• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Fiocchi 77 SMK

Flynn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2010
Idaho
I searched for a review, but didn't find anything helpful. My OBR 5.56 loves the SSA MK 262 clone (.75 moa) and I'm having trouble finding more.

Soooo, my rifle like 77 grain SMK bullets (big surprise). The Black Hills load I used is underpowered and wont lock my bolt back after the last round. I'm looking for other factory loads using the 77 SMK. What's the scoop on the Fiocchi load in 77 SMK?

I've never used Fiocchi ammo before and wanted to get some feedback before buying a couple hundred rounds...

Re: Fiocchi 77 SMK

before i started handloading this was the ONLY match .223 I ran through my rifle and it loved it.

made hits at 975 yards with this ammo! very accurate and reliable just expensive.

Never used Fiocchi but check out Southwest ammo here on the hide. They make 77gr 5.56 and .223

Yeah, the SSA 77 gr seems to be back ordered until well, almost forever (LOL). I have a rifle that likes it very well also.

Your issue may be that the SSA is a 5.56 round, whereas the BH is .223. SSA advertises 2750 fps out of a 16" pipe for that ammo, which likely means it's running 5.56 pressures that can be higher than some factory .223 loads (62,300 vs 55,000). So it's possible that you might have the same issue with other factory 77 gr .223 loads as well. Have you thought about trying the Hornady Superformance 75 BTHP? Just a thought.

Otherwise, you could possibly try a box of FGMM, Remington, or CorBon, each of which load 77 gr SMKs for their factory match ammo. However, the factory MVs for each of these are all pretty close, so they may all seem "underpowered" relative the the SSA. Forgive my ignorance (all my 5.56s are piston guns), but does your OBR have a gas adjustment? If yes, that may help with the bolt issue.

Other than the bolt not locking back, I also encountered vertical stringing with the Black Hills. I think I had a bad lot...I thought of trying the superperformace, but this rifle didn't shoot 75 grain bullets as well as it did the 77's

I had the same issue, my Sig DMR just didn't care for the Hornady 75 gr BTHP like it did with 69 or 77 gr SMKs. They're a little pricey, but in my hands, CorBon ammo in both .223 and .308 seems to be loaded a tad hotter than BH, FGMM, or some of the other factory loads I've tried.