• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First .308 semi-auto

Jplum2248

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2020
Looking first shot at a semi auto .308. Top 2 choices so far are sig 716 and Springfield victor saint. Looking at a combination close range and out to long range. Not waiting to build at this point and would like to stay under $1500.

I’ve heard good things about the sig as a “Blaster”. If the 1500 budget can go up to 2k, I’d definitely consider a LMT MWS.

It's going to be hard to find a $1,500 large frame AR that can hold minute of angle out to distance. I'd consider waiting or doing some spring cleaning and get up to the $2,000 budget for a Seekins SP-10, Daniel Defense, or POF Revolution. There was an everyday sniper podcast where he was talking about a LEO dept that was using POF Revolutions and holding sub-minute accuracy out to 600 yds, which if that's true is amazing.

i can burn through a couple hundred bucks of ammo in an afternoon, just saying.

Man POF prices have come down. I've got a POF edge 18". It runs like a top, shoots just under 1" with handloads, and weights in at 9.2 lbs with scope. For 1600 that's a screaming deal!

ok,i'll add to the questions. my situation is same as OP's. $1500 maybe a little more but nowhere near a daniel or KAC. seekins and larue still > 2K. the POF is very attractive due to weight. it would be able to do 3 "jobs" defense,hunting,target (300yd). the affordable model @ cent fl is OOS-not a surprise. PSA,even gen 3,seems to get no love here. have the gen 3s been shown to have problems? i know parts interchange is a problem as parts are allegedly proprietary. there are a bunch of other brands any inpt on any of them? BTW a bunch of AR10s are out of stock. part of the latest panic i guess.

I’ve found that the kicker is happily squeezing off rounds after your build. That’s when the prices really add up haha.

I'd suggest the 20" PSA Gen-3 PA-10 M-Lok; but they're all sold out.

Guess they were popular. Mine sure is with me.

Mine looks a bit different; it's been dressed a bit:

PSA 2-Stage Trigger
Magpul BAD lever
Choate E-2 Stock
PSA A-2 Buffer Tube
J-P Captured Silent 308 Buffer Kit
Leapers Recon Flex M-Lok Bipod
Jerry Michulek Brake
Choate A-2 Butt Extension
Limbsaver Slip-On Recoil Pad (mainly for added LOP; I'm 6' 5+" Tall)
Bushnell AR Drop Zone BDC 308 Scope
Monstrum Slim Profile Series Offset Cantilever Picatinny Scope Mount, 1 inch Diameter
7.62x51 NATO (.308 Winchester) PMAG LR/SR GEN M3 Magazines complete the ensemble.

These are (mostly) not top shelf components; but they are affordable and serve the purpose well enough for the likes of me. The PSA isn't top notch either; but it's affordable and serves as a good armature to build upon. The mods are not especially difficult to manage (if I can do them, most folks can). The most sophisticated tool I used was a punch.

I'm currently working up handloads using the Speer 168gr Gold Dot bullet.

Greg

Last edited:
"It's going to be hard to find a $1,500 large frame AR that can hold minute of angle out to distance" LOL

I have two LaRues that shoot 1/2 MOA with factory ammo. I have shot it out to 1500 yards at a Todd Hodnett class

My CMMG 12" 308 pistol shoots 3/4 with factory ammo, but I have not shot that at long distance

Last edited:
....POF is very attractive due to weight. it would be able to do 3 "jobs" defense,hunting,target (300yd)....

I'm not sure why POF gets so much hate. It looks like they get the same love Kimber goes for 1911s.

I've got a 18" 308 edge that holds just under 1 MOA out to 500, furthest I've shot it so far. Its not their lightest now at 8.5 lbs dry and just under 10 with scope and full magazine. But it'll shoot anything I feed it. It favors 168 smks being an 18" 1/10 barrel.

I just purchased my POF Revolution DI two weeks ago (hunting/defense/target in that order) and have had it at the range twice. A bit more kick than my AR15 shooting .223 but completely manageable and far less muzzle deflection thanks to the muzzle brake. I can get back on target much more quickly with it. And it's actually lighter than my AR15 by almost a pound (ammo not withstanding!). Really well made, all the controls work effortlessly and the overall quality is really top notch. I prefer it far more over the little guy but ammo is easily double the cost.

I'm still in the dial in, initial shooting phase and haven't even begun to figure out a hunting or target cartridge. Will be developing my own load once I get through all the PMC Bronze I purchased but will most likely experiment with a bunch of different factory ammo first just to get an idea on which direction to head.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another POF if they offered something I was looking for.