• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firearm insurance

Re: Firearm insurance

I've looked into it. To add it to my Homeowners was going to cost me a ton. It was cheaper to go through the NRA. They have two different rates. One is for firearms you don't shoot/collectibles and the other for guns you use. The NRA seemed to be the way to go... Stolen from your house/car, fire, even if you drop a rifle in the river while you're hunting, you're covered.

The other thing was my HO wanted serial numbers and pictures. While I think that's good info to have, I don't think they need it until something happens. The NRA only wanted a serial number if the firearm was valued at $10,000 or more. If you had one over $2500 (IIRC) they just wanted to know but didn't need a SN.

I might be a little off on some of the numbers but I'm pretty close. My problem was the ins. co. the NRA uses/refers you to wants an annual premium. I'd really prefer monthly instead of having a large bill looming over my head all year.

collectibles insurance

I use these guys. They seem pretty well-organized. No serial numbers or appraisals needed unless the firearm is worth more than $5G's. Then only the serial number is taken. It's up to you to prove value, by pictures and comparables or build sheets, etc.

Way, way cheaper than State Farm and NRA--then again, I've never had to make a claim, either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LUNCHBOX0621</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it have to be appraised? how do they estimate the value? </div></div>

Honestly, I can't remember. When I called the number and talked to the rep she gave me the rates. I have an old post about it I'll try to find. IIRC it was $X.XX/$1000 of coverage. The amount for the shooters was higher then the collectors. Let me search for a minute and I'll see if I can find my post.

Edit: I've looked through my old posts that are available and can't find it. If you're a member of the NRA, look on the back of your card. I think there was a phone number for insurance. If not, try their main 800 # and they can put you in touch with the CO. In the case of modern firearms I think it was replacement value. As far as the collectible, older, family heirloom type stuff I can't remember how the value worked.