• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fire forming brass help

CZp-01

i dindu nuffin
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2018
S.E. Mass
What is the proper way to fire form rifle brass? If there is one?

Bought a Impact action and a Stuteville barrel. I would like to get the most out of the barrel, brass and it's accuracy.

I have 200 pieces of new Lapua 6.5CM brass. Using 140 Eldm bullets, CCi Lg primers & H4350.

Any links or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Depends on what kind of brass you are trying to fire-form out of that 6.5 CM.
Just looking to fire form to the chamber. I've always just shot it. Didn't know if there was a special way to fire form it the chamber? Might be over thinking it. 🤷‍♂️

Your not "reforming" a casing to the chamber right? Your forming 6.5CM to YOUR creedmoor chamber. Like said, just shoot it.

Some would be asking "neck size or full length size"?

That's a whole different thread.

Your not "reforming" a casing to the chamber right? Your forming 6.5CM to YOUR creedmoor chamber. Like said, just shoot it.

Some would be asking "neck size or full length size"?

That's a whole different thread.
No, Yes, just to my chamber.

Ill do a real light load development in .3 increments after getting it zeroed and make sure the load for the other 150 rounds isnt crap.

Reactions: CZp-01
CZ the easy answer as pointed out above, just shoot it. I'm making the assumption you are referring to shooting same caliber brass in a barrel chambered for same caliber as the virgin brass.

I'll over think it for you. Are you full length or neck sizing only? Are you marking or using a method to index your brass? How good are you're reloading skills? How much and after how many shots are you bumping your shoulders. Are you planning to anneal your brass? How are your shooting fundamentals?
Is your chamber cut to min, max or right in the middle of SAAMI specs?

I'd venture to guess in most cases these variables overcome the benefits or just flat out eliminate the need to be concerned about fire forming.

Depends on what kind of brass you are trying to fire-form out of that 6.5 CM.

There are two kinds of Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass: one has large primer pockets and the other small. How does it depend? Right primer in the right pocket?

There are two kinds of Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass: one has large primer pockets and the other small. How does it depend? Right primer in the right pocket?
Fireform has two meanings and OP did not specify what his chamber was so we did not know if he was asking about fireforming virgin brass to his chamber or if he was trying to fireform 6.5 creedmoor brass into a different chamber, like how people take 6 BR brass and fireform it to 6 Dasher or 6 BRA, the procedure can vary depending on the end goal with regards to wildcatting. People don't typically wildcat 6.5 creedmoor but you never know without asking.

As we see now, OP clarified after the post you quoted that he is just fireforming virgin brass to his chamber.

Remember when people said fire forming and it meant to form a parent case to make wildcat , AI, or something of the like.

Reactions: 1moaoff
Thanks for the replies!

My apologies for not being clear in the post creating some confusion and disturbance in the air... Appearently, my thoughts don't come out that well through text form.

CZ the easy answer as pointed out above, just shoot it. I'm making the assumption you are referring to shooting same caliber brass in a barrel chambered for same caliber as the virgin brass.

I'll over think it for you. Are you full length or neck sizing only? Are you marking or using a method to index your brass? How good are you're reloading skills? How much and after how many shots are you bumping your shoulders. Are you planning to anneal your brass? How are your shooting fundamentals?
Is your chamber cut to min, max or right in the middle of SAAMI specs?

I'd venture to guess in most cases these variables overcome the benefits or just flat out eliminate the need to be concerned about fire forming.
I FL size every time and bump the shoulder .002. I'll fire virgin brass once if it chambers I'll fire it again then bump the shoulder and Everytime there after.

I've reloading for a handful of years self taught. Most of what I've learned has come from digging through forums reading or watching videos. I would say I'm knowledgeable at what I'm doing. If I don't know or don't quite understand I ask.

I will anneal the brass on a Annealeez prob after two-three firings.

I'm a OK shooter I have my good days and bad days. I try to continue to educate myself as much as possible. Drives the wife crazy at times. "The obsession to be good with all the videos being watched"

I'm using a prefit barrel w/ a .199 freebore .296 neck dia.

I've never had a mentor in reloading or shooting. Nobody to kind of show me the way. So, I just have to do the best I can with what I have.

Remember when people said fire forming and it meant to form a parent case to make wildcat , AI, or something of the like.

I remember. Just that when he said he bought a plug and play combo and 6.5 CM components I assumed he meant to plug and play.