• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First AR10 Build Questions

rsnavy95

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2020
So I recently had a thought of building an ar10 in .308, as a mid-range fun gun to shoot. Being my first build I have a few questions. I was thinking about going with a criterion barrel in which you have the option to get a headspaced bolt, which I feel more comfortable doing be it my first build and I'm not an expert. Problem is I need a bolt carrier to run the bolt in and only one I can find is JP, which is a little expensive. After researching them I just got to confused with if I get a low mass JP BCG I need an adjustable gas block, or if I get the CS Aktive recoil buffer, I can't use a low mass without a adjustable gas block, and the full mass seems too heavy and the VMOS confuses me. Does anyone have any other options for a different bolt carrier to take the JP headspace bolt id get from criterion? or should I just go with the ballistic advantage barrel and get their headspaced BCG ? Too many questions, I apologize. This stuff consumes my mind all day lollll. Im all ears, any barrel, gas block, BCG, buffer recommendations ill take. Thanks for reading my lengthy post, I really appreciate it.

Do yourself a favor,if you want a good first build I suggest you do a one stop shop.

Aero precision is a reputable platform,you can buy everything there and it's going to work.
By going the above route you can change a few things to make it a better gun.
Criterion barrel and bolt are one of the choices I'd make and a trigger would be the second.
You'll end up with a really nice midrange gun that will work and be accurate.
308 AR's become tricky when you start piecing them together

My receiver sets were gonna be aero precision. Only things I wanted to get was a criterion/BA barrel and a larue Mbt2s trigger. As for gas block and buffer? Any recommendations?

My receiver sets were gonna be aero precision. Only things I wanted to get was a criterion/BA barrel and a larue Mbt2s trigger. As for gas block and buffer? Any recommendations?
AREO ,buy their buffer kit
I'm trying to tell you to keep it simple and you'll have no problems.
Aero owns BA

Ravenworks is 100% correct. Large frames aren’t as interchangeable as AR15s. Be sure to get a matched barrel and bolt, or you might have headspace issues. I’m speaking from experience.

I will say one thing, Criterion makes a fine barrel.
I have the 20 and 18 inch Hybrid,they are lights out shooters.
If you are not needing anything as serious you can keep an eye out at Primary arms for BA sales.
It's nothing to pick up a barrel for half off.
They make nice barrels or spares.

Adjustable gas blocks are nice.
As I said before,try to keep the core of the rifle from one manufacturer.

Criterion barrel... Adj. GB ( SLR for me ) , full mass BCG ( again for me ) since most 308 barrels are gassy, IMHO, the added mass keeps the bolt locked milli-second's longer allowing for extraction at lower chamber pressures. Tubbs .308 Flatwire recoil spring.

FYI... Criterion has a fine set of videos concerning AR assm. I firmly believe in truing / lapping the upper receiver face flat, and Loctiting in the barrel ( not everyone does, but the consistently improved precision has made me a believer )

https://criterionbarrels.com/media/accurizing-the-ar-15-video-series/

Fulton armory bolt carrier...https://www.fulton-armory.com/boltcarriertitanstripped-1.aspx

So I recently had a thought of building an ar10 in .308, as a mid-range fun gun to shoot. Being my first build I have a few questions. I was thinking about going with a criterion barrel in which you have the option to get a headspaced bolt, which I feel more comfortable doing be it my first build and I'm not an expert. Problem is I need a bolt carrier to run the bolt in and only one I can find is JP, which is a little expensive. After researching them I just got to confused with if I get a low mass JP BCG I need an adjustable gas block, or if I get the CS Aktive recoil buffer, I can't use a low mass without a adjustable gas block, and the full mass seems too heavy and the VMOS confuses me. Does anyone have any other options for a different bolt carrier to take the JP headspace bolt id get from criterion? or should I just go with the ballistic advantage barrel and get their headspaced BCG ? Too many questions, I apologize. This stuff consumes my mind all day lollll. Im all ears, any barrel, gas block, BCG, buffer recommendations ill take. Thanks for reading my lengthy post, I really appreciate it.
I just sent you a private message.

Reactions: rsnavy95
I built an A.R. 10. With an arrow precision upper and lower. And I got a bolt carrier group and a Krieger barrel from Fulton armory and it was a tech driver.

Reactions: rsnavy95