• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Finally hit the mile mark!

aussiegolf89

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
Abiline, TX
Shooting the Savage 110BA .338 lapua, leupold mk4 8.5-25x50,egw 30 moa base, and 225gr hornady sst. This is a man sized (torso) target.

6209667278_792498d838_z.jpg

Re: Finally hit the mile mark!

Great shooting. Why are you using such a light bullet? Try you some 300gr. Bergers. They will buck the wind so much better.

They were the only thing i could get at the time. I have some 250 Scenars coming as well as 300 berger hybrids. Have you got a good load for either round? Thanks for the advice.

I'm loading the Berger 300 grain, with CCI 250 primer, 92.5 grains of H1000, 3.68 coal, and shooting 1/2 MOA... Not a bad load and it bucks the wind very, very good! MV is running 2825-2840 fps.

**Update**

Just went out again today 10/8/11. Reloaded the same Lapua brass w/ 92.5g of H1000. It is a little hot, faint ejector mark, bolt slightly sticky. I reduced the load to 91.5g H1000 getting right at 2810. No pressure signs. This is now my new load. It shoots clover leafs at 100 yards.

I have to agree the 300gr berger probably would be a beter choice at a mile.

On your first shot of the day? Or just in general had a hit. How many did it take to get the hit?

It took 10 rounds. The longest shot before that was 1000yds. First shot was about 20ft left and every one but the last(the hit) was left anywhere from a foot or so to 10 foot.

you can pretty much return the 250 Scenars... wind will mess those up too. 300 gr Scenars are the ticket. Check your ballistics sw for performance of 300 vs 250 Scenar, esp at 1700 yards.

you can pretty much return the 250 Scenars... wind will mess those up too. 300 gr Scenars are the ticket. Check your ballistics sw for performance of 300 vs 250 Scenar, esp at 1700 yards. With accurate BCs input to the sw, you'll see the big advantage to the heavier projectile.

Isn't it funny how 1000 yards seemed so far, now shooting to a mile is pretty common.

Any think from 250 gr and up is really what it takes to make this shot with any kind of consistency.

Congratulations! What is your goal now? 2000 then 2640 then 3000 etc...

I'm shooting a Remington Custom Shop XS 40, 26" barrel, .338LM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aussiegolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting the Savage 110BA .338 lapua, leupold mk4 8.5-25x50,egw 30 moa base, and 225gr hornady sst. This is a man sized (torso) target.

6209667278_792498d838_z.jpg
</div></div>

When you say man sized torso, this is not the overweight man torso we're talking about here right? LoL I'm kidding!!! That's some good shooting right there bro! Like the others mentioned and frOm what I've seen, 300grainers will get that steel ringing constantly at 1 mile... Hang time on this is like what? 5 seconds? nice!!!

UPDATE:
I just officially joined the 1 mile shot club just this afternoon. Man, it's fun when all things fall in to place...

What range finder are you using to 1 mile? Did you have to range twice? Mine, Leica (bino/rangfinder combo) only go to 1300 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigdog2084</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am using 300 grain lapua scenar with 93 grains of h1000. great at a mile.</div></div>

Congratulations. Hoping to get there soon myself, not sure which scope to use (thinking about buying a USO). How many MOA are you dialing in with this rig?

What velocity are you getting with this load? At 92 grains I'm only getting around 2650 fps without any pressure signs.

With 94 grains of Retumbo I'm at 2750, thinking I can easily push this over 2800.

mike

used a leupold rangefinder at the 1/2 way mark. i know my land is just a little over a mile with a center pivot watering system in the middle that is 1/2 mile long. then i used google earth to check if we were close. na i weigh around 160 so we took my mesurments and added 4 inches to it! lol shooting 300gr berger hybrid tatical now. we will see how they shoot tomorrow. gonna re-zero at 500yds

Congrats on the huge achievement. I feels great when things come together. This summer I shot with the guys from XLR in Colorado and shot 1 Mile then 2450. I hit 4 in a row in 15 inches at 2450 on a 2 foot square target. I also shoot a 338 custom built. Enjoy and keep up the shooting.

Sweet, the Berger is the best bullet I have shot, hands down! Also, the BC seems accurate to 1250 yards..... I will try further, just have to finds an area to range 2x
smile.gif

I shoot 300 scenars and 285 hornadys. At both the mile and 2450 was with the 285s. I prefer the 285s because I can get an extra 150 ft/sec out of them which makes then a touch better at the longer range. Both shoot equally as well.

