• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finished - M40 Remington SSA Replica Project

M1Army

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2017
Roswell, Georgia
Hi Everyone,

I thought you might enjoy some details of the M40 Replica Project I just completed [with help from many]. Before I start -> this is a "M40 Replica" some of the details are not exactly right, but they were acceptable to me and you always have a cost benefit analysis you have to do when you take on a project like this one [it will always be a Replica].

This project started almost one year ago when I made a comment To a friend that I wanted to have a M40 clone in my collection someday. I really wanted some of the well known weapons from the Vietnam area and at a minimum wanted [several clone versions of the M14; then the M16A1 and M40]. I know other key weapons were used but I really wanted these three in my collection. I was approached by a forum member on another forum forum to take-over a M40 project that was really far along, but the owner decided he wanted to direct resources another way and we began to talk. After a lot of communications with the owner of the project and many of my other "Friends" [that like to help me spend money] they encouraged me to move forward and take over the project which I did and I am glad! The forum member that originally had this project did A LOT of work and is very knowledgeable when discussing the M40.

Here is a teaser pic to hold your interest.......

1585315222597.png

Below find some of the build details:

* Complete (barreled) Action and Bottom Metal:
* Remington SSA SN# LTD ED action
USMC Clip-slotted and U.S. Stamped receiver
Squared & trued (by Master Gunsmith) - Mag box, Spring, Follower and Bottom metal
* Barrel - Shilen Target Barrel Blank - (trued, threaded & installed by Master Gunsmith)
* Remington Varmit (Sendero) Profile - 1:10 Twist - M852 Custom Match/Target .308 Chamber
* M40 proper barrel length & Recessed Target Crown (for target work)
* Proper Recoil Lug
* Bolt has been re-fitted with an Original/Early short bolt shroud (a/k/a Bolt Plug)
* Has been re-fitted with Original Remington early tombstone safety & Original early trigger group
* Has fully mounted Badger Ordinance precision steel M40-40X scope mount/rings - Receiver & mount was drilled and tapped for larger 8X40 screws (for target work)
* Stock Related - Taylor Precision Engineering M40 stock - Unfinished
* Inletting & barrel channel are CNC drop-in quality
* Original Remington 1-1/4 inch sling swivel set
* Original Remington Buttplate
* Original Remington Buttplate Screws
* USGI Cotton Sling - a NEW in Wrap - NOS MRT stamped 1966 sling - a big thanks to A good friend for letting one of his beautiful slings go for this project!
* Original Remington LTD ED M40 box with the SSA special graphics
*Scope - Original Redfield Scope 3X - 9X Gen,-1 with Accu-Range reticle (with ranging scale and stadia lines/wires) in commercial gloss black finish. I am keeping this scope in reserve if a friend decides to do more scope anodizing or if I can find another good source. I was not able to find an acceptable lead to properly anodize the scope.

*The Scope Shown on the Rilfe - is also an original Redfield 3X - 9X Gen - 1 with Accu-Range reticle (with ranging scale and stadia lines/wires). Many of the "original M40" scopes have multiple colors as the anodizing take on different colors from the exposure to light and time. I did not want to put a black glossy scope on this rifle, so I decided to take a chance and experiment with my extra Redfield Scope. I took the scope down to the bare finish and first used a new Duracoat product called Duradize. This product emulated the anodizing process so I did the entire scope with OD Green. Next after looking at many scopes I used Duracoat aged bronze to change the color of some pieces of the scope which turns bronze / light brown over time. I did all of the work with my airbrush and decided I would go with this scope until I can get my other one anodized. I know it is not anodized and aged and it is not perfect for sure, but I went outside the box [as I often do] to see what I could do and met my objective of not having a black scope.

* Stock Finishing - once I got the rifle back from being pillar bedded I did my M1Army thing to the beautiful chunk of Walnut that came from Taylor Precision Engineering. I mixed up my custom mix of Stew Mac stain to give the walnut a nice uniform color and finished the stock using my method(s). I love the look and feel of the stock and the entire rifle for that matter.

