• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firearms that convert gas pressure into stored mechanical energy?

KZP

P.L.O.
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2017
NC
Was wondering if any oddball firearms exist that uses gas pressure to store mechanical energy to the cycle the round at some future point base on input from the user.

Example: Fire round, strong spring is cocked backwards using gas, user presses small button, spring releases energy causing a mechanism to extract casing and load new round into chamber.

Daydreaming about having a rifle that doesn't cycle the action unless the trigger is released after firing.

From an engineering aspect that would be a very difficult firearm to develop into something that works and is safe. How would one handle the scenario in which the trigger is pressed then the user decides not to shoot?

From a commercial aspect, it seems to be the answer to a question that nobody asked.

I'm going to say no.

Would this be to reduce the sound of the action cycling and enhance the purpose of your can?

Military had no cycling actions on some semi-autos for that purpose but no energy was stored to cycle the action at a later time.

About the closest you’re likely to get is what we have down here instead of semi-auto’s, a “lever release” action. It’s essentially a semi auto, but instead of fully cycling a round, the action opens, extracts and ejects as per normal but then locks open. To chamber the next round you need to release the trigger and push the “lever release” (sometimes just a button, sometimes an actual lever…)

eg, the savage a22 is a semi auto .22lr - not allowed down here in oz (far too scary) so we get the a22r which is essentially the same action with a few extra bits to prevent semi auto functioning

An acquaintance has a 22lr semi that will not cycle the bolt until the trigger is released. It’s been a while since I’ve seen it, so it may very well be that the bolt opens once the round is fired and only closes once the trigger is released. No idea who made it. It struck me a strange concept.

From an engineering aspect that would be a very difficult firearm to develop into something that works and is safe. How would one handle the scenario in which the trigger is pressed then the user decides not to shoot?

From a commercial aspect, it seems to be the answer to a question that nobody asked.

I'm going to say no.

The trigger press would fire the weapon, the release would cycle the action. Assume it's a single stage trigger for now. Pulling the trigger will not create a limbo mode.

A better way to describe what I'm thinking is a bolt action that cycles itself after the firing sequence is completely finished, post recoil. But it doesn't have to be a Rem 700 action, could be an AR-10 or other semi auto platform that recovers energy from the firing.

I'm sure it's not needed in the world, but I'm having fun thinking about how it could work.

Doesn’t an open bolt weapon essentially accomplish that?
With a fixed firing pin. Don’t know what the proper terms are or much about it

Not quite. I'm trying to describe an action that doesn't extract/reload until after the firing sequence is complete, post recoil and bullet leaving the barrel.

A better way to describe what I'm thinking is a bolt action that cycles itself after the firing sequence is completely finished, post recoil.

What problem does this solve?

That's the first question I ask when someone proposes a new idea.

Reactions: KZP
What problem does this solve?

That's the first question I ask when someone proposes a new idea.

When I load rounds that would be fine in a bolt action they are not useable in a semi auto format like an AR-10. Rims start to get bent on extraction, ejector swipe etc. Also noticed if I keep my gas port closed it's easier to get consistent accuracy & slight velocity boost.

Still silly. You would have the same problem with your theoretical action, just delayed.

Maybe don't drill a gas hole or get a gas adjust that can be fully occluded.. manually cycle

Shouldn't the problem go away because the action is cycling post pressure?

Holy Guac GIF - Adult Swim Steve Brule Wow - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha
Reactions: Ledzep and KZP