• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firing hand grip

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
Hey all, quick question.

I watched shlowlight’s video on firing hand grip, specifically the part about rearward pressure from the firing hand grip.

In no way am I doubting his experience, but I am having a hard time applying rearward pressure and remaining “stable”. I find that applying pressure to the grip rearwards, I get more “shaky”. I have a hard time keeping the reticle cemented on the target.

What am I missing here? What am I doing wrong?

How hard are you pulling rearward? @velayo_0317 describes it as just with pressure to deform a cheap disposable water bottle, but not so much that it won’t return to its original shape.

Lowlight was saying the same amount of pressure the rifle weighs… 15 lb rifle, 15lbs of rear pressure. 10lb rifle, 10lbs rearward pressure.

It seems like a lot. Just trying to clear it up. Reassessing my form. I find my muscles getting tired with that amount of pressure causing me to shake (I’m 34yo in excellent shape fwiw).

I tested the grip style myself by varying pull.

With semis you need the pull, even with small frames, but not necessarily as much as the rifle weights.

I used to pull quite hard but now I am focusing to be more relaxed. Like I was going to stay there all day (which I sometimes am).

You definitely need to just try it out yourself and I think that POA returning to POI is a sign that your management works.(rifle is not cutting loose from the shoulder, semis do it after the bolt goes home, bolt guns with recoil induced bumb)

With my friends rifle I do not always get it to return but it stays consistent, say 2mil to left. Some of this may result from tilted position too. But I rather not change it during a group.

I short, decide how much you need the pull from the poa change.

What muscles are you using to maintain the pressure?

Hand/finger grip only?
Hand and forearm?
Locked hand and bicep?

Try each one out and you'll see which is correct.

Hint: Frank tells you in his videos.

I also want to point out that the position height determines some of the angle your elbow goes in.

The position of your elbow determines some of the muscles you use to pull the rifle, along many other things.

Hey all, quick question.

I watched shlowlight’s video on firing hand grip, specifically the part about rearward pressure from the firing hand grip.

In no way am I doubting his experience, but I am having a hard time applying rearward pressure and remaining “stable”. I find that applying pressure to the grip rearwards, I get more “shaky”. I have a hard time keeping the reticle cemented on the target.

What am I missing here? What am I doing wrong?
I too have tried and tried to exert the weight of the rifle as the rearward pressure...or even just approaching it...and have not experienced any luck with it. I seem to shoot worse.

Now, I'm a small guy with small hands. I do take the slack out of the bipod ("load" the bipod) and I do ensure that the butt pad is firmly against my shoulder....but my rifle is in the 22-24 lb range and there is no way that I have yet found to exert that much rearward pressure without ending up putting too much "muscle" or influence into the rifle and effecting POI.

I'm back up to PA for a four day clinic with Frank/Marc end of Sep so perhaps I'm just not doing it right and they will school me.

"I'm back up to PA for a four day clinic with Frank/Marc end of Sep so perhaps I'm just not doing it right and they will school me."

^^^THIS^^^

See you there.

• Love
Reactions: Baron23
I have found that putting vertical grips on all my precision rifles (e.g., those which were never intended to be fired offhand) and putting my thumb on the rest provided (by MDT ACC and MPA BA Comp chassis) makes pulling the rifle in and keeping the crosshair locked on target easier.

It doesn't seem like this "rearward pressure" thing would be difficult or make much difference. But it does. I've also learned from experience that .22s are more sensitive to grip pressure and that sort of thing than centerfires because of the long dwell time - a twitch or spasm or whatever that an inexperienced shooter wouldn't even notice throws a "flier."

Anyway. The vertical grips are a "must have" for me, and it feels weird when I shoot something with an AR-style grip and can't figure out where to put my thumb.

Practice dry firing and add pressure until your reticle doesn’t move from the snap.

Reactions: Sogan