• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

First AR build, Questions for a newbie....

MWilliams96

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
I am going to be building my first AR. I am going to go with Mega Arms for the lower and upper, from the group buy. My question is, has anyone used the Mega Arms trigger? Is it worth it? Also, for just a paper puncher and hunting rig occasionally, which barrel would you suggest?

Re: First AR build, Questions for a newbie....

No harm ment here, just don't spend a lot of money on your first build. If you don't have advanced shooting skills, there is no difference in equipment, unless you are using "cheaper than dirt" type components. Just use quality USA made parts. As far as triggers go, use a RRA NM match trigger for this one, not fancy, but it's ok, & will help on your shooting mechanics. On bbl choice, go with a 1-8 twist, affords higher bullet weights.
Best of luck to you...Larry

so what weight would you shoot with a 7 twist? Don't mean to hyjack..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2blackdogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so what weight would you shoot with a 7 twist? Don't mean to hyjack.. </div></div>

u could shoot anything between probably 69 to 90 grain with that twist rate.. maybe 55 and 62's.

Daniel Defense makes a nice barrel. A lot of folks like Bravo Company also. If those are in your price range, I think it is hard to go wrong with either. I went with a mid-length gas system. It is supposedly a little less harsh on the gun, and I always thought a 16" barrel with a carbine length gas system looked a bit strange. Plus, you can use a bayonet on a non-SBR barrel with a middy or rifle length - what's not to like?

If there in stock Rainier makes a 16in barrel for under $200 . As for a trigger are you getting a whole lpk or do you already have all the parts minus a trigger ?

I would like to buy a whole LPK with or with out the trigger. I ended up buying a RRA LAR-15 lower this weekend at a local gun show for a good price. I may wait to go with mega until I get the first build under my belt. I almost picked up a DPMS LPK but decided to hold off and see if there were any that would be better, even if it meant spending a little more.

So any input on a LPK, or just piece it together myself?

For what you're going to spend, get a complete Colt 6920 and be done
wink.gif

DPMS kits are OK, but the trigger leave a lot to be desired.

I understand its easier to buy complete than it is to build, but you dont get the option of exactly what you want in every detail. I already have an AR i bought complete, so now I want to build one my self. So, DPMS would be GTG with a different trigger?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marksmatter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plus, you can use a bayonet on a non-SBR barrel with a middy or rifle length - what's not to like? </div></div>

Lol... So can cut holes in papers and stab deer? WTF does anybody really need a bayonet for anymore? And the first person that says when they run out of ammo they can cut off Zombie Heads...