Outside Help / Gunsmith - I sent the rifle off to Raven Rifles to do the pillar bedding and to coordinate the final metal finishes for the M40 etc. He did a great job and was easy to work with!

Vietnam Era Gear - I laid out some of the Vietnam ear gear I have acquired over the years and included it in the pictures. I am not suggesting this would be the correct gear necessarily for a Marine carrying a M40, but I just wanted to share some of the gear I have acquired over time. I forgot my bayonet and scabbard and I also have some original meal kits including smokes, insect repellent etc. I included the gear just for fun, but a lot of it is NOS form the mid to late 1960's.

Enjoy a few pics...... M1Army

1585315289650.png

1585315318664.png

1585315340682.png

1585315362186.png

1585315379305.png

1585315683866.png

1585315813043.png

1585315424873.png

Last edited:
Outstanding! Of course we'll need a Range report.... and outdoor pics. ;)

I see them on my computer but not on my iPad - trying to link / inbed from imgur?

Kind of new to the forum so I will see if I can find a post that explains how to post from imgur as I see many pics imbedded in threads?

Thanks for the heads up!

M1Army

Its in the menu bar above your post. Two left of the smily faces. It is the two chain links. I look forward to seeing them.

Unable to see the pix on my computer either. And I'd really like to!

Hi Everyone,

Can you confirm whether or not you can now see the photos?

I see them on my computer and iPad now once I used a different method to put the photos in the original thread.

Thanks, M1Army

Here is a post and other information from my first trip to the range.

I drove over to the Georgia Gun Club for my first range trip. The GGC has a 100 yard indoor range so I like to take new builds to shoot for the first time to eliminate some of the outside variables.

It had been a while since I sent a decent number of rounds down range with a bolt action rifle and the old shoulder felt the heat. It was great to shoot this fine M40 Replica rifle and she performed without flaw. We have so many platforms to choose from today that include tons of new technology, but the simplicity of this rifle was welcoming! Basically you acquire your target, put the cross hairs on it and squeeze the trigger - wham you hit it!

Below was my best group after getting the Redfield scope sighted in and I believe this was an 8 shot group. This was shot at the Georgia Gun Club at the 100 yard indoor range [my favorite place to shoot a new build]. I will share my initial load data and if you have a favorite M40 load maybe you can leave your recipe. I was happy considering the rifle was new and still breaking her in - I was a little rusty too!

I also wanted to say I took part in a QuickLoad group buy on another forum several months ago and have found the software program to be very useful particularly in when you are trying to work-up a new load for a new rifle.

Here are some specifics:

Powder - 42.1 Grains of H-4895
Primer - Federal Match Large Rifle
Bullet - SMK 168 Grain hpbt
Case - New Winchester Brass
Case Trim Length - 2.005
Ogive Measurement - 2.2238 for this rifle/bullet combination after measuring the OAL with my Hornady Overall Length Gage and backing off the lands .020
Accuracy Node - QuickLoad shows 1.228 MS - which is exactly on Node #5 for a 24" barrel.
I have some H-4064 powder I will try in the future as well

1585316924194.png

1585316789856.png

First rounds for test firing.........

1585316826090.png

M1Army

Hi Everyone,

I thought you might enjoy some details of the M40 Replica Project I just completed [with help from many]. Before I start -> this is a "M40 Replica" some of the details are not exactly right, but they were acceptable to me and you always have a cost benefit analysis you have to do when you take on a project like this one [it will always be a Replica].

This project started almost one year ago when I made a comment To a friend that I wanted to have a M40 clone in my collection someday. I really wanted some of the well known weapons from the Vietnam area and at a minimum wanted [several clone versions of the M14; then the M16A1 and M40]. I know other key weapons were used but I really wanted these three in my collection. I was approached by a forum member on another forum forum to take-over a M40 project that was really far along, but the owner decided he wanted to direct resources another way and we began to talk. After a lot of communications with the owner of the project and many of my other "Friends" [that like to help me spend money] they encouraged me to move forward and take over the project which I did and I am glad! The forum member that originally had this project did A LOT of work and is very knowledgeable when discussing the M40.

View attachment 7282994

Squared & trued (by Master Gunsmith) - Mag box, Spring, Follower and Bottom metal
* Barrel - Shilen Target Barrel Blank - (trued, threaded & installed by Master Gunsmith)
* Remington Varmit (Sendero) Profile - 1:10 Twist - M852 Custom Match/Target .308 Chamber
* Proper Recoil Lug
* Bolt has been re-fitted with an Original/Early short bolt shroud (a/k/a Bolt Plug)
* Has been re-fitted with Original Remington early tombstone safety & Original early trigger group
* Has fully mounted Badger Ordinance precision steel M40-40X scope mount/rings - Receiver & mount was drilled and tapped for larger 8X40 screws (for target work)
* USGI Cotton Sling - a NEW in Wrap - NOS MRT stamped 1966 sling - a big thanks to A good friend for letting one of his beautiful slings go for this project!
*Scope - Original Redfield Scope 3X - 9X Gen,-1 with Accu-Range reticle (with ranging scale and stadia lines/wires) in commercial gloss black finish. I am keeping this scope in reserve if a friend decides to do more scope anodizing or if I can find another good source. I was not able to find an acceptable lead to properly anodize the scope.

*The Scope Shown on the Rilfe - is also an original Redfield 3X - 9X Gen - 1 with Accu-Range reticle (with ranging scale and stadia lines/wires). Many of the "original M40" scopes have multiple colors as the anodizing take on different colors from the exposure to light and time. I did not want to put a black glossy scope on this rifle, so I decided to take a chance and experiment with my extra Redfield Scope. I took the scope down to the bare finish and first used a new Duracoat product called Duradize. This product emulated the anodizing process so I did the entire scope with OD Green. Next after looking at many scopes I used Duracoat aged bronze to change the color of some pieces of the scope which turns bronze / light brown over time. I did all of the work with my airbrush and decided I would go with this scope until I can get my other one anodized. I know it is not anodized and aged and it is not perfect for sure, but I went outside the box [as I often do] to see what I could do and met my objective of not having a black scope.

* Stock Finishing - once I got the rifle back from being pillar bedded I did my M1Army thing to the beautiful chunk of Walnut that came from Taylor Precision Engineering. I mixed up my custom mix of Stew Mac stain to give the walnut a nice uniform color and finished the stock using my method(s). I love the look and feel of the stock and the entire rifle for that matter.

Outside Help / Gunsmith - I sent the rifle off to Raven Rifles to do the pillar bedding and to coordinate the final metal finishes for the M40 etc. He did a great job and was easy to work with!

Vietnam Era Gear - I laid out some of the Vietnam ear gear I have acquired over the years and included it in the pictures. I am not suggesting this would be the correct gear necessarily for a soldier carrying a M40, but I just wanted to share some of the gear I have acquired over time. I forgot my bayonet and scabbard and I also have some original meal kits including smokes, insect repellent etc. I included the gear just for fun, but a lot of it is NOS form the mid to late 1960's.

View attachment 7282996

View attachment 7282998

View attachment 7282999

View attachment 7283001

View attachment 7283002

View attachment 7283014

View attachment 7283015

View attachment 7283006
Very nice!! good luck with it!!!

Vietnam Era Gear - I laid out some of the Vietnam ear gear I have acquired over the years and included it in the pictures. I am not suggesting this would be the correct gear necessarily for a soldier Marine carrying an M40
Just a minor nit to pick

I do like my brothers in the Department of the Navy's juvenile offender program.........

Reactions: Duc
"Vietnam Era Gear - I laid out some of the Vietnam ear gear I have acquired over the years and included it in the pictures. I am not suggesting this would be the correct gear necessarily for a soldier Marine carrying an M40"

Made the suggested edit..... My dad would have been pissed......

Reactions: 308pirate
The pix made it through this time. Thanks -- very nice looking build, and apparently a good shooter too. Ya done good! Thanks for the report.

Reactions: Centuriator
Very cool! Georgia Gun Club in the Buford/Lawrenceville area..?? Im right down the road dude we ought to link some time when stuff gets back to normal

Pics came through great.

You worked that stock beautifully.

If Mark Williams put it together for you there is no doubt than it has been done right. He has built two rifles for me an d both are favorites. One exceedingly so.

I want to investigate 42 grains of 4895 more as I have had rifles shoot that very well.

Whats the scope base?

Badger with slotted screws?

Last edited:
I want to investigate 42 grains of 4895 more as I have had rifles shoot that very well
A Sierra 168 over 42 grains of H4895 in 308 is like Sierra 77 over 24 grains of Varget in 223

if your rifle won't shoot that, there's something wrong with it

Reactions: pmclaine
Beautiful rifle Sir, I’m wondering how much work is needed to rework a old Remington police stock. Has anyone ever done a comparison between a police stock and a Taylor stock since there no longer available.

Kyle is still providing stocks.

If you message him on Facebook people have been finding what they seek.

Wow!

That is a great looking, great shooting rifle. Congrats!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Phil, I’m one of 5 people in the whole world who doesn’t have Facebook....lol

Me either.

I think I made an account to leave a review of a book "Sitrep: VietNam" written by a Marine Lt that ran a Platoon in Vietnam.

He now runs an Ice Cream store on the Cape - Short and Sweet in Chatham, Ma.

Havent been back to Facebook since.

Kyle is still providing stocks.

If you message him on Facebook people have been finding what they seek.

Below find a few pics of the stock as it came from Taylor Engineering....

1585586542572.png

1585586582835.png

Here is a pic after my final sanding and before starting my teak oil finishing progression / refinish. The bare stock was excellent and required very little work in terms of fitting the barreled receiver. I was very impressed with the stock from Taylor Engineering as a whole!

1585586706082.png

Finished Product

1585586907961.png

Hi Everyone,

View attachment 7282994

* Proper Recoil Lug

Vietnam Era Gear - I laid out some of the Vietnam ear gear I have acquired over the years and included it in the pictures. I am not suggesting this would be the correct gear necessarily for a Marine carrying a M40, but I just wanted to share some of the gear I have acquired over time. I forgot my bayonet and scabbard and I also have some original meal kits including smokes, insect repellent etc. I included the gear just for fun, but a lot of it is NOS form the mid to late 1960's.

View attachment 7282996

View attachment 7282998

View attachment 7282999

View attachment 7283001

View attachment 7283002

View attachment 7283014

View attachment 7283015

View attachment 7283006
Were you able to find a 2 piece sear?

Below find a few pics of the stock as it came from Taylor Engineering....

View attachment 7285720

View attachment 7285721

Here is a pic after my final sanding and before starting my teak oil finishing progression / refinish. The bare stock was excellent and required very little work in terms of fitting the barreled receiver. I was very impressed with the stock from Taylor Engineering as a whole!

View attachment 7285724

Finished Product

View attachment 7285729
Appreciate the information and pictures.

What's the green hard case in the pics?
It is a "Precto-Caddy" hardcase. The rifles were issued with one of hardcases. There was a brown version and green version. I would have preferred the brown case, but Green was used later and this case was in excellent shape.

M1Army

Awesome rifle!! And it’s a shooter! Good luck with it
I have a Redfield sitting here that I will have to try your paint scheme on!
How did you strip the finish off the scope?

The orginal scopes were anodized so you can just rough up the finish a bit with a green pad or 400 grit sand paper. This will work if you use Duracoat.

I did another one for a forum member on the M14Forum.

IMG_6014.JPG

That is the place and I love to take new builds there for the first outing! Would be glad to meet up and I can bring some of my M14's too!
Man I would love to meet up some time with ya and send some rounds down range! We totally gotta do this bro

It is a "Precto-Caddy" hardcase. The rifles were issued with one of hardcases. There was a brown version and green version. I would have preferred the brown case, but Green was used later and this case was in excellent shape.

M1Army
I knew I'd saw that emblem somewhere before, I have the same case...

That stock is an absolute beauty!! :love: There's just something beautiful about a well built wood stocked rifle with a heavy barrel. Did you personally have to inlet the stock for a BDL floorplate type setup? I looked on their website and their unfinished stocks appeared to only be setup for single shot actions with no internal magazine "space/compartment." Wonderful build! Enjoy that setup for many, many years!