• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First AR-15 build Q's

aur0ra145

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2012
DFW, TX
Hello,

After putting off getting an AR-15 for a long while, I decided to jump in to the addiction.

I'm thinking about basing the build off of a SOG Armory lower. Has anybody had any experience with them?

The upper will come from Palmetto State Armory, they seem to have a rather nice M4 style upper which has been properly tested and stuff. The lower parts kit is from Palmetto State Armory and features MOE goodies.

Any advice for a first time builder?

To be honest, I'm pretty well set on everything except the lower, I really have no idea who makes a decent one with mil-spec buffer tube threading. Just one stipulation... NO Zombie stuff

Re: First AR-15 build Q's

You can check our lowers out if you want. We have been getting some great reviews on them and they are a great price as well. PM me if you have any questions, you don't have to settle on ours but I can help narrow it down for you since there are a ton of lowers out there.

We don't do zombie stuff either:)

I actually have a SOG Armory lower, i would say the finish wasnt quite as nice as my previous Spikes Tactical lower but it gets the job done. Picked it up for $95 at a gun show so i couldn't resist. I wouldnt hesitate to get another one.

PSA properly tests their uppers?

I bought one about a year ago and it shipped without a gas tube, essentially making it a single shot upper.

They replaced the whole upper free of charge, but the experience wasn't exactly a confidence builder.

I now buy all of my uppers from Bravo Company.

As for the receiver extension, the threads are all the same size - the difference is the outside diameter behind the threads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: foxtrot-uniform</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PSA properly tests their uppers?

I bought one about a year ago and it shipped without a gas tube, essentially making it a single shot upper.

They replaced the whole upper free of charge, but the experience wasn't exactly a confidence builder.

I now buy all of my uppers from Bravo Company.

As for the receiver extension, the threads are all the same size - the difference is the outside diameter behind the threads. </div></div>

Why are you all hung up on the little things? Don't you know as long as what they bother to send is mil-spec pressure tested and mpi its pure gold in the AR world? Who needs function?
While all manufacturers certainly aren't missing things that bad, it does seem they're all shipping sub par parts for full price on occassion these days, the more reputable seem to be willing to make it right, but I'm not wild on being a QC dept, but that's the game we play with mailorder.

When you roll your own, YOU are now the QC department if building the upper assembly and lower receiver group.

If you plan on shooting it regulalry and expect it to go bang reliably, biggest things to focus on are:

Quality barrel with identifiable chamber of your desire, good steel, correct gas port diameter for gas system length, good crown.

Quality bolt made from tool steel alloy, with a QC process that is equal to the Milspec if you agree that HPT and MPI are good things. I've had excellent results with BCM bolts, Colt bolts, Armalite bolts, WMD Guns NiB bolts, & certain chromed bolts. I've gotten great use out of J&T bolts but reached a breaking point at the cam pin hole at over 10,000rds of high-volume shooting, which is expected when you torture the gun on non HPT/MPI units, althoug they may break as well.

A lot of people make blanket suggestions about extractor buffers, certain springs, and such, but what I've seen is that the extractor and ejector assemblies need to be sorted with quality components, and balanced with each other. Often, the D-fender extractor spring buffer will provide way too much extractor power, and makes it more difficult for the blaster to chamber with unnecessary tension required to snap over the cartridge rim.

Bolt carrier. I prefer to use M16 carriers, with a Milspec chrome-lined and hardened key attached using Permatex or red loctite after degreasing. I like US-made fasteners, not "YFS" Taiwanese units, torqued to 35-40 inch pounds, with Loc-tite in the fastener threads, then staked with a dedicated compression tool, not peening in a vice, since peening can blow your fasteners and seal. This is a critical area of the DI gas system, and a lot of companies have skimped on the Permatex sealant, as they didn't even know about it.

So the basic core stress parts of the carbine/rifle are the heart I focus on first.

Then I move to the recoil system and match it to the gas system. It's a balancing act of dwell time, port diameter, what kind of lock time I want, so I actually take several buffer weights to the range when I test-fire. The 16" legal barrel/Carbine-Length Gas System can pose a lot of problems with 2.9oz buffers, but generally works with 55gr ammo and a smaller gas port diameter. I prefer H2 and H3 buffers for different configurations, especially when we start talking about different calibers.

Quality Chrome Silicon springs have great life to them, but you need to measure your recoil spring every 2,000-4,000rds to see if it needs replacement if you shoout high-volume. If you just plink a few rounds, it won't matter much.

Then you can start looking at what receivers you're using, lower parts kits (not all are created equal), and furniture.

BCM complete uppers are excellent if you want to play it safe on your first AR. Order from them with confidence.

There is a wealth of build guide info from mostly reputable people on youtube, like Brownell's.

Good luck with your project. It's a fun hobby to have.

The only thing that comes to mind when I think of building my own ....

1) Make sure the front Delta Ring or Free Float Tube Ring (whichever you use) is lined up properly from the get-go so that your gas tube line up correctly.

2) A good set of Brownell's AR-15 punches goes a long way in making things easier.

3) Patience is a plus when putting together your own. I've built 8 of my own this year alone, and the first two tended to be slower than the rest. After that you get the hang of it and can do it in your sleep.

SOG is G2G, as is most lowers I have tried. I'd just make sure to get a good upper MSTN, Noveske, Addax Tactical to name a few for accuracy, but PSA is just like everyone else, they use some FN barrels, some Wilson, etc. I have expensive billet lowers but they don't shoot any better than any other unless they have a better trigger. I've shot or own about every brand AR15 made, only thing I stay away from is DPMS(unless its the .308) Remember AR's are Barrel, Trigger, good FF tube or rail.