• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First .338LM Build

pjm204

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2013
Philadelphia
I recently decided to sell off my .50bmg and downsize to a .338LM. So on Friday I pick up my Savage 110FCP. I'm pretty excited and in the week I've been on this forum I have already learned a ton, bought a scope (NF NXS 5.5-22x50), and some .338 ammo. I'm waiting "patiently" for my XLR Tactical chassis to arrive. But until then the plan is to head out to the nearest 1000 yard range (208 miles away) and start working my way up.

Pics when I get everything.

Should I preemptively order a different rail or is the EGW rail that comes with it acceptable?

I have no ordered a bipod yet but have pretty much decided on the Atlas. But I am going to hold off until I get the XLR so I don't need to buy 2 different mounts.

Lastly, is there any market for the HS stock that comes with it? I won't have much need for it once the chassis arrives.

Thanks

I've been shopping around and found stocks on eBay seem to be getting bid up to surprisingly high prices. I would think that there would definitely be a market for a long action Savage HS stock.

I am doing the same thing and nearing completion, and would also be interested in people's opinions on the stock EGW rail.

As far as the stock, I wondered the same thing so threw mine up on ARFcom (no minimum post limit there) for $350 which I figured was a decent price because as the stock is worth more than that I didn't think there was much of a market. I got an offer the next day and a money order 3 days later. Never thought to check Ebay as I really didn't think it would sell that fast and I had another 4-5 months before my McMillan shipped so I wasn't in a hurry.

Another bipod to look at is the LRA's, I have them a on couple XLRs, work great! seems better for the larger barrel,weight.

Good luck with the build!

Awesome this is good news on the stock. I had a little shell shock at how much this rifle was costing me. But I just kept on researching and realizing I wanted something good.

I will check out the LRA bipod

I switched my HS stock on my Savage .338 LM and it sold in less than a week and I had about 3-4 guys interested in 48 hours. Sold mine for $300.00 plus shipping.

You won't have a problem selling the stock. Price it fair $300-350 and it should be gone in 2 weeks max. I would guess more like 5 days max.

PJM204 I also purchased that Savage and an XLR from Kyle in Co. The rifle is a dream and chassis from Kyle top notch.The only issue was the factory scope rail(too long).
Cut it back, a little black touch up and its a very happy assembly. I think you are going to really like it!.
Mark