• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fire forming ?

butcher307

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2008
Cody Wyoming
I just bought a 280 ackley, I went out with some 280 ammo and fire formed it. I have experienced what looks like case head separation can this be caused by fire forming? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The gun is still holding 1 inch accuracy at 100 yards with regular factory 150 grain federal ammo.

Re: Fire forming ?

Your head spacing might be the issue. When I had my 280AI built, I bought some factory 280 ammmo. At the advice of my smith, I used an inertia hammer type bullet puller to "pull" the bullet out so it would jam into the lands (semi hard to close the bolt on a round), thereby insuring that the casehead was tight to the bolt face. IF your headspace chambering is not too long, the brass should fireform without problems. If you suspect excessive headspace, have your smith check it out. I had a chamber cast made and bought the actual cast to take to my smith to see (5 hrs. away)so any measuring mistake would not be an issue. Get it checked BEFORE you have a kaboom problem! BTW....get some Nosler brass. Expensive.....worth it....

my .02
Good luck

Thanks I have 100 nosler brass on the way. This is my first time fire forming so I may be doing it wrong I just went off what I have read thanks for the info

If we 'fireform' with reduced pressure loads we will have to fire it again with normal loads to get it fire formed. ??

What is the pressure ring could this be what I am seeing in my brass like I said I am new at fire forming thanks for all the info