• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns First 1911 (Updated with range report, pics)

Equitum

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I picked up this Parkerized Loaded Springfield, my first 1911 and first handgun, a few weeks ago after a few weeks of research (i.e. looking at forums and reviews), but I've been so busy with everything I haven't gotten the opportunity to take pics or even shoot it yet until today. I'm going to go to the local gun range sometime this week, but I thought I would go ahead and post some pics I just got to take. After I come back from the range, ill put up a range report.

35iapnc.jpg

348kfp4.jpg

I just thought I'd share my early Christmas gift to myself with you guys
laugh.gif
. Anyone have comments, suggestions, or advice for a first-time 1911 owner?

Re: First 1911

Great choice! I love the SA Loaded models. I've got a LW Operator that's been a solid pistol for me since I bought it in 2010. The only upgrade that I've done thus far is getting some G10 grips. Merry (early) Christmas to you!

Yep...excellent choice...Heres a couple of tips for u, put a good polish job on ur sear engagement, change your mainspring to a 19lb wolff and your recoil spring to a 14 or 16 lb wolff. It will help your trigger be a little better and smoother and if your shooting white box or equivalant ammo, it will shoot a little better. Shoot and enjoy your new Sringfield.

Very nice! I hadn't considered a Springfield 1911. Have a basic Kimber 1911 full size that is one of my favorite to shoot. My guess you'll love yours.

What a nice present to yourself . . . JaxOps

Nice looking gun. I bought a Kimber 1911 after shooting one at a range one time. I absolutely love mine and so has everyone that shot it. I'm sure you will find the same with yours. Enjoy!

Here's the results from my first trip to the range (finally). 0 FTE, 0 FTF, thankfully, with 100 rounds down the barrel. However, the WWB got my gun pretty dirty... Are the bushing and guide rod supposed to be that dirty after 100 rounds? Ill throw up some pics before I clean and lube.

Here's the targets, in chronological order:
2j10mx3.jpg

4nvqf.jpg

2qjzrd3.jpg

Any diagnoses on my shooting? So far, all I know is the gun is a blast to shoot, and shoots much better than I do. I'm going to clean and lube and put another 100 rounds through sometime after Christmas. Looking forward to more range time
laugh.gif

Edit: More pics, of the bushing, guide rod area. Regular dirty?
108h7kj.jpg

30kuem9.jpg

grip and a little anticipation

your probably overgripping with right hand, that is assuming your a right handed shooter

To deal with anticipation and overgrip, I've heard you have a friend load some snap caps in with live rounds at the range and diagnose how you react with the snap caps. Does that seem like it would be a good idea? Otherwise, will most of that just buff out with more practice?

Thanks for the quick reply, BigJoe!

Yup, it gets that dirty after 100 rounds. I've put about 400 more rounds through mine without cleaning. Now, I haven't tortured my 1911 like I have my Glocks, but don't be scared to run them too dirty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup, it gets that dirty after 100 rounds. I've put about 400 more rounds through mine without cleaning. Now, I haven't tortured my 1911 like I have my Glocks, but don't be scared to run them too dirty.</div></div>
Okay, thanks for assuaging my worries! Ill probably just clean what I can reach without field stripping, and reapply some lube where I clean and maybe put a dab of grease on either rail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What distance were you shooting at?</div></div>
~21 feet, according to the signage on the range.

Dirty is GOOD!

If you really want to see dirty, try some Remington UMC ammo ... stuff is filthy!

I bet Winchester white box would give you a run for your money with which is dirtier.That stuff is horrendous

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leprechaun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet Winchester white box would give you a run for your money with which is dirtier.That stuff is horrendous </div></div>

I've still got a box of 100 of WWB- after that, I'll try some other 230gr. FMJ round and compare

Any suggestions?

Remington UMC lol, just put a box of 500 through my new colt RG between 2 range trips (roughly 250 each time) and front of the slide was completely caked with carbon both times. still functioned great and cleaned right up later that night. I always clean after I shoot so its a non issue for me. The UMC was fairly accurate as well, more accurate than I thought it would be anyway.

Keep and eye on the guide rod as it will back off with a lot of shooting. I changed mine over the a GI set up to eliminate this and to allow toolless takedown. Also got rid of the locking MSH a titanium firing pin. Did not really improve the trigger pull, as mine came with a great trigger pull from the factory. Just like to keep it closer to JMB's original design. Great guns with a superior factory warranty. Enjoy.

I was just fixing to say that. The 2 piece guide rods will back off sometimes, i always change mine over to the normal recoil spring plug this way if your at the range and need to take down the slide for any reason no tools nessasary.

But oh yea that is a nice gun i had one in stainless for a while great shooter.

If I start having any problems with the factory 2-piece rod, I'm going to replace it, but until then, it doesn't bother me since I carry a multi-tool, Allen wrench, etc. in my range bag already.

I'm ordering some Federal +P 230gr. HST and some Federal AE 230 gr. FMJ to test out some more ammo- if the AE runs any better or cleaner, I can get it a little cheaper, and if the HST feeds well, I'll keep a box of that around as my self-defence ammo.

I really like remington golden saber as carry ammo in 1911's for the simple reason it has a more rounded nose than alot of hollow points do. The pro to this is unless you have a ramped barrel like STI or para comes with sometimes the blunter hollow point can jam on the edge of the throat of barrel. Not usually a big issue but may run into it from time to time.

Congrats and good shooting! Something about a 1911. I just recently bought a TRP and was thoroughly impressed with the case it came with. It looks like yours is the same one. Considering they're factory, those are SERIOUSLY nice cases! Enjoy.

Oh, I second what sageebr said about Golden Saber ammo and 1911's.