• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First archery kill

MarcS

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2004
Caldwell, ID
www.spartanrifles.com
I got invited to a buddies place on a private ranch yesterday afternoon for an evening pig hunt. I dropped everything, grabbed my old bow and hauled ass down to the meeting spot.

This is not a trophy but it's my first big game animal with a bow. I've tried for years. I've made countless numbers of blown stalks and a few times I got close enough to close the deal, then missed from misjudging the yardage due to excitement. This little piggy had no such luck. He was with a group and it sort of screwed me up a little bit because I couldn't decide which one to shoot at first, then they detected something they didn't like and started getting skittish. I could tell I had just a moment left before they all bolted. This guy froze for a second in a good spot with a clear lane and good body position so I took the shot in an instant. It all happened very quickly. He stopped for a second with his head down, slightly quartering towards me, and he was at a slightly downward angle from me. I put the arrow right where I wanted it to go it was perfect. I'll never forget the sound of that broadhead crashing into him. He spun around and hit the afterburners then fell over in a few seconds. He made it about 70 yards in that short amount of time. I got a perfect double lung hit on him it was just right. The point stopped in the ribs on the opposite side. It punched through the armor shield on one side, the ribs and all the goodies in the middle, then stopped in the shield on the other side. Almost poked through but not quite.

There were some really big boars in that group but I couldn't get a good line on any of them. It all happened so fast it was kind of chaotic. I had a bunch of pigs all moving around in front of me between different obstacles and different yardages and angles. I stood at full draw going from one pig to another to another for what seemed like an eternity. I was all jacked up on adrenaline and for a second there I thought they would all take off without me launching an arrow. This one just suddenly stood out as a perfect shot opportunity so I whacked him.

He was fairly young and only about 150 pounds. No tusks to brag about either but I could give a shit right now I'm still high from the kill. There's something amazing about being close enough to hear them breathing, then putting a stop to it.
wink.gif

DSC00805.jpg

DSC00799.jpg

Re: First archery kill

dude you need to make another post to get off the post number of 666 bad juju

Thats good stuff. Congrats man. Nice first blood with stick and string.

Congratulations on a great shot, and welcome to an addictive sport!

Congrats! It's obvious from the writing that you're excited about the whole thing; very cool!

good work , the upclose and personal really gets my adrenaline going too . looks like your off to a great start .

Congrats. Hog with a bow is on my to do list.

nice, you killed one of the toughest animals on this planet with a stick and string, ive shot many that ran 20yrds and fell over and ive also spent hours on my hands and knees with a light in one hand and a pistol in the other following blood, good shot man, any hog with a bow is a good one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive also spent hours on my hands and knees with a light in one hand and a pistol in the other following blood</div></div>

That takes some big cajones right there. I tracked a wounded pig through some nasty brambles last year for about 500 yards with a pissant little 4" skinning knife. Talk about PUCKER FACTOR and pretty stupid. Never did find that sucker ........

i figured out real quick that if they run over 100yrds they arnt gonna die <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive also spent hours on my hands and knees with a light in one hand and a pistol in the other following blood</div></div>

That takes some big cajones right there. I tracked a wounded pig through some nasty brambles last year for about 500 yards with a pissant little 4" skinning knife. Talk about PUCKER FACTOR and pretty stupid. Never did find that sucker ........ </div></div>

There is nothing like hunting with a bow. I love when I am within just a few yards of an animal and they don't have a clue I am there. It's kind of spooky when you think about it.