• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firearms Appraisal Suggestions

bnamhill

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
What is the best way/place/source to determine the value of a firearm? I have a couple of older guns I would like to know the value.

Thank you in advance.

mh

There are several ways.
1) the various books out there, like the Blue Book of Gun Values
2) The online action sites in the already sold section. Not what they are currently asking in an action.
3) a good dealer that will tell you what he would sell it for. That would not be what he would buy it for though.
Remember, condition is everything. Though how rare it is, might trump that.

The above listed ways are good, but just keep in mind when reading a book like the Blue Book of Gun Values the actual condition. I have seen many people who think that they have a perfect condition firearms, when in truth they have a 70% condition firearm. Additionally those avenues, as just about every buyer, cares less about the story of the firearm and do not care about sentimental value. Also something is only really worth what another person will pay for it.

GunBroker gives you real-time value (the current market). Pictures can show you the condition (not always correctly stated). BlueBook has some good historical info, but I stopped referencing them for values back in the '90s.

do your research on GB like the above posters suggest. you can also look at the classifieds sections of whatever enthusiast websites fit the particular style/model of the weapon in question- looking for sold items. you could also just post on those enthusiasts sites and i think you'll get a no BS answer. if you asked here about selling a GAP, Surgeon, AI, etc...you'd get a pretty accurate number.