• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finally took the CZ455 VPT out; this was all your fault for talking me into buying one

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    As some of you may remember, I started a thread 2 or so months ago about wanting to upgrade my Savage MKII after its scope took a shit and I finally had enough of the stock and some other parts. The thread went from what to do about the Savage to screw the Savage and buy a CZ455, a scope you would put on a 'regular' rifle and be done with it. Initially I thought that I was just going to replace the cheap 100$ rimfire scope I had and upgrade a few parts but, well....here we are.

Finally took her out today. She is completely stock, no bedding, no trigger upgrade, nothing done except installing the scope/rings/base and going out to shoot.

CZ455 VPT with the Manner's stock
    Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10
    Vortex Rings
    DIP 30MOA CZ base

Decided to grab my ruck and some basic gear and head out on public land near my wife's job after dropping her off. The problem with where she was today was that it is 90% cliffs/hills/canyons but I did find a spot where I could post a target and get a level shot at with a clear field of fire and safe backstop.

Conditions were pretty hot. 95 when I got there, over 100 when I left. Start/stop wind coming from my left at 7-10mph and then swirling around in the area the target was posted in which caught me a few times as it gave a fake wind sign; this made you test your patience for when you had 3 or 4 rounds out in no wind and then the wind picked up for anywhere from a few seconds to minutes. I shot prone with a bipod on the bare sandy/rocky/overgrown ground for the duration and got acquainted with quite a few bugs crawling around on me.

Started at 100 yards to get it on paper using some old Olin 22lr that was never very accurate in any rifle I've shot it through so thought why not. I was surprised that after I walked it on paper it shot a roughly 1 inch group right away. Shot some more and saw the groups tightening up by the shot as more rounds went downrange and then started with the Wolf Match Target I came to test it with.

80% of the groups I shot were under or at an inch, with the wind gusting to screw me out of a few at the end. It was insane as to how this rifle felt, performed and how I was able to drive it. Decided to move as far back as I could once I started getting very small, consistent groups and moved to 135 yards via my LRF. After adjusting for the distance and dialing up to almost 21 inches of drop from what my ballistics chart said (and it had been spot on for the Wolf all day)for the last round of the day and shot this .660 5 shot group. Obviously this isn't the average as the MOA/sub MOA groups I was seeing constantly were, but when I walked up to find this group I knew I had to take a pic.

Only thing I am looking to do is have the trigger smoothed out as I have read and now firsthand felt the creep it has and get a stock pack as the comb is just THAT much too short for my face.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
      photo.jpg
      82.7 KB · Views: 14
    • photo(1).jpg
      photo(1).jpg
      82.3 KB · Views: 14
    • photo(2).jpg
      photo(2).jpg
      54.9 KB · Views: 15
    Last edited:
    Thats pretty good shooting. Makes me want to scrap the tacticool model and do the 455 pt. How did the stock feel. Seems like it is alarge palm swell. Thanks and good shooting, RG

I would also like to know how you like the stock. I have an FVSR and have a Manners arriving tomorrow.

Love the stock. I have McM and HS Precision stocks but never had a Manners before this; everything about this stock is quality. This isn't just a generic drop in where you may need to inlet something to get it to sit right. The fitment to the bottom metal as well as where the bolt-handle and barrel contour are makes it obvious that this stock was made for the action yet is full sized and not made smaller due to the smaller caliber - this was a big plus and buying point for me as the Savage MKII stocks drove me nuts.

While it is built like a tank it isn't unusually heavy and the finish is a very nice touch. The spots where the finish was given an 'abrasive' touch are not overdone and the area where the stock transitions to the comb is beefy enough to get a good and even grip allowing you to shoulder your rifle assertively yet not 'over-molded' or made too big to where it fells like it was made for someone twice your size. The only thing that took some getting used to is the aggressive cut on the bottom of the butt-stock to allow you to place your handle underneath; this may take some getting used to when using a rear bag and being used to a more traditionally cut stock.

