• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Ammo to Try in my Rem. 700 SPS AAC-SD .308

danierc

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2012
Texas
I've heard that the Lapua 155 gr. Scenar round is one of the best as well as any of the 168 gr. match ammo...
What are some of y'alls opinions and actual field experience?

Sidenote: I am looking for the best long range round... 400-500+

Re: First Ammo to Try in my Rem. 700 SPS AAC-SD .308

Don't go buy what you "hear". Buy different ammo and let your rifle tell you what it likes to shoot. Each round has its own pro's and con's so the best answer is try different ammo and let the rifle dictate which one it will shoot best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't go buy what you "hear". Buy different ammo and let your rifle tell you what it likes to shoot. Each round has its own pro's and con's so the best answer is try different ammo and let the rifle dictate which one it will shoot best. </div></div>

Thanks Mike!

I plan on trying different rounds...Just wondering if there was a good place to start from someone with a similiar rifle (20" barrel and 1 in 10 twist).

168 FGMM does well in a variety of rifles. I roll my own, but have tried some in both my 308's and was surprised at the accuracy. They were both 1:12 but one 20" the other was 26" at the time.

Like Mike said, try different combinations of bullets etc.

Here is our standard run ammo for 308 that does really well. Copper Creek Ammo

We can also do different bullets depending on what you want.

I'd try the FGMM with 175 match kings first personally. Its a known quantity as far as the ammo's performance, so youll be getting more of an indication of the rifle itself You can take that bullet out further than the 168 match king due to different bullet designs.

I run a variety of bullets through my mine, but the 175 grain class of bullets has been the best overall for me so far.

We used the aac-sd for the sw118 in working up a load. 178 Amaxes, 175 matchkings are my favorite in that rifle.

And if you get or have a suppressor, the 190 Smks subs are the shit.

Zach

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider Power</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd try the FGMM with 175 match kings first personally. Its a known quantity as far as the ammo's performance, so youll be getting more of an indication of the rifle itself You can take that bullet out further than the 168 match king due to different bullet designs.

I run a variety of bullets through my mine, but the 175 grain class of bullets has been the best overall for me so far. </div></div>

OK, I'm showing my newbie side here...What exactly are the FGMMs?

Federal Gold Medal Match

I have to agree with Zach from Southwest Ammo. My AAC_SD had been all over the place. I used their 175 SMK's today and shot several 1/2 inch groups. My best day with that rifle ever. Order some 175 SMK's from Zach and you will not be disappointed. Groups were tighter with the can. Can't wait for my group buy order to arrive.

I just picked up a 700 AAC-SD, i plan on trying different ammo to see what works best with my rifle. So far Hornady 168gr amax has performed the best. If you are still using the hogue stock i recommend shooting it of a rest or a bag resting the rifle as far away from the front of the stock as you feel needed to keep it as free floating as possible. As you probably know, the stock flexes a lot, if you eliminate this problem you will have a better idea of how the ammunition is shooting out of your rifle.

Yeah, I've definetly noticed the flex in the fore end of the stock. I haven't even gotten a chance to shoot it yet, and already been looking at a stock upgrade. My dang scope I've had ordered since the 9th of this month from Optics Planet still isn't in stock to ship. I'm planning on ordering a box of the 175 SMKs or Amaxs from SWammo and trying the FGMMs 175.

I have heard great things about southwest ammunition. I just got some ammo in from them, if I get out to shoot anytime soon I will let you know how they shoot, but like mentioned before every rifle is going to shoot differently so be sure to try a bunch of different ammunition. I am also looking into a stock upgrade, just saving up.

My AAC-SD likes the 168gr SMKs. Hopefully, I'll finally get to try some 175gr SMKs this weekend

I bedded mine in a HTG stock, my groups tightened up pretty good. I think a better trigger and I might do a tad better.

Zach

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Southwest Ammo, 175gr SMK Match or SW118LR 175gr match

http://www.southwestammunition.com/category_s/75.htm

Either would be great starting places and won't break the bank.
</div></div>

Are these two rounds identical minus the brass? Hmm suppose I should ask Zach. Zach, you reading this?
smile.gif
Same powder charge? Same FPS?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Southwest Ammo, 175gr SMK Match or SW118LR 175gr match

http://www.southwestammunition.com/category_s/75.htm

Either would be great starting places and won't break the bank.
</div></div>

Are these two rounds identical minus the brass? Hmm suppose I should ask Zach. Zach, you reading this?
smile.gif
Same powder charge? Same FPS?</div></div> Same stuff, different brass. The powder charge is adjusted for the different case capacity.

Zach

He is my 700 aac-sd nosler accubonds 165.
45gr varget
Once fired random brass
Oal 2.815

m1V_401CcT1oPAu-pTc5U96DAmdOrsVxHFt39LhNiEs

I'm a new guy, but I wanted to comment on this post. I have the AAC-SD in .308, and placed an order with SW Ammo for the SW118LR. My velocity is about 2539, and I managed a 4.75" 5 shot group at 500 yds last weekend.

This was my second time shooting a high power bolt rifle, and second time shooting this particular ammunition. I have an order pending with Copper Creek, and will report back if anyone is interested.

Chip

My best paper groups at 100 were with the Hornady A/Z max rounds. For 600-875 yards I've had good results with 175gr FGMM.

I had good results with FGMM, Lake City, & Hornady Tap in my LTR. The TAP actually produced slightly better groups which is fine by me. The TAP was cheaper and I haven't needed anymore so haven't priced it lately...

I've shot a few different types of ammo thru my Remmy 700P.
It sure liked FGMM 168s and 175s.
It ate Southwest 175 Match like a fat kid in a Krispy Kreme.
Never shot anything else thru it....I easily found what it liked.

If your gun shoots 175s, leave the 168s alone. I've had the 175s out to 1,000 and they do GREAT. The 168s can get a little weird as distances get longer.

I still have the original hogue stock on mine. I used a dremel with an abrasive drum to relieve the area at the end of the stock around the barrel about 3/32". It doesn't take much to sand that soft material. Now there is no contact between stock and barrel.

I actually went shooting yesterday at 500yds with my 20" sps tactical and was on steel third shot. I dialed 3.3 in elevation (courtesy of IDBs adaptive quick cards) and .3 for wind and was on the money. Then I threw in hornady 168 amax and the card called for the same elevation, first shot bang. It was very easy with the factory ammo.