• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finish for Milspec 5R

Wild Eyed Southern Boy

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2008
Columbia, Tennessee
I've picked up two 24" 5R Rems, one in .308 and one in .233. Both really impress me with good handloads.

I would like to darken the metal though. Something dark gray like the color of parked. I'm not really up on some of the new finishes like duracoat.
Could I get some opinions? Maybe somebody in Tennessee?

Re: Finish for Milspec 5R

I'd have it Cerakoted, much more durable/tougher finish and you can get a variety of colors.

you can buy a park kit.
It is just a dip. Will require disassembly

I read about a guy who loved how his PSS looked but wanted a 5R. so, he bought one, duracoated the 5R, then put it in a PSS stock. Now, he actually wrote up a nice tutorial on how he did the duracoat and everything. He goes into what he would do different, what worked, etc. really got some awesome results. i'm posting the link so you can take a look for yourself, maybe it will help out.

http://www.tobystactical.com/2007/11/duracoat-rifle-paint.html

-Paulus

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can buy a park kit.
It is just a dip. Will require disassembly </div></div>
Unfortunately that won't work on stainless steel. Cerakote if you can, otherwise Duracoat or similar (Alumahyde) will be adequate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can buy a park kit.
It is just a dip. Will require disassembly </div></div>
Unfortunately that won't work on stainless steel. Cerakote if you can, otherwise Duracoat or similar (Alumahyde) will be adequate. </div></div>

Did not know that.
I have learned something today.

Maybe Predator Custom in Knoxville, TN. Never used them myself, but a friend speaks highly of them.

Krylon--it's cheap, can get your scope/rings/base matching the rifle/stock, a DIY job, and easily changed/modified if you move (i.e. going from an arid location to a more wooded/green spot. It may not be the most durable/pretty finish if you want the rifle to look nice in pictures on the internet but for a working gun, that's irrelevant.

What do people think of KG Guncoat. Is it a pretty good product? It is all i have available to me right now and i am undecided if it is comparable to Ceracoat.