 375CT and the 300WM.

Now you face the really BIG problem. A place to shoot! The 375 ct comes into its own between a mile and two miles. There are not many places nearby where you can shoot that far safely. It's a pain!

I'm curious what the brass choices will be for the .375 now that Jamison Int'l is out of business?

Has anyone heard of anyone picking up the Jamison product line going forward? I know it's only been about 45 days so far.

Thank you. Yea luckily I am in the middle of farm country here in MI so I only get the chance to shoot over 800 in the late fall-early spring. I am not sure what I am going to do without Jamison but I imagine someone will pick up their business soon enough. Until then, factory Cheytac ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrjimsfc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now you face the really BIG problem. A place to shoot! The 375 ct comes into its own between a mile and two miles. There are not many places nearby where you can shoot that far safely. It's a pain! </div></div>

There are a few places I have access to around here.... One of my buds has a great deer lease with a cliff overlooking some flat land where I could probably get a mile and a half shot out of there. There's a new range going in right now with a 1500yd shot... don't know if it will be possible to go further there or not yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious what the brass choices will be for the .375 now that Jamison Int'l is out of business?

Has anyone heard of anyone picking up the Jamison product line going forward? I know it's only been about 45 days so far. </div></div>

Don't know if anyone is picking up Jamison but, I was able to locate Bertram brass in 408 so, I'll have to neck it down myself.