Congrats, and green with envy here in west Texas since I can't seem to find a. Place to shoot past 600 meters. Anyone know of such a place around Midland Texas?

Awesome! I've launched 15-20 175smks from my 308 at a mile and was all over the place. I HOPE it was the transonic/subsonic issues that were throwing them around 50ft this way and that!

Also tried 10 or 15 with my TRG42 with 250 scenars at 2800fps and was all around that stupod 12"x12" taget, but just couldn't get a hold of it!

I-20? I remember the Midland Shooters Ass. Range (name?) got out to 500 yds, but don't know of any other place. I bet you could talk a farmer into letting you on if your targets aren't permanant and you stay off the cotton. Try an add in the Thrifty Nickel.

225's? Damn, thats impressive at a mile. I'm workin with the 250 Scenars now, w/ 85 gr N165. They work great out to 1200 or so, with minimal wind. Gonna try the 300 bergers, SMK's, and Scenars when I finally get to the mile mark. Good shootin!

it's interesting that many of us in spacious states like Texas and AZ are having difficulties in finding long distance shooting space, while here in northern California we have BLM and NF land within 2-3 hours drive. ALthough here it's easy to find a 1000 yard, and 1750 yards is also doable but more difficult and work to set up. Typically for us 1000 yards is an easy drive along some flat or rolling dirt road on BLM land, but 1750 yards seems to always involve climbing down and up a canyon to setup a piece of steel or to repaint.

Update. I loaded some 300gr berger tatical otm with 91.5 gr of h1000 in lapua brass. I shot a 3 shot group that was roughly 12-15 inches. Problem was i had no spotter and couldnt see hits. I video taped the session and saw the splash in the dirt 1 foot right of target. I drove down and found 3 rounds in a 12-15 in area. I wish id had a spotter that day. I have no prob saying i could have done it on target, but i still think its pretty good!!

You ELR guys are always blowing my mind... im a long time lurker in this forum... but i have absolutely no experience in it, aside from lobbing golf balls from the m107.

If i ever have the money for these toys; reading all this stuff will really have paid off. haha

Keep having fun.

B4....i have got into the ELR pretty cheap. $1750 for the savage 110 ba in .338 lapua, $1100 for the leupold mk 4 8.5-25x50, $120 for the EGW base, $100 for mk 4 rings, $700 for the YHM .338 suppresor with muzzle break, $40 or so for reloading dies, and i dont remember what brass, berger bullets, primers and powder cost but u could say around $1000 to reload around 100 rounds. Ok its not cheap but it sure is fun!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aussiegolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">B4....i have got into the ELR pretty cheap. $1750 for the savage 110 ba in .338 lapua, $1100 for the leupold mk 4 8.5-25x50, $120 for the EGW base, $100 for mk 4 rings, $700 for the YHM .338 suppresor with muzzle break, $40 or so for reloading dies, and i dont remember what brass, berger bullets, primers and powder cost but u could say around $1000 to reload around 100 rounds. Ok its not cheap but it sure is fun!!!! </div></div>

You had me until the grand/per hundred rounds. hahaha.

$1000 per 100 rounds is just start up. i figure after you have everything i probably reload for $4.00 or less a round. prolly much less. beats the 7-9 bucks for factory!!!

Congrats on the mile shot, I just made 1130 this weekend! How thick is the steel you made the mile shot on? How deep was the dent? I am going to take a piece out to a mile but I have to make sure it will hold up. I too am shooting the BA 338, I will use the 300gr SMK.

Here is a short vid of the 1130 yard shot, you can hear the strike at about 9.15.

Diego

Congrat's on joining the 1 mile club. I have the same rifle but
with a NF NXS 5.5-22x50mm. I'm swapping out the factory rail for
a Murphy Precision with a 40 MOA cant.

Was out last week and went 12 out of 40 at a mile. I was trying
5 different powder blends with various bullets.
Week before we were shooting 2000yds. I had 5 hits.

It's a great feeling when you make impact at that distance isn't
it...

I'm reloading with Lapua Brass, Federal 215M primers, H-1000 (100gr.) and Sierra Match King HPBT 250gr.

Here's a video I posted up this past April shooting a mile.
This was before I started reloading, using some HSM ammo.
https://vimeo.com/40376685

Keep up the great shooting.

