• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First AR-15.....6ARC or 5.56?

LJT88

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 16, 2019
    Im looking to put together my first AR rifle. It’s going to be more of a dedicated Precision set up....18in barrel, magpul prs stock, higher mag optic.

I feel like your first should probably be a 5.56/223 setup but with the current ammo environment availability and cost of 5.56 (match loading) is hardly and better than 6mm ARC. So I’m tempted to go with the arc and get the superior external ballistics benefits.

Is this dumb? Is there any sort of considerations I may be missing?

I'd really question whether ammo is almost the same. I'm assuming you're not reloading. In a quick search, the only 6mm ARC I could find in stock is $45/20 rd box, so over $2/rd, probably over $3/rd after tax and shipping. Now 5.56 is really scarce, but you can find some 77 gr match loads for under $2/rd and more importantly, plinking ammo still exists and I've seen it near me for $0.60/rd. 6mm ARC seems sweet but not as a first gun, not if you're not reloading and don't have a stockpile of powder and primers.

Go 223/5.56.

It all depends on a whole ton of factors and how the rifle will be used including the distances you have available to shoot at. Unless you already have a lot of ARs I would not base a long term decision on the current ammo environment. While I love the ARC (I am building one now) I also have a few in 5.56. The other beautiful thing is that you can build a lower that is meant for precision shooting and just build two uppers.

If you have a lot longer ranges to shoot at and that's primarily your game then I think 6ARC is a great choice. It's still just starting up though so finding components and 'proven' barrels is not nearly as easy as with 5.56. In a normal time you can find a precision 5.56/223 barrel all over the place.

Also it depends on if you reload or not (in my opinion). A lot of people use the term 'precision' but really what are you wanting to do? There is a whole facet of shooting called PRS (Precision Rifle Series) but then a lot of people that aren't really into a lot of things think "precision" means shooting .25 MOA groups at 100 yards but that's not always how other people in the shooting world use that same word.

Honestly it just depends on what you want to do. Don't take this as being harsh but your question needs to be sharpened up a lot.

Reactions: LJT88
    The arc is great. My partner shot it as his primary rifle at mammoth and did well. Pretty sure he had a 22” barrel.

If you are regularly going to shoot past 600m get one rifle and two uppers. And spray paint bc neither move steel at distance. If mostly under 600, the 556 is plenty viable and you’ll be a better wind caller.

It all depends on a whole ton of factors and how the rifle will be used including the distances you have available to shoot at. Unless you already have a lot of ARs I would not base a long term decision on the current ammo environment. While I love the ARC (I am building one now) I also have a few in 5.56. The other beautiful thing is that you can build a lower that is meant for precision shooting and just build two uppers.

If you have a lot longer ranges to shoot at and that's primarily your game then I think 6ARC is a great choice. It's still just starting up though so finding components and 'proven' barrels is not nearly as easy as with 5.56. In a normal time you can find a precision 5.56/223 barrel all over the place.

Also it depends on if you reload or not (in my opinion). A lot of people use the term 'precision' but really what are you wanting to do? There is a whole facet of shooting called PRS (Precision Rifle Series) but then a lot of people that aren't really into a lot of things think "precision" means shooting .25 MOA groups at 100 yards but that's not always how other people in the shooting world use that same word.

Honestly it just depends on what you want to do. Don't take this as being harsh but your question needs to be sharpened up a lot.
    I am aware of the PRS style of shooting. I have shot a couple matches. Enjoyed it a lot.

I have access to ranges with distances out to 1000m. That being said I do have a 6.5CM bolt gun that I can shoot 1000 and beyond.

I do not reload but would like to get into in the near further!

I was asking the same question back in November. Even though I reload, I went 556 (223wylde) just because components are going to be very hard to come by and I'm going to want to shoot it. I still plan to build a 6mm ar at some point but sadly 2020 has pushed that out to until things calm down

Your first AR should be like your first car.
    Mechanically simple, because you don't know what you don't know. Manual trans so you can actually learn how to drive. No AC, because life is hard. Runs on the cheapest low octane fuel you can find. This is a 5.56/223 AR.
    Then later in life when you've paid your dues and get into something higher performance you appreciate it that much more.

Reactions: RMB
    I'm a 6.8 guy but would go grendel here. ARC looks great but in today's environment, go grendel as you'll get what you need with easier parts acquisition and at a better price imho

So if course your intended use will dictate suitability.

A friend of mine wanted an AR for deer/hog hunting and for getting into shooting out to 1k.