I am contemplating having the stock bedded after the phenomenal showing the rifle had today to see what it can ultimately do and was hoping to call MCS to also find out if they offered a longer butt-pad or a spacer system like McM does as my LOP would be an inch or so longer than the butt pad/stock length offer.

Welcome to your new favorite addiction!! Add some small steel targets and fall all the way down the rabbit hole. ;)

Can you tell me how long the barrel actually is? I need to make sure that there is enough length so that I can get the end cut for a suppressor. I just bought one of the savage mk 11's to try out. The one with the fluted and threaded barrel but the stock is exceptionally cheap. It shot good out to 50 yards, around 3/4's of an inch and then about 1.5in group at 75 yards. Did not get it out to 100. I will try again in a couple of days to see what I can wring out of her. I sure like that cz pt though.

Can you tell me how long the barrel actually is? I need to make sure that there is enough length so that I can get the end cut for a suppressor. I just bought one of the savage mk 11's to try out. The one with the fluted and threaded barrel but the stock is exceptionally cheap. It shot good out to 50 yards, around 3/4's of an inch and then about 1.5in group at 75 yards. Did not get it out to 100. I will try again in a couple of days to see what I can wring out of her. I sure like that cz pt though.

CZ's site says 20.5 inches. I'll tell you, I knew it was short when I ordered it but when I first took it out of the box I seriously stared at it and thought that this can't be right.

I just took the tape measure out and you have just under 7 inches from the end of the front of the stock to the muzzle. Unless the suppressor goes back that far to thread on, you should be fine. After shooting it a while I said to myself that I will probably incur the cost of a suppressor for this rifle as it is LOUD compared to the Savage MKII I have.

Here's the 455VPT info: http://cz-usa.com/products/view/455-precision-trainer/

On another note, if you need a LOP more than the relatively short 13.75 inches it has Manner's offers their spacer system for 108$ installed.

Last edited:
    Seems like a bargain. It makes me want to rethink all my projects.

Not to knock anyone but while this rifle isn't cheap, I don't see better/more consistent groups coming out of anything more expensive. Then again it can/will depend on the rifle and ammo combination as well. I may have gotten lucky that it LOVES the Wolf Match and wasn't a rifle they made on a Friday at 430.

Manners will add the adjustable length of pull for the same price as ordering on a new stock, $105. They quoted about a 2 week turn around.

Over the winter I may send in both my VPT stock and the T4A I just dropped my 700 into.

Manners will add the adjustable length of pull for the same price as ordering on a new stock, $105. They quoted about a 2 week turn around.

Over the winter I may send in both my VPT stock and the T4A I just dropped my 700 into.

Talked to Matt at Manners and that's what he said. Am thinking about sending it to them with the Timney trigger as well to make sure it fits because I'm not messing with the stock.

Might as well do these things now rather than after I have a filled out range log.

Well shit, I guess even though I just got the savage, I am going to have to order up the 455 pt and get it threaded for my can. After sitting at the range the other day pulling the trigger and all you heard was the steel back stop going ping, ping, ping, I can't seem to get enough of it. The savage shot good but in the end, I think I want something that can drill holes at 100 yards. There was a guy there shooting one of the savage's with the thumbhole stock that was shooting moa at 100 though. I will have to get looking for one. And I just found out that sportsmans guide just shipped my case of eley I have been waiting on for the last 4 months.

Last edited:
    I think that all Manners stocks are already setup for the Timney and similar triggers already.

At least my Timney on Rem700 fit perfectly into a T4A.

Well shit, I guess even though I just got the savage, I am going to have to order up the 455 pt and get it threaded for my can. After sitting at the range the other day pulling the trigger and all you heard was the steel back stop going ping, ping, ping, I can't seem to get enough of it. The savage shot good but in the end, I think I want something that can drill holes at 100 yards. There was a guy there shooting one of the savage's with the thumbhole stock that was shooting moa at 100 though. I will have to get looking for one. And I just found out that sportsmans guide just shipped my case of eley I have been waiting on for the last 4 months.

You're going to want the can; the shorter barrel make this thing loud as far as a 22LR goes.