• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Attempt @ 600 yds......

ZackOwns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2011
jax fla
Today in the great state of Ga I was accompanied by my father and we headed out to Cool Acres for a Match @ 600 yrds (My first attempt past 200).. Well I took my USO off my scope yesterday and broke zero so I was pretty much going in blind to something I've never attempted before...

Here's the results

de9rhz.jpg

(sorry about picture quality)

I ended up placing 3rd shooting in F-TR with a total score of 516-5x. I couldn't of been more pleased with my set-up today for my first time ever trying to reach out and shoot something. I was running M118 in what I conciser some wild wind and a shitty view of the target from the wet dirt heatin up in that hot ass sun.. Anyways just wanted to say thanks for all the outstanding info I've learned on this site and the guys out @ cool acres for putting on such a amazing event!

Re: First Attempt @ 600 yds......

Congrats!! You done great for your 1st time... or 1,000th time!!

Always happy to see another Savage shooter kickin it!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcw3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I am not understanding here. Did they let you shoot with that muzzle brake on the rifle? </div></div>
Yes, they allowed muzzle breaks. We shot modified rules. We set up on the end with a hard case as a barricade and the guys next to us said they couldn't really hear us unless they stood up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB19K</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I couldn't of been more pleased with my set-up today for my first time ever trying to reach out and shoot something. </div></div>

It was either dumb luck or good genetics...the latter gets my vote
wink.gif

Seriously though this was a great match. Dub and I both went in blind. To give you an idea of how blind he was he broke zero on a set of windage adjustable rings the day before a shoot with no time to get a new zero. We doped it as best we could last night on a culminator but his 1st shot was in the dirt about 50yds in front of the target. Once I walked him in he was golden.

I took the 98 Bravo out today and it was my 1st time out past 200 yards. I doped it only with Bullet Flight and cold-bored the 10 ring. 2nd leg I cold-bored the X ring. I couldn't believe how this thing was shooting. Given limited experience with scoped rifles I placed 6th in my class. (I shot open class and Dub shot TR)

After some minor technical difficulties with the facility and a pretty late start the staff pulled off a great event on a pretty much untested facility. They did a spectacular job and get a well deserved "Bravo Zulu" from me and Dub. The drive sucked for me but it was well worth the effort. This is going to be a great range once the 800, 1K, and 1.2K lines is up and running.

Here's Dub behind the Savage. I wasn't impressed by this rifle at 1st but today changed my impressions for sure...

499-dub1.jpg

And me behind the Barrett...

502-ba2.jpg

I don't know most of these guys but it was like freakin "deliverance" over there LOL
laugh.gif
501-line1.jpg

Saw a lot of guys covering their sticks with white towels to keep them cool but Dub and I figured that's why God made dozers...

503-dozer.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB19K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was running M118 in what I conciser some wild wind and a shitty view of the target from the wet dirt heatin up in that hot ass sun</div></div>
Damn mirage was downright wicked. I dialed back to 8-power and it was still really bad.

Hey Dub...Too bad we didn't get to run the SASS out that far. I should have left it up there with you since I likely won't be able to make the next match. I'm curious as hell how she'll do.

First time at 600 or not, still a great shoot. Especially you going into it blind. Best of luck on your future shoots. I can see a first place in your future=D

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know most of these guys but it was like freakin "deliverance" over there LOL
laugh.gif
501-line1.jpg
</div></div>

LOL,
Sorry, Ill leave my ol lady at home next time
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sst04</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL,
Sorry, Ill leave my ol lady at home next time
grin.gif
</div></div>

LOL...that was a female. Yikes!!!!

Sorry I couldn't resist an opening like that
grin.gif

Does that place have pits? How's the scoring worked?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: proneshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does that place have pits? How's the scoring worked? </div></div>
Brand new pits. Spotter keeps score.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iShoot17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First time at 600 or not, still a great shoot. Especially you going into it blind. Best of luck on your future shoots. I can see a first place in your future=D </div></div>

Thank! Yeah I had a great time, hopefully my father and I can make it to more comps we have a good time shooting together the 2 1/2 hour drive distance kinda blows tho! All I need now is a 338. so I can smoke his ass. That Barret is a LASER

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: proneshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does that place have pits? How's the scoring worked? </div></div>
Brand new pits. Spotter keeps score. </div></div>
Sweet. Always great to hear of another KD range with pits in civilian hands.