We built him an AR in 6ARC w/22” barrel and he couldn’t be happier. He doesn’t own a 556 upper (yet). He’s not going to do any carbine classes with his 6ARC, but for his needs, the 6ARC is proving to be just the ticket.

Last time I shopped at Basspro they had a full shelf of 5.56. I also don't think ammo shortage will last forever...?

Im looking to put together my first AR rifle. It’s going to be more of a dedicated Precision set up....18in barrel, magpul prs stock, higher mag optic.

I feel like your first should probably be a 5.56/223 setup but with the current ammo environment availability and cost of 5.56 (match loading) is hardly and better than 6mm ARC. So I’m tempted to go with the arc and get the superior external ballistics benefits.

Is this dumb? Is there any sort of considerations I may be missing?
    556 and if you take your time building it, you won’t pay these dumb ass prices.

If you are building or buying an AR right now, you are better buying one of the tier 1 guns. The “cheap” guns have inflated in price so much that you are better off now just spending a little extra and getting the best.

for example, a PSA lower is now $110. I’d rather spend slightly extra and get an LMT lower, that LMT lower is not going to depreciate like that $30 PSA Lower will.

Reactions: alamo5000
    I have a 6ARC and I love it. I have 556 AR's and I love them as well.

I would tell you, if you're concern is ammo availability keep this in mind.

EVERYONE makes 556/223.

Only Hornady makes 6ARC, and there are only 2 SKU's right now (hopefully a 3rd soon). In a normal environment, 6ARC would be harder to come by. In this environment, I'm having serious trouble finding it in stock for reasonable prices. GunBroker auctions are starting at 2+ bucks a round and auction are getting bid up at those prices. I have had to start doing a weekly LGS loop and a daily internet search to find any in stock. Got lucky and found cases at Brownells last week. And happened to walk into an LGS when they just got some (2 box limit though). Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the round, but if you don't have one in 556, I'd go that route first.

I initially wanted to get a 6 ARC but forms a decent deal on a high quality 556 upper with a proof barrel.

so far I have not been disappointed. The only ammo I have fed it though is 77gn Match ammo. Using the heavies it has had better performance than I anticipated. 500 it’s boringly consistent, 600 is doable with out super switchy winds.

feed a 223 a good heavy match bullet and it will impress you. Don’t expect the same results running 55gn fmj

acquiring brass for the 223 is also much easier, practically free if you do range pick up.

5.56 first. With all the demand we're seeing, all production capacity will be pushing towards the cartridges with the highest demand. 5.56 will be much easier to find than 6mm ARC for the foreseeable future. Besides, everyone should have at least one 5.56/.223 AR. You can always add a 6mm ARC upper later when the ammo supply stabilizes a bit.

Your first AR should be a fighting gun, since you clearly dont have one yet.

11.5-16" light, reliable carbine from colt, bcm, lmt, DD , Gmen or KAC.

I would go 224 Val because there is ammo on the shelf.

I'm a 6.8 guy but would go grendel here. ARC looks great but in today's environment, go grendel as you'll get what you need with easier parts acquisition and at a better price imho
    I'd say grendel also, it has great precision at long range for an AR and better ammo options than the ARC. The Wolf steel case is good for move and shoot on a budget and still rings steel out to 400-500 fairly well. Wolf has been about the same cost as 5.56 prices and seems to show up in spurts where a lot of places have it, then none, then a bunch again.

A better round like the Hornady American gunner and you can hit past 600. You can often pick up a used upper at a good price if you look around. My 18" gets about 2 MOA with Wolf steel and sub MOA with match ammo.

I would go into your FIRST AR as a lower and upper.
    Pick one and get to work.
    You could assembly from little parts but a TWO PIN BUILD is an easy way to get started.
    Your second AR would be just another upper. Your third AR could be assembled from little parts.

How far do you plan on shooting? I think thats the real question. If you have the to stretch the legs on you AR then i would lean towards the 6ARC. If you only have the option to go to a 200 yd public range, i would just stick with 556...

I have a 6arc, and I would not recommend it to the casual shooter compared to 556. Even with the ammo shortage, you can go on forums and buy 556 ammo. While it may be at inflated prices, those prices are less than 6arc before the craze. Now 6arc is hard to get and I wouldnt be surprised if Hornady will let it take up production capability from things like 556, 9mm, etc.

if you have to shoot 1000 yards with a small frame AR, then yea you don’t have a choice. If that isn’t the case, I would go 556.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger