• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing First Blood for New .308

TXBRASS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2009
Shiner, TEXAS
Finished this rifle earlier this year and finally was able to put it to use. After two weekends of guiding hunts for my sons, I was able to sneak off Monday morning for some hunting time of my own. Cattle decided to have an early morning convention under my tree-stand so I decided to spot-n-stalk a near-by field. Saw this guy chasing a doe at the end of the field and was able to stalk to a cedar tree, get prone, and take the shot at about 75 yards. He may not be big by many of your standards, but is the biggest I've taken to date and one of the largest ever taken from our family's ranch. I'm 10X the hog hunter than I am a deer hunter, but this guy got my heart pounding and put the first notch on my new hunting .308. Was using 168gr CorBon Hunter DPX which is like throwing a chainsaw at game. The damage these bullets render is amazing.

Rem 700 - .308 Win
Hart 1:12 ROT @18"
Badger DBM
Shilen Trigger
McMillan M40A1 stock
APA Bolt Knob
Weaver Buck Commander Scope
Eagle Stock Pack

Awesome deer, congrats! Great choice of caliber, very nice rifle!!

Thats a really nice deer,now its time to use that new rifle on some hogs,then share...Great rifle set up!

outstanding deer by my standards. I REALLY like the rifle. what contour is the barrel? my go-to hunting rifle is a .308 with a varmint contour 20" barrel. I could be using something lighter, but heavier is steadier. really like the 18-20" barrels for portability.

Bad ass Rifle and nice tail u got there...how much was the rifle?

I never keep track of that...my wife can't extract information that I can't accurately recall.... :->

Built it over time with many "deals" form here on the Hide.

Prob have $1500 in her total....

outstanding deer by my standards. I REALLY like the rifle. what contour is the barrel? my go-to hunting rifle is a .308 with a varmint contour 20" barrel. I could be using something lighter, but heavier is steadier. really like the 18-20" barrels for portability.

Medium palma barrel I cut down. Muzzle is right at an inch....just a hair under I believe...

Have 5 .308's and only one over 18".... (my duty rifle is 22") absolutely LOVE the shorties....

Last edited:
Hahahah, mine looked at the safe and pointed out "I never seen those two rifles before" I quickly replied "they have always been there, not."

I never keep track of that...my wife can't extract information that I can't accurately recall.... :->

Built it over time with many "deals" form here on the Hide.

Prob have $1500 in her total....

Very cool, what do you think of that scope? I was thinking about snagging one.

I shoot the Weaver Tactical on both my duty rifles and absolutely love the quality of Weaver. This scope has impressed me thus far. For a hunting rifle, it does all that I need it to. The two drop mil-dots are dead-on at 200 and 300 for my rifle as well. Happy as can be with it....

Good to hear!

I am testing out a grandslam on my hunting rifle this year and so far I've been impressed.

Nice buck Sir, and a beautiful short handy rifle! Thanks for the story and picture, I love hunting season and especially when folks share their experiences.
LX

Hahahah, mine looked at the safe and pointed out "I never seen those two rifles before" I quickly replied "they have always been there, not."

I have found that the key is to be always building one for yourself or friends. Impossible to keep up with what is what.

i believe the corbon DPX is a barnes TSX

in 308 speeds try the 130 grain ttsx launched at 3000-3100 and see what that does

ive been using it for a few years now and its lethal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nice buck! Here in west texas i think our biggest dear is the size of a german sheperd. Think you can kill them with a bb gun;) by sept of next year ill have my 260 from marc to wear a few out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk