• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Finally hit the mile mark!

Re: Finally hit the mile mark!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think practice/time is that which will get you to consistent hits at ELR distances like the mile.

Based on my experience in this pursuit for last three years (not alot admittedly), I'd say reading the wind is the final variable and ultimate limitation, and that wind conditions can be complex, random and time varying given any 30 minute shooting session.

For example, we burned alot of 338LM last weekend in our favourite central California shooting range, where winds eddy and flow around canyons, combining with thermals, etc... and you shots are pretty steady, about 1-1.5MOA vertically, but horizontall, I can be plus or minus 2 MILS from steel one shot to the next. BUT, the winds and mirage died down for like 5 min on both ends (we have flags at the far end), and I immediately put 3 of 3 hits on the 24x24 steel at 1790 yards. The mirage started wiggling again, and there went the shots left and right.

I'm sort of losing interest in this ELR activity at the mile since it seems one cannot make a reliable tool of it. I am thinking of focusing my practice to 1000-1200 yards instead, where perhaps with 338LM there is less horizontal dispersion from wind. </div></div>

Well, in my mind practice/time means you are getting more chance to hone your mechanics, as well as honing your wind reading skills, which I agree are probably THE largest variable. Wind flags (if you got em), mirage, vegetation movement, etc. all are probably the components that take the most practice/time to truly get a good grip on. I doubt anyone can say they truly have "mastered" that element for ELR practical/tactical shooting, as is substantiated by the fact that most ELR confirmed hits are not on first shots.

I think we basically agree,just vary a bit in our interpretation of what "practice/time" can entail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aussiegolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">B4....i have got into the ELR pretty cheap. $1750 for the savage 110 ba in .338 lapua, $1100 for the leupold mk 4 8.5-25x50, $120 for the EGW base, $100 for mk 4 rings, $700 for the YHM .338 suppresor with muzzle break, $40 or so for reloading dies, and i dont remember what brass, berger bullets, primers and powder cost but u could say around $1000 to reload around 100 rounds. Ok its not cheap but it sure is fun!!!! </div></div>

How's that Phantom .338 work for you? One thing that I noticed was how relatively inexpensive it was compared to competition. It is chromoly steel and heavy as I recall (over 2 lbs), but I don't really care on a 13+ pound rifle to begin with. How does YHM brake/QD device manage recoil when not running the suppressor?

How does sound suppression compare with higher cost models from Thunderbeast, AAC, SAS, etc? Have you had it out with any guys running competitors cans?

JHF, agreed. In my particular mile/ELR shooting area (BLM) we are going across half a mile of slowly descending rolling hills, then the 2nd half of a mile is across a deep/steep canyon and the target is on the opposite slope of this canyon. Really hard to read the wind in the middle of that open area with no ground nearby.Plus the winds switch direction often... tough area.

75 grains of Ramshot Magnum, Federal 210M, Sierra 240 SMK, .002 off the lands, Winchester Brass. Will give about 2750 fps; if you have a 1 in 10 twist barrel, you need at least a 26 inch tube; a 1 in 9 will givee better performance, but this load shoots ridiculously well out of my PSS, easily 1/2 moa.