• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First bolt action?

My experience with Savage was the equivalent of "Go pound sand". Never buying Savage ever again. QC was sh*t.

Part of why I'm a Vortex optics fan. They pick up the phone when you call, actually support their products, and the warranty is legit.

My experience with Savage was the equivalent of "Go pound sand". Never buying Savage ever again. QC was sh*t.

Part of why I'm a Vortex optics fan. They pick up the phone when you call, actually support their products, and the warranty is legit.
I had just the opposite experience with Savage , Twice . Small sample size . I know longer own and Savage rifles but customer service is not the reason . They all shot well , I knew what I was buying at that given price .

I had just the opposite experience with Savage , Twice . Small sample size . I know longer own and Savage rifles but customer service is not the reason . They all shot well , I knew what I was buying at that given price .
CG/Fabarm is the best I`ve encountered. My experience with Remington was very good as well, even right up to the original company`s demise.

Last edited:
I guess since you brought up proof barrels. I do run them on my hunting rifles to be able to run a suppressor while not weighting too much. However you do get a cut rifled barrel with proof vs hammer forged barrel with Tikka. So you are getting a better barrel.

As far as 308win goes. I still enjoy shooting mine, even my 16" cross out to 950yds. I have other easier guns to shoot. But it is still a lot of fun.

the expense of a magnum, which nearly all require handloading to get the most out of them, is a poor choice for a first rifle.

6.5 creedmoor gives the balance of readily available quality factory ammo, with a modern long ogive projectile that goes transonic beyond 1000 yards

I agree you don’t need a magnum. Especially for your first rifle and intentions