• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Finally Made it to Lexington KY!!

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2007
Glacier Valley Alaska
Be in the AO end of April, looking for any INTEL on Lexington and Ky in general; shooting, hunting, camping, fishing, where to live or not to live, etc. Wife is from Dukedom Ky. Not sure when house goods will arrive so will not have any toys. No entertainment either after April 15 until it all arrives when ever that will be.

Any way, once settled will be willing to drive to where it takes there to have happy times.

Re: Moving to Lexington KY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be in the AO end of April, looking for any INTEL on Lexington and Ky in general; shooting, hunting, camping, fishing, where to live or not to live, etc. Wife is from Dukedom Ky. Not sure when house goods will arrive so will not have any toys. No entertainment either after April 15 until it all arrives when ever that will be.

Any way, once settled will be willing to drive to where it takes there to have happy times. </div></div>

Where to start...I guess with shooting. If you're looking to shoot pistol theres a new indoor range opening up soon, Buds. The link shows the location of their current store which doesn't have a range. I think the new store opens at the end of this month. The only other public range around here that I know of is http://www.bgslinc.com/ Bluegrass Sportsmen's League which is in Wilmore, about 20 minutes outside of Lexington. They have rifle and pistol ranges up to 300 yards along with hiking trails, trap, skeet, and sporting clays. I don't know of any other local ranges, maybe another local can help you out more.

There's several good places to fish within a reasonable drive. There are a couple lakes on the south side of town around Richmond Rd that are stocked and the lakes are public. I'm having a mental block on their names but I'll come back and edit it in later. Lake Herrington is pretty close too, about a 20-25 minute drive. I've heard the fishing is pretty decent but I've never fished it myself. If you want to fish for muskies, the musky capital of the world is Cave Run Lake. It's about an hour east, just take I-64. Within 3 hours drive you also have Lake Cumberland with great boating and Dale Hollow with excellent fishing.

As for hunting I can't really help you too much. I do my hunting on a personal farm.

There are a bunch of places to camp. One of my favorites is the Zilpo campground at Cave Run Lake. Its pretty isolated with campsites being spread out. I've never been to either but I'm sure either Natural Bridge or Red River Gorge has nice camping. Check out any of the state parks, most have a pretty decent campground.

Hope this helps. If you want to know anything else about Lexington feel free to ask.

Welcome to KY. There is a 200yd range in Crittenden about 30 min north of Lexington. Also have trap and skeet. Also a class III dealer off that exit.

Fishing: You are close to lake Cumberland. I go small mouth fishing there twice a year. They also have great striper fishing there. Just make sure that you are not there for there poker run. 500 off shore boats on that lake is crazy.

Hunting: I have never been there, but Fort Knox has had a lot of good deer come out of there. You might be able to shoot there. I don't know.

Far as Lexington goes: There are gun shows at Rupp Arena. Keeneland in the spring is awesome. The KY bourbon trail around there. Got to eat at Joe Bolognas. Close to knob creek(famous machine gun shoot)

One other thing about Lexington. There is this basketball team there that gets a lot of attention. You will learn very fast that UK basketball is king. And there are a lot of people who will defend that team as they would there country.

I live a little north of there but will try to answer any questions you have. Send me a pm if you have any questions.

Thanks, very apprehensive about this. It will be a huge change to everything I know and do. Wife will be home so if she is happy I am happy
smile.gif

If I make it a year I should be good to go if not...not sure.

I follow college football, I hope to see LSU, Gators, Tide play when they come to town.

I worry that everything there is locked up and over crowded.

Thanks

Made it, long way, it about 4500 miles from the house in Alaska. Sorry about the weather I brought, AK weather followed me here, cool, windy and wet, talk of 37F tonight and I love the rain and wind, drizzle actually but this is rain in Alaska. Still snowing back home.

No kit yet or nothing; TV, computer, etc but 2 mobags and a backpack. In a hotel now. Will have it all shipped down next month arriving in June.

I guess I have to wait 6 months for my CCW permit, will check out some gun shops soon too.

Not what I thought, very green and open but I have a good case of allergies rocking my world.

So, looking to hook up with Ky Hiders to actuate a trigger once my kit arrives.

Glad to have you here in the bluegrass state. I am sure it will be somewhat of an ecological culture shock coming from Alaska to Kentucky. As far as allergies you just happen to run into what has been one of the worst allergy prone springs we've had in many years, the spring pollen has been off the charts.

Largest gun show near us will be June 12-13 in Louisville at the fair grounds near the airport (1hr:10min away) You need to go to this one.

A smaller one will be in downtown Lexington at Lexington Center/Rupp arena June 19-20.

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/kentucky.htm

There seem to be many "Hiders" here in KY, we must look into a get together shoot sometime.

Welcome to KY.
Kentucky is what you make of it. You can either love it or hate it. If you are a hunter we have a record turkey season going on right now. Our deer season is great too.

We have great hunting and gun friendly laws here.

Decide which to support UK or UL<G>

Things I do every year.

Thunder
derby
knob creek X2
Lake Cumberland poker run
Deer hunting
turkey hunting
Lots of long range coyote kills

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lovetsx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Decide which to support UK or UL </div></div>

That's a no brainer, see below....

<span style="font-weight: bold">If you look like, act like or wanna-be like this your a UL fan:</span>
loufans.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">If on the other hand you like this your a UK fan:</span>
1467kentucky-girls-love-dick.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">I THINK THE CHOICE IS OBVIOUS!</span>

But that girl will turn into this as Soon as Calamari has them on probation and their wins vacated ala Memphis and UMass

Ashley.jpg

Welcome to the State. Lexington's a great town if you ignore the all the Blue. Enjoy Derby Week.

Nice JBRIII, LOL..
smile.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">The great thing is most of the time she looks like this:</span>
Ashley-Judd-UK-hockey.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">On the other hand as a UofL fan you will likely want to look like this all the time:</span>
ULFans.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Just don't forget:</span>
louisville.jpg

And you can't spell SUCKS without UK
smile.gif
All in good fun. My wife's a UK grad, I'm a UL grad so we live in a house divided twice a year. And I think that was me with the bag over my head during the Krapthorpe era. Thank god that douche is outa here. Now with Coach Strong we'll get back to a BCS bowl soon. BTW wwhat''s your BCS Bowl record? Oh what's that, never been to one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBRIII</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> BTW wwhat''s your BCS Bowl record? Oh what's that, never been to one? </div></div>

Well now...... if we're dragging out our "measuring sticks" I must point out the fact that at least UK has a football National Championship, Kentucky beat Oklahoma in the 1951 Sugar Bowl and claimed the 1950 Sagarin National Championship.... no matter the age I think that trumps your lower BCS bowl win against Wake, Oh, and play in the SEC and you'd never get to a BCS bowl game...
smile.gif
I hope your wife gives you hell!! LOL...

We'll see. Slive is courting us for expansion.

You really have to go back 60 years????
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBRIII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We'll see. Slive is courting us for expansion.
</div></div>

Not sure how I feel about that to be honest. Kind of like it like it the way it is. What's the feeling up there?

Just all rumor and conjecture but something is going to happen with the Big 10 and Pac-10. We'll see where the domino's fall I guess. I really like the BE for Basketball, but if a few (Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt) bolt, football will be doomed and we'd be crazy not to jump.