• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First bolt action rifle finished. :)

pklin1297

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Fontana, CA
Long time comin', but finally have my first bolt gun finished ready to shoot.

Howa 1500 .308 24" 1-10 twist
RWS Holland-style brake installed by Randall @ AR15Barrel
Kampfeld bolt knob installed by Mark @ SAC
Harris Style bipod
B&C Medalist Tac Stock Tan with Black web
Duracoat Tac FDE and Tac Matte Black done by me
TPS 35mm .950" rings
USO SN3 TPAL 3.2-17x

Can't wait to take the rifle to the range and try it out. Eventually it will have either Roedale's DBM for Howa, or CDI's DBM for Howa installed, and the stock will be painted with Duracoat or Krylon.

Now to load some rounds for it...

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

Re: First bolt action rifle finished. :)

Very Nice!!!

I'll be very interested to see how a Howa performs. I've looked at quite a few but never owned or shot one.

If it is anything like the Howas that a friend of mine owns (couple of .308s, .243 and .223), it will be very good. His rifles in factory wood stocks shoot very well.

That won't work.

Ship it to me and I will test it for a year, work out the bugs, and return it well broken in . . . . .
whistle.gif

Seriously, that is a sweet rig!

BMT

Thanks guys. Axeman, I will shoot it first to see how it performs before I decide whether to bed it or not. So far with the "screwing only rear screw" test the rifle didn't show there was a stress point (front didn't raise up), but I might end up bedding it anyway. The scope rail is already bedded.

Well people say don't go cheap on the scope, and it should be the same price, or more than the rifle...
laugh.gif
This scope is more than 2x the price of the rifle.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Great looking rifle.

I didn't know Howas were 1-10" twist. Or is that an aftermarket barrel?

Legacy is showing the latest 308 imports with 10 twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MWDG3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Legacy is showing the latest 308 imports with 10 twist. </div></div>

You're right, they are 1-10" twist. Very interesting.

Now if they'd only update their 224 and 6.5mm bores, we'd all be happy!

I was hoping to get a .243 Howa in the beginning, until I saw the twist rate. This will do.
smile.gif