• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Finishes / Paint

Blackside

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2010
Houston, Tx.
Does anyone know about Teflone coating? And how well does it hold up. Wanting to paint my Rem OD green, but didnt want to go with Krylon for this one. Any ideas?

Re: Finishes / Paint

my rifle's action was teflon coated from factory, after only 100 rounds the finish is slightly worn in certain contact areas on the bolt. From what i hear duracoat is the way to go. Though ion bond sounds interesting and i would probably be inclined to try that if i was to get mine refinished.

Ionbond is the way to go on your bolt. It will still look new after 2500 cycles. It was originally developed to increase the life of drill bits. Cerakote will give you better performance than the other brands in every area. What I've been doing is having my action and or bolt ionbonded and then cerakote the exterior in the color of choice.

I have Duracoat on my guns and love it. Heard good stuff about Cerakote too though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ionbond is the way to go on your bolt. It will still look new after 2500 cycles. It was originally developed to increase the life of drill bits. Cerakote will give you better performance than the other brands in every area. What I've been doing is having my action and or bolt ionbonded and then cerakote the exterior in the color of choice. </div></div>

How does ionbond compare to Black Nitride?

Ionbond werd? Never heard of it. Is it a brand or a method of painting?

Would love to get a bolt painted that never fades with wear

I used the Brownells Teflon Molly coat and it came off with blue painters tape after it was cured. Nothing sticks to Teflon and Teflon doesn't stick to anything. Use KG Gun kote or Cerekote.

Here are some FAQ sheets on ionbond finish. From the faqs the finish is about 2 microns thick which isn't much at all making it great for finishing parts that have a tight fit. I haven't dealt with the stuff myself but from what I have heard it's a very resilient finish. I am having Todd at Phantom finishing Ionbond my bolt. I'll post pictures when it comes back.

www.springerprecision.com/art/DiamondBLACKSpecs.pdf

www.springerprecision.com/art/CRCSpecs.pdf

I sent my rifle to Birdsong and it should be back in a few days. There are quite a few threads on here about Birdsong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried birdsongs Black-T coating?
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried birdsongs Black-T coating?
</div></div>
Sure - I have a Tac Ops X-Ray 51 coated in contrasting <span style="font-style: italic">"Tac Ops OD"</span> Green-T and Black-T, as well as a Sig P228 coated in <span style="font-style: italic">Naval Special Warfare Green-T</span>. While both are green, the Tac Ops OD Green-T is more green, and Naval Special Warfare (NSW) has brown in it. The NSW looks green, but when viewed next to Tac Ops OD Green-T it is easy to tell the difference between the two.

Lots, and I do mean <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">lots</span></span> - of alphabet agencies have their weapons coated in Black-T and/or one of the other <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Birdsong Finishes</span></span>. Birdsong finishes are used exclusively by Tac Ops (aka Tactical Operations), and Tac Ops alone has supplied more than 600 agencies, departments, and Teams alone. Some if these include the LASD SEB, Hawaii SSD, USDOE, USSSD, Navy Seals, and RCMP.

Another thing that is really cool about Birdsong finishes is that that are applied very thin - only .0002-.0003" (thats' 2-3 10,000ths' of an inch), which is about 1/10th as thick as most other teflon/polymer finishes are applied. Because Birdsong finishes are so thin, slick, and stick so well they are applied to every part, both inside and out. Even the tiniest springs and screws are coated, further helping to prevent corrosion. Birdsong finishing includes complete disassembly, prep, coating, and re-assembly.

Click on the hyperlink two paragraphs above for more of my photos and info on Birdsong finishes. Click on <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">W.E. Birdsong & Associates</span></span> to go to Birdsong's web site.

Below are a few Tac Ops rifles finished in Tac Ops traditional contrasting Green-T and Black-T finishes. The Tango 51 is an older rifle with darker Green-T. BTW, all engraving is done the old-fashioned way with a hammer and chisel. The custom engravings done on some of the floorplates are just insanely detailed and well-executed.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops X-Ray 51 finished in "Tac Ops OD" Green-T & Black-T:</span></span>
X-Ray51CBwODRingsRS45Angle28x6.jpg

X-Ray51CBwODRingsRSProfileFF8x6.jpg

TOEngravedLogo18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops Green Hornet .22 with integrally-suppressed barrel finished in "Naval Special Warfare" Green-T & Black-T:</span></span>
GreenHornetISRSA8x6.jpg

GreenHornetISRS8x6.jpg

GreenHornetTacticalOperationsEngraving18x6.jpg

GreenHornetSafetyCU18x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Older (12+ years) Tac Ops Tango 51 finished in "Tac Ops OD" Green-T & Black-T:</span></span>
Tango51RRA8x6.jpg

Tango51RS8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Sig Sauer P228 finished in "Naval Special Warfare" Green-T & Black-T:</span></span>:
BlackGreen-T228LS8x6.jpg

Keith