• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing First 1911 Build

Waorani

Crusty Caballero
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Greenbow, AL
Picked up the Caspian frame probably 10 years ago and started fitting the beavertail but lost interest. Lots more how-to videos today so dug it out and got back on it this week. Sights are just some old ones I stuck on for now. Still some polising and detail work to do but runs fine on 230 ball. Can't remember who made the slide so holler if you recognize it. Long way from high end, but I certainly have a lot more appreciation now for why custom 1911s cost so much.

IMG_0191.jpg
IMG_0192.jpg

Reactions: PBWalsh
Looks nice! A little more work around the Grip Safety and maybe the back end. What barrel did you put in it?

The slide sorta looks like a S&W but I didn't think you could buy just the slide.

It’s a caspian slide, same set i built one on, ground up building a 1911 is a real pain in the dick don’t ever want to do another

Attachments

• 7EB2589E-FC0A-4266-BCC0-150B514DDD58.jpeg
    7EB2589E-FC0A-4266-BCC0-150B514DDD58.jpeg
    471.1 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: 702lineman
I've got several 1911s but am into tinkering so thought building one might be fun. A lot more work than I thought though. Don't remember buying Caspian slide but sure looks yours. The grip safety is so close when squeezed I'll probably leave well enough alone. Fitting the rear tangs to the beavertail was enough fun for a while. I may work on the mainspring housing a bit. I really didn't notice it could use some contouring until looking at the pics.

Storm Lake barrel.

Last edited:
Whats the screw at the back of the slide, right side?

Not familiar with that detail on typical internal tunnel extractor 1911s.

Nice looking build.

Whats the screw at the back of the slide, right side? Not familiar with that detail on typical internal tunnel extractor 1911s. Nice looking build.

Series 80 slide but w/ external extractor so screw retains FP plunger/block (not installed). Probably not a slide I'd buy today but good enough for this project.

Reactions: pmclaine
Im pretty sure that's a Caspian overrun slide for a Sig contract.

Did some digging based on that and came up w/ this bit of history - https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/a-whole-bunch-of-caspian-xr-stuff.81555/

Looks like slide/frame was available as a kit from parts initially produced for the Sig GSR. I didn't buy kit but remember buying the Recon frame direct from Caspian and vaguely remember getting slide off Gunbroker. Small parts were from Brownells and a Wilson beavertail. Probably would have been easier to have bought a kit if I'd known they existed. Railed frame was an interesting novelty for me in the day but wouldn't get it again.

Yup. Fitting up a beavertail it a bitch, especially on "GI" style frames that don't have a radius cut on those tangs.

Overall looks like you did good job for a first time. Now show us your targets!

BTW Berry's plated 185 grain Hollow-base, round nose bullets are exceptionally accurate and you can load them to about 1000-1100 fps. I think I was using 5.7 grains of Win231 to get in that area.

Good choice in Storm Lake barrel! Was it a "pre-fit" or hard fit?

Used Wilson jig to get tang radius close, then file/sand/dykem/repeat. SL barrel was "drop in" but did require a little fitting on hood length.