MDslammer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigdog2084</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone know of a 3000 yard range on the east coast?</div></div>

Thunder Valley is out to at least 2400 now

I took my 300 SAUM AR10 out to a mile on a 13" steel circle a month or so ago. Went 3/25 but I consider that pretty damn good considering I've never shot past 1450, and even then was at a 25"x35" plate.

I'm hooked and even though my 1500 is probably the limit of my current ability and equipment...the mile mark is still a hell of an achievement. Congrats. Next up...2k!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am still not a member. 1600 yd is my best so far. Your post has got me thinking this winter I need to get working on the mile mark.

Nice shooting and thanks for the Motivation </div></div>

If you've hit 1600 you have everything you need to hit 1760. Just enough trials like everyone else, and you'll finally hit it.

The far, far bigger challenge is to do it with any measure of consistency. I've hit a plateau in my mile shooting last season. I hope to understand if wind, ammo variation, and user error can be overcome to make 24"x24" hits at least a 50/50 proposition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aussiegolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mike

used a leupold rangefinder at the 1/2 way mark. i know my land is just a little over a mile with a center pivot watering system in the middle that is 1/2 mile long. then i used google earth to check if we were close. na i weigh around 160 so we took my mesurments and added 4 inches to it! lol shooting 300gr berger hybrid tatical now. we will see how they shoot tomorrow. gonna re-zero at 500yds
</div></div>

Now that's awesome, I can say I've never seen anyone measure distance with a pivot system. Congrats and welcome to the club!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope to understand if wind, ammo variation, and user error can be overcome to make 24"x24" hits at least a 50/50 proposition. </div></div>
This is my goal as well, but I would prefer to be ABOVE 50%...even if it's just .501
My percentage would have been much better with a 24x24 plate, but still not 50%. Time, and money...is all it takes.

Thanks fir the encouragement, I have been shooting a 260 for the last 2 years and hope to Hit 1760 yd with the 260 using 140 Berger vld @ 2770 fps.

In my mind I hope to make at least 3 hits out of 10 on a 22x24" target providing conditions are perfect.

If the 260 will not get the job done I have a 30" barreled 338 ultra that I have not shot since receiving a neck injury in Afghanistan 2 years ago. I may try to start shooting the 338 again and see if ny neck will hold up to the recoil.

Any one shot to a mile with the 260?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope to understand if wind, ammo variation, and user error can be overcome to make 24"x24" hits at least a 50/50 proposition. </div></div>
This is my goal as well, but I would prefer to be ABOVE 50%...even if it's just .501
My percentage would have been much better with a 24x24 plate, but still not 50%. Time, and money...is all it takes. </div></div>

Relative "newb" here, but I would venture to guess as stated above that time/practice is what is limiting you from that goal. 300 SMK's are still above Mach 1.15-1.2 at my altitude to just over the mile in 338 Lapua, so i am guessing the 300 Scenars or VLDs are slightly better. Still "supersonic" but in the 1.0-1.1 range out to +/- 2000yds.

Taking long range course this past Sept in Raton NM at 6800 feet approx elev had strings of consecutive hits with 20" bbl LTR in .308 from 1000-1200yds. that 24" square is slightly under 1.5MOA in size at 1760yds. Our instructor repeatedly emphasized that for practical/tactical shooting at 1000 and beyond that 1.5MOA is good all things considered and that 1 MOA is excellent. Not to say less than 1 MOA isn't possible or good for a goal, but if you are ringing 1 MOA size steel beyond 1000yds with any sort of consistency, you are getting the job done.

good luck/shooting.

I don't think practice/time is that which will get you to consistent hits at ELR distances like the mile.

Based on my experience in this pursuit for last three years (not alot admittedly), I'd say reading the wind is the final variable and ultimate limitation, and that wind conditions can be complex, random and time varying given any 30 minute shooting session.

For example, we burned alot of 338LM last weekend in our favourite central California shooting range, where winds eddy and flow around canyons, combining with thermals, etc... and you shots are pretty steady, about 1-1.5MOA vertically, but horizontall, I can be plus or minus 2 MILS from steel one shot to the next. BUT, the winds and mirage died down for like 5 min on both ends (we have flags at the far end), and I immediately put 3 of 3 hits on the 24x24 steel at 1790 yards. The mirage started wiggling again, and there went the shots left and right.

I'm sort of losing interest in this ELR activity at the mile since it seems one cannot make a reliable tool of it. I am thinking of focusing my practice to 1000-1200 yards instead, where perhaps with 338LM there is less horizontal dispersion from wind.