• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Finished my precision AR build today (PICS!!!)

edkern

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
I finished building my first AR today.

IMG_3008.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3009.jpg

Here are the specs:
Kreiger 18" fluted H-Bar .223 Wylde 1:7.7 twist
Geissele SSA-E trigger
Vortex PST FFP 4-16x50 scope
LaRue One piece 20MOA QD scope mount
BCM BCG
Magpul PRS
Magpul MOE pistol grip
15" Troy VTAC Battlerail Alpha
Atlas QD Bipod
Aero Precision upper
LAR lower
YHM Stainless Steel QD Phantom M2 in the works (hence the A2 flash hider)

Many thanks to everyone here for your valuable input.

Last edited:
Very similar to one of mine ... you will be VERY PLEASED with the results. Let us know how it shoots.

The fluted krieger barrel looks awesome. I like the dust cover. You did a great job!

Yet another compliment on a nice project coming together edkern, and +1 on wanting a range update.. with pics!

Here are the first grouping for both me and my rifle. I shot 5 shots at 25 yards to get the optic in the right area, then I shot these three groupings at 100 yards. These are my first groupings at 100 yards with any rifle. The most I've ever done is shoot milk jugs with my SKS or Mosin.

A friend from the local gun club helped me load up some ammo for it until the dies that I've back-ordered arrive. These are 77gr SMK under 22.3gr IMR4895.

Here's the first group... admittedly not brilliant:
IMG_0003.jpg

Second was better:
IMG_0004.jpg

Third was better:
IMG_0005.jpg

I have no doubt that with some practice and load development this is a 0.5 MOA gun.

Last edited:
That's a bad-ass looking rifle. I'm really starting to like that type of handguard. The fluted barrel compliments it very well. Reminds me of my Colt CRP-18. It's actually given me an idea to mount a PRS on my Colt and swap out the 1-4 PST with a 6-24 PST that I have sitting in a box waiting for a different build to be completed. She already shoots .74". I wonder if I could get it down to .5". Thanks for the idea. And yeah, your groups should get substantially better with practice. Based on what you said, you've never sat down at a bench and tried to put 5 shots inside a 1" or smaller hole. It's a little different than firing off multiple rounds as a milk jug! Please keep us posted on your progress.

Looks great. For being your first crack at an AR build, and first attempt at 100 yard grouping you did good.

That's a great rifle and ought to be a shooter. Both the rifle and groups are quite a step up from shooting jugs with an SKS. There is a video floating around on this site about the difference between shooting a semi-auto and a bolt action. Take a look at it as semi-autos have their peculiarities. With some practice and the right load you will be shooting under an inch before too soon. Good luck and keep us posted.

That is sweet. Where did you get this? Kreiger 18" fluted H-Bar .223 Wylde 1:7.7 twist. Right from Kreiger?