• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Photos Finished some .416 Barrett ammo today

Re: Finished some .416 Barrett ammo today

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dizz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very pretty </div></div>

Must also costs some "very pretty" pennies too with those Lehigh projos. Let us know how they perform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats that machine in the background? </div></div>
Its a Taig micro lathe that I've had for 20+ years with a deburring tool chucked in the jaws. Great for making small parts.

I love reload for my .223. haha I use like 25 grains max and you're loading 194 in one round! Now all you have to do is get out and shoot em!

even the brass price on those goes like 4 bucks a piece, plus projo powder and primer your at 7 per round at the least, last time I checked... really sad, because there are not many rounds with ballistics like that.

Its $6 a round new from Barrett and $3.25, give or take a little, a round to reload if you do it yourself.
You only think about the money when you're not pulling the trigger.
The other positive is that it makes my .308 seem really cheap to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willy510</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its $6 a round new from Barrett and $3.25, give or take a little, a round to reload if you do it yourself.
You only think about the money when you're not pulling the trigger.
The other positive is that it makes my .308 seem really cheap to shoot. </div></div>

LOL very true about the 308 and a good way of thinking of it. 189 grs of powder is unreal. Man...im sure its fun to shoot thought

Willy,
That is a very impressive pic. I can appreciate the effort, as I used to reload for a 338 Big Baer.

Nice bunch of fat little bastards. Good job.

That's just nasty.

As long as you divide out the brass price over the life of the cases the big magnums aren't horribly expensive to load for. IE 338LM, yeah its $2.50 a case for virgins, but if you divide that by 15 firings since the brass is so heavy duty you're only talking $0.16 per firing. Its just a big load to swallow when you have to buy the brass, after that hump though its all good.

Looks great. Only one comment would be why did you load up so many? I am constantly tweaking my .50 and usually don't take more than 20 to 30 with me to shoot. You must have that load pretty dialed in.

What rifle are you shooting, and how does that load group? Any pics? How does it chrono?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great. Only one comment would be why did you load up so many? I am constantly tweaking my .50 and usually don't take more than 20 to 30 with me to shoot. You must have that load pretty dialed in. </div></div>

I loaded these for my friends M82A1 and he's more interested in pulling the trigger and getting more comfortable with the rifle than collecting ballistic data right now and as long as I do the reloading work I get to shoot it all I want. I would have done a smaller run but my buddy wanted extra ammo for his nephew to shoot since he is going into basic training this month and we are planning on letting him have some fun with before he goes.
Hopefully the .50 that I ordered last year will be finished soon and I'm sure that I'll spend many trips to Coalinga tweaking the loads for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What rifle are you shooting, and how does that load group? Any pics? How does it chrono? </div></div>

Shooting a Barrett M82A1 and I'm hoping to get some data on it this week but I'm not sure if I'll get any chrono data this time.

Niiice. Look all that potential energy right there.

The ballistics data sets ive seen for .416 are just amazing.. what a pleasure it would be to put some down range!

Beautiful! I just ordered 100 once fired .416 brass from Barrett, and some Thunder Ammo 416 Grain Multibands, getting ready to load for my Noreen .416 Barrett. Still have to order the 1 1/2" press and some dies, any advice or resources you could share? Powders you have tried? RCBS vs. Hornady press? Primers? Thanks in advance!

I wonder if this ammmo will ever be reasonably prices? Like other manufactures reproducing it and giving barrett some compition on price. I have my M82 for 2 month now and cant even find ammo to buy . Im in CA anyone know where to get a box or 2?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: exssdru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beautiful! I just ordered 100 once fired .416 brass from Barrett, and some Thunder Ammo 416 Grain Multibands, getting ready to load for my Noreen .416 Barrett. Still have to order the 1 1/2" press and some dies, any advice or resources you could share? Powders you have tried? RCBS vs. Hornady press? Primers? Thanks in advance!

</div></div>

I'm using a RCBS Ammomaster2 press and Lee dies with CH4D adapter to make the Lee dies fit in the bigger press. If I were to do it again I would have gone with the Hornady press just because of the lock-n-load die system but its not that important just convenient for die changes. But with the deal I got on the RCBS I can't complain, It works really well and unless you plan on making 416 brass from 50 brass any of the 3 .50 cal presses will work.
I've only used Lehigh 416gr projectiles, US869 powder and #35 CCI primers in my loads. I don't plan on trying any other powders since US869 works well and you dont really have any choice for primers other than CCI #35's and projectiles are Lehigh or Thunder, I've not heard any thing bad about either. Imperial sizing wax and a RCBS Chargemaster should be on your shopping list too plus a ton of other things if you don't have them already,cleaners,primer uniformer,stainless tumbling media.
"Once you start shooting 338 and bigger you'd better have a well equipped shop or a well equipped wallet" That's the best quote I've seen about shooting big guns and I'd also add patience to that if you ever need any gun work done or tools made. I have the shop and my buddy has the wallet so it's a good combo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: two man attack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if this ammmo will ever be reasonably prices? Like other manufactures reproducing it and giving barrett some compition on price. I have my M82 for 2 month now and cant even find ammo to buy . Im in CA anyone know where to get a box or 2? </div></div>

Check out this post for new ammo.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=391572&highlight=barrett

Or get a hold of Ben Herrera - [email protected]
He is a licensed reloader in CA and can reload your 416 brass, he makes nice ammo and good prices

perfect thanks for the hint... I will contact him tomorrow. I have been looking all over for some ammo to shoot my new rifle.

How long did it take to do all 100 rounds?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: randian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long did it take to do all 100 rounds? </div></div>

I'd guess somewhere around 7-9 hours from old brass to new loads spread out over a few days. It could be done faster but I'd rather take my time especially since the consequences for errors can be pretty severe.
It takes a lot less time to fire it off, about 2 hours this time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: randian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long did it take to do all 100 rounds?</div></div>
After the first brass prep, the second loading takes half the time. The first brass prep is what takes all the time.

Thanks Willy510!