• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing First bedding job

Redandwhite_72

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2014
Missouri
Just got done with my first stock bedding. It's not perfect for sure. But I didn't think it was to bad, being my first one. I'm looking for ways to improve. First, what tape do you guys use? I used blue painters tape. It didn't stick as well as I would have liked to the top edges of the stock. Second, on the left side of the rear action screw a little bit peeled up when I pulled the action out. Is that common with skim bedding or did I not get the stock clean enough? It didn't stick to the action.

I've got a little more clay to clean up, but all in all, I'm going to call it a success for my first one.
a8arubam.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you remove the glossy finish from inside the stock prior to bedding? If not, that could be why that one section peeled up. Also, the bedding will stick better to unfinished wood.

Geb

I never thought of that. I'd say that's why then. I wiped it down well but never thought about sanding off the finish. It's a learning process I guess.

I drill a bunch of small, shallow holes in the area of where I am going to apply the bedding compound to give it some bite.

I never thought of that. I'd say that's why then. I wiped it down well but never thought about sanding off the finish. It's a learning process I guess.

Bedding is a learning process. Your first attempt looks good. As you learn you may grind out this one and do it again but I bet it will be fine.

Hey Red, some good advice given by others as well. Stock prep is no different than, say, er, painting. Getting the finish off of wood and abrading the surface along with an acetone wash after ensures a good bond. Keep up the good work! And by the way, blue painters tape works fine.

Beddings always a learning experience. I just bedded my third stock and just now I'm putting together all the tips from before. White painters tape works well and I use kiwi natural shoe polish as release agent ... I use a piece of 3/4" PVC with some 120grit to remove clear etc. Enjoy!

Beddings always a learning experience. I just bedded my third stock and just now I'm putting together all the tips from before. White painters tape works well and I use kiwi natural shoe polish as release agent ... I use a piece of 3/4" PVC with some 120grit to remove clear etc. Enjoy!

I don't know if my tape is just old and that's why it didn't stick very good or not. I did use kiwi shoe polish. And the PVC is a good idea.