• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

finding a Rem 700 5r milspec in 300 win

Dave Garrett

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2012
I been trying to find a 300 with 26 inch barrel in the rem 700 ss 5r milspec. If anyone runs across one either new or used could you please message me. This is my first post but been a longtime reader...Thanks dgarrett

Be patient. They come up. If I see one, I'll let ya know. I've got 3-308s, and the 223. I'm "looking", myself, to complete the string of 5Rs. Where are you? There's no info. You have , like, 3 posts. I "used to know" a Dave Garrett, in SE Pa. If you're him: F off! Don't bother calling.

Last edited:
I'm not the one you knew/know. I live in Montana. I have the 5r 308. I am want to work over a 5r 300 win mag. Put a 28 inch Hart Barrel with Brake. I'll chase whatever else action/trigger to make it a shooter. Any way thanks for the advise. Dave Garrett

I am want to work over a 5r 300 win mag. Put a 28 inch Hart Barrel with Brake. I'll chase whatever else action/trigger to make it a shooter.

IF you want to change out the part that makes the Remington 5R's 5R's, why not just get an action and get a barrel put on it and throw it in whatever stock you want? Is there something special about the 5R action that is much different than a regular 700 action besides that its stainless?

I want the stainless and I want the HS stock. I have another 300 I will use the original barrel on. Buying the complete 5r 300 win is the same price as buying a custom action. If it keeps me occupied for 4-5 months I may have what I wanted when its done and it kept me busy. Probably not a perfect plan dollar wise but if I use everything but the original trigger on my guns I am not wasting to much.... Dave Garrett

I know of a Sendero in 300 WM locally. If you're interested let me know and I can ask them about a price and payment options for you.

I've been seeing the 5R 300WM's on gunbroker for quite a while. Very annoying when looking for a .308-20. Some deals better than others, just keep looking every day or two.

Krieger makes a 5R in some calibers, and .30 is one of them. They are pretty good, I built a .284 with one last year, on a 40X action and the first time out with it at Long Range (800, 900, 1000) I made High Master and the scores were as good at the end of 120 rounds as at the start, without any cleaning. You can just get one from them and have a gunsmith put it on a Magnum action and then stick it in a HS stock.