• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Finding the right scope

fskjester

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2014
Washington, MI
Recently I acquired a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD.

Which type of mounts, rail and scope do I need?

My intentions are to shoot at the 500m range once a week or more. Hunt a few weekends a year and once or twice a year go to the 1000 yd range.

I'm looking for an inexpensive scope to get me there. I believe I'd like something 4-16x40 at minimum. Looking for variable zoom. Turrets for adjustments to get me to 1000k yards.

I want to spend as little money as possible. I'm new to distance shooting and want get get out and learn. I'm basically looking for the bare minimum that will get me out on the range so I can begin learning.

I can always upgrade later. I'd love to spend $150. I know that's unlikely so whatever scope gets me all or most of those requirements while staying as close as possible to the price range.

I can't stress this enough - I WILL BE UPGRADING THE SCOPE AS NECESSARY, RIGHT NOW I JUST WANT TO GET ON THE RANGE.

$150 I would look into a BSA:

BSA Tactical Mil-Dot Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 44mm Side Focus Glass

That was my budget scope on my .223 when I first started stretching legs. It did a great job for what it is worth. Still have it around, just on a 22 now.

It is hard to beat for that price.

Also as far as a rail and scope mounts go:

I think the scope comes with mounts, but I would recommend a set of Vortex 30mm mediums off amazon. I think they are $18 a ring (make sure you order 2!).

For a rail, I would get at a 20 MOA. Seekins, Badger, Nightforce are all really nice among others. For a budget rail I would look at a EGW.

Last edited:
Yea the Bushy was going to me my second recommendation behind the BSA.

Let me get into my safe and let you know if I want to part with it (see if I have a replacement I could put on my .22). I've been looking into that place as I spend a lot of time in Wayland.

I just applied for membership and should have it a week from Monday. I'd love to have someone to shoot with and especially to learn from. It's free for me to bring anyone with me.

I ordered the BSA. Still have to order Rings and rail. I was looking between a 20mo and a 40moa base. Any recommendations? I would like the scope to be capable of shooting deer which could be 30 yards away. will a 40 moa base allow for that? will a 20? If I have to give up the 30 yard range in order to get the 1000 yrd range, what will be my minimum distance. Please excuse me if this sounds dumb, I'm very much still learning.

I would recommend 20 MOA. That BSA won't have enough travel for 40 MOA. it should have enough for 20 or close to. Get it sighted at 100 or even 200 and you won't miss at 40 if you're aiming center mass. Let me know when you get membership, I wouldn't mind coming by.

Wait longer make a one time investment and buy a better scope. Just my .2 cents

I few guys I know have had really good luck with the Primary Arms 4-14x44 mil/mil FFP scope. It's $229 i believe, and has seemed to track well and hold zero perfectly. It's seems like a good option if you want FFP and mil/mil, and my buddies shoot out to 1,000 yards with it consistently. https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_14X44_FFP_Scope_p/pa4-14xffp.htm

If you want MOA and don't care about FFP, I think they have a 4-16 SFP version with illuminated reticle for around $159. I've never shot one personally, but PA seems to have a good reputation, despite the inexpensive price tags. https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_16X44_Illuminated_Mil_Dot_Scope_p/pa416x.htm

For a little more, Falcon Menace makes a good 4-14x44 mil/mil FFP scope that I have personally used extensively in the past, and it was a fantastic scope for the money. They are around $350 i believe.

SO that BSA Scope I picked up... Went to mount it and the cross hairs are outa wack. They are angled when the scope is 90 degrees. I read so many good review for that scope I'm going to do an exchange and see if the next one is right. If so I'll be happy as long as it works. If not well on to a bit nicer scope and a little bit of overtime.

Try to get a refund and don't make the same mistake again. You are strapped for cash so you are only hurting yourself by wasting money on cheap throw-away products.

You pay for what you get when it comes to optics. One of the best scopes you can get for the price I feel is the Vortex HST. They are very well made and for the price they are right.

cstactical
rfl_vhs-t_s_4-16x44_moa_fr-t.jpg

MOA or MRAD
vmr%20reticle